Autocom UK/US

Jacal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if these are the same company? as they don't seem to be talking the same language :nenau

The reason -
I'm having trouble getting the Autocom to receive a phone call at a audio level I can hear, it just mutes! Been in touch with Autocom UK and they put it down to speaker placement, s'funny it didn't cause trouble with the 2610 but hey ho, try owt to make it work:rolleyes: .

Autocom US don't/wont sell the 1299 lead and ask peeps to send their units back to them for modification! I have spoken to a nice man at Autocom, who said he didn't know why they had said that, as there was no issues with the 1299 lead :mmmm

I now have a princely sum of nearly £700 for a ZUMO GPS and Autocom kit 200, that will only work in a fashion :tears

Please I don't need any solutions that intails the volume settings on the Zumo or the phone, or if it is in Aux2, it is!

What I do need help with is 'WHY' the incoming caller is muted?

phone goes in Aux 1, GPS in Aux 3.
Do you have your riders volume up enough. and yes is the phone volume up enough. Phone volumes are set lowish for use with in ear systems and not speakers on a motorbike, so you have to turn their volume up.
Are you connecting the phone direct to the autocom or going through the bluetooth in the zumo?

We are Autocom as in the main manufactures/HQ within the UK Autocom America are our distributors.

The Zumo's are lower in volume to the 2610's due the units being smaller in size so we have found that speaker placement within the helmets is a lot more critical. Believe me its what I am doing from day to day either with customers being booked in or giving my advice over the phone or via emails.

Top Gear WILL be selling the Part 1299's but do not have stock as yet so this is untrue.

Modification wise they are having our early Active Plus's and Super Pro AVi's returned to solder a link on the main mother board to turn the power onto the AUX 1 socket so our new Bluetooth dongles can be powered from them ain control units. Nothing needs to be modified on our latest systems to allow for the Zumo's to used.

Rich

There ya go, didn't need/ want any advice about VOLUME but got it, the volume is set to MAX on everything! and as far as which Aux socket to connect to, Autocom State 2 not 1,3 or any other but 2! when using the 1299 lead.

The phone is connected thro the Zumo using 'Bluetooth' and when you answer, the incoming mutes, the volume on the MUSIC and the DIRECTIONS is fine.

Oh and if I take the headphones out and put them to my EARS, it's still the bloody same, IT MUTES, What is it you don't understand about this.

Not a very HAPPY CHAPPIE :spitfire

Have you checked that the zumo and the phone work ok together, A mate had a problem like this with a tomtom (no Autocom unit involved), turned out to be a fault with his tomtom connecting correctly to his phone, tomtom got replaced

Thank's 'terayon' been there done that, got the ferkin t-shirt. I thought the Nokia N80 was the fault when it wouldn't automatically log my phone book over, I thought it might just be the cause.

Sooooo, another £60 spent on a Motorola Razr that I know is compatible and guess what, still no go.

I have also tried powering the zumo straight from the battery as opposed to the back light, still no joy.

A friend of mine has an older Autocom system and although he had to buy a cable to stop the interference, he's works fine.

Amazing how all these extra bits that you are told you need add up:spitfire

Mighty PI%%ED OFF, I'll tell you.

The Zumo's are lower in volume to the 2610's due the units being smaller in size so we have found that speaker placement within the helmets is a lot more critical. Believe me its what I am doing from day to day either with customers being booked in or giving my advice over the phone or via emails.

Top Gear WILL be selling the Part 1299's but do not have stock as yet so this is untrue.

Modification wise they are having our early Active Plus's and Super Pro AVi's returned to solder a link on the main mother board to turn the power onto the AUX 1 socket so our new Bluetooth dongles can be powered from them ain control units. Nothing needs to be modified on our latest systems to allow for the Zumo's to used.

Rich

Hi there Rich, thanks for the reply but if I can take issue with a couple of point's.

1. as far as I am aware and what you told me over the phone is that 'speaker placement' is ALLWAYS critical and you felt sure that 'that' was my problem. You advised me to take the speakers out of my helmet and put them to my ears, this would then prove you was right, I've done this and guess what mate, it STILL MUTES

2. You say Top Gear will be selling the lead but do not have any stock, well from reading post's on The Zumo forum, they haven't had any stock for a ferkin long time and seeing as my post 'read' "Wont/Don't" sell the lead, I think to call it an untruth is a bit much!

3. The only solution I have had from your good self is the above (which doesn't work) or to ride all the way down to you and have the helmet speakers fitted and give you more money :tears I give in!

If I had bought a monitor for my computer and it was broken, they would fix it at no extra charge or any goods bought.

What Autocom have done so far is sell me 2 items, best part of £200 and then want me to take a day's ride to you and spend more money, for what should work form the box or with advice.

It's not on mate!

Dont flame me for the suggestion but......dont use the Autocom unit (perhaps they will give you a refund)

I just plug my helmet headset/mic into my 2820 using the £25 Zumo lead from Starcom (2.5mm and 3.5mm Din plugs to headset plug CAB 25) and it works great. AFAIK the Zumo is exactly the same output as the 2820.

My phone bluetooths with the Sat Nav, I can take calls (up to about 75mph) and listen to the Mp3 (up to about 90mph) without issue.

Best of all Its simple, therfore IMHO reliable, cheap and free from interfeance. When I dismount I only have to unplug the headset lead, I dont have to worry about the autocom unit or any other leads.

The only downside that I can see is on the rare occasions that I dont have the Sat Nav on the bike, I have no phone connection to the headset (ohh and I cant talk to passengers that I never carry anyway- she has got her own BMW :) )

What Autocom have done so far is sell me 2 items, best part of £200 and then want me to take a day's ride to you and spend more money, for what should work form the box or with advice.

I have been dealing with Autocom staff for a long time. I am positive that if you ride down there, they will not charge you for any time fixing faults on their equipment.
If their stuff is faulty, then they will replace the unit (s) until you are satisfied.
Autocom usually carry stocks of Zumo's - so they could swap that out to check if it faultly - and could try your set up with their own mobile phones.
If have never heard of a soul who left the factory not completely satisfied.

I've no connection with Autocom - and I'm sure Starcom/Intaride/Baehr would treat you the same if it was their kit.

I have done nothing but praise them for going on ten years, best thing since sliced bread and all that, but I haven't had a problem before! I am now finding out the after sales service (should it be called that on NEW sales?) to be honest a round trip of 270 miles to fix new equipment and also be expected to pay for it isn't really on.....IS IT?

If someone asked you to buy their product and told you that if it didn't work you would have to do the above, would you honestly buy it?

I have done nothing but praise them for going on ten years, best thing since sliced bread and all that, but I haven't had a problem before! I am now finding out the after sales service (should it be called that on NEW sales?) to be honest a round trip of 270 miles to fix new equipment and also be expected to pay for it isn't really on.....IS IT?

If someone asked you to buy their product and told you that if it didn't work you would have to do the above, would you honestly buy it?

I suspected that the 2820 + bluetooth phone + Autocom might be tricky and had the instal done at the factory. I walked out satisfied because I tested everything before I left.
The pain of a tedious 160-mile round trip along the M1 & M45 to Warwick was worth it for the (hopefully!) trouble-free operation thereafter.

Really, if you look at the other threads on this discussion board, you will find similar frustrations and occasional "trips to the supplier" for Intaride and Starcom users. They are all trying to do their best but nothing is perfect and over-the-phone diagnosis when there are 3rd-party products involved isn't easy .
I do appreciate your frustration after 10 years of happy Autocom usage

people seem to be missing the point here. why should jacal have to go anywhere? isnt the product a plug and play unit? it should work out of the box...

people seem to be missing the point here. why should jacal have to go anywhere? isnt the product a plug and play unit? it should work out of the box...

Cheers FBF, seems we're on the same wavelenght, I don't think it's acceptable to be doing a 270 mile trip, seems like some peeps do, I DON'T!

What really infuriates me is, I asked before I purchased part 1299 if there was any issue with it and was assured that it would work!

They also asked me if the box that the 200 was in had a Astrix on it or not, seems like there's NEW and OLDER stock out there of the same products?

Hmmmm, buyer beware! how are we supposed to know :rolleyes: and does it make a difference, if not why ask? :mad:

1, Muting wise this will always happens due to how our systesm are designed, the AUX 2 socket is designed to run MP3 players so the music mute option will help you to talk over the music so you do not have to shout. If the Zumo lead was plugged into AUX 1 it would cancel out anything else plugged into the system like a bike to bike radio due to AUX 1 taking priority. Aux 3 will not all allow for the Zumo to be used fully really only the GPS side. So to stop the phone from muting when you speak the only way around this would be to take the mute feature of your Active main mother board which we can do for you no probems but we would need you here or your system sending back to us.

2, Wont is the untrue bit, I can tell yuo the leads are on order from us direct so within the next week or two the leads will be with them.

3, 5 mins of my time to check a helmet fit over is not worth charging for and not really needed.

So we or I am not out to make you spent more money than is needed. If you sit down and actually look at how the Garmin Zumo is desinged we are actually solving a lot of problems that are not really ours. If you were to run other systems the low volume issues will be still be the same. Mute wise maybe not but the AUX 2 sockets on our systems are the only sockets available to allow the GPS, phone and music to be all listended to at the same time.

I can get your problems sorted and once you have been to us with a modded board and helmet check over I can pretty much guaranty you will be a happy chappy so hopefully you can start to say good things about us and not all bad things like it seems from your posts!

Rich

Hi there Rich, thanks for the reply but if I can take issue with a couple of point's.

1. as far as I am aware and what you told me over the phone is that 'speaker placement' is ALLWAYS critical and you felt sure that 'that' was my problem. You advised me to take the speakers out of my helmet and put them to my ears, this would then prove you was right, I've done this and guess what mate, it STILL MUTES

2. You say Top Gear will be selling the lead but do not have any stock, well from reading post's on The Zumo forum, they haven't had any stock for a ferkin long time and seeing as my post 'read' "Wont/Don't" sell the lead, I think to call it an untruth is a bit much!

3. The only solution I have had from your good self is the above (which doesn't work) or to ride all the way down to you and have the helmet speakers fitted and give you more money :tears I give in!

If I had bought a monitor for my computer and it was broken, they would fix it at no extra charge or any goods bought.

It's not on mate!

1, Muting wise this will always happens due to how our systesm are designed, the AUX 2 socket is designed to run MP3 players so the music mute option will help you to talk over the music so you do not have to shout. If the Zumo lead was plugged into AUX 1 it would cancel out anything else plugged into the system like a bike to bike radio due to AUX 1 taking priority. Aux 3 will not all allow for the Zumo to be used fully really only the GPS side. So to stop the phone from muting when you speak the only way around this would be to take the mute feature of your Active main mother board which we can do for you no probems but we would need you here or your system sending back to us.

2, Wont is the untrue bit, I can tell yuo the leads are on order from us direct so within the next week or two the leads will be with them.

3, 5 mins of my time to check a helmet fit over is not worth charging for and not really needed.

So we or I am not out to make you spent more money than is needed. If you sit down and actually look at how the Garmin Zumo is desinged we are actually solving a lot of problems that are not really ours. If you were to run other systems the low volume issues will be still be the same. Mute wise maybe not but the AUX 2 sockets on our systems are the only sockets available to allow the GPS, phone and music to be all listended to at the same time.

I can get your problems sorted and once you have been to us with a modded board and helmet check over I can pretty much guaranty you will be a happy chappy so hopefully you can start to say good things about us and not all bad things like it seems from your posts!

Rich

I'm not trying to tell you how to 'suck eggs' but 'with respect' maybe I should tell you how to read my post's!

I'm not disputing which 'Aux socket' it as to be connected to, so why make an issue of it.

Of course the music and directions mute but muting is also on 'THE INCOMMING CALLER' as in, you can't hear them speak! even if I TAKE THE BLOODY MIKE OUT, as for 'taking the mute facility out' which is not acceptable, suggests to me that you know about this problem ?

Sorry to shout be you seem to be having trouble hearing me!

As for the 'UNAVAILABILITY' of the leads, tell the ZUMO forum and not me, I'm sure they will be happy to hear it.

Right, now we seem to be back to the old chestnut of speaker placement, you asked me to take them out and see if it still did it (read my post please) I did this and it still happens but I think we both knew this, as for "solving problems that are not really yours" why do you not state this when selling the lead or Intercom system, I was assured by whoever toke the order for the lead, that there was no issues and it would solve the problem, 'Also' if this was happening to one of your competitors, then I would be having this conversation with them!

"3, 5 mins of my time to check a helmet fit over is not worth charging for and not really needed."

To be honest I expect the company to sort my problems out and you have 'in a roundabout way' offered to do so, what I do find unacceptable is that it involves me doing a 270 mile round trip, a mod that would more than likely make the system unsuitable for what it was purchased for, and the dam cheek of you saying the above quote! is this your policy on new equipment ?

Now I am sorry if you find this and my other post "bad things" their not meant to be, I'm only stating what service and assistance I have had up to press but if you had or will answer the specific questions and with an acceptable solution, I'm sure I would indeed be an "happy chappie"

Back
Top Bottom