Zumo (or Mapsource) causing embarrassment

mandoonsouf

Reaction score
Every time I try to demonstrate the power of sat-nav it lets me down. "Just type in the place name and go!" I may say - the sat-nav says no! :mad: Why is Tolly Hill for example not on the maps? It has its own road signs and is bigger than other places nearby.

Well I can't find Tolly Hill in MS Autoroute or Google maps if thats any consolation, is it a small village?

I find the best way to demonstrate the effectiveness of GPS devices, is not to...

Murphy hangs around the engineer's world that is the Global Positioning System, and any attempt to impress friends with the device is bound to end in embarrassment. :D

I always go out of my way to downplay the system, advertising it's quirks... then I get on with the business of simply getting to where I'm going, occasionally expressing surprise when a search term works, or if some obscure shop is in the database...

But then again my alternate navigation device (my wife) is always (and has always been) looking for an opportunity to shoot the darn thing down...

So even without trying to impress anyone, I've had a few chances to get embarrassed with it's decision making... (driving through downtown Paris on the 60C basemap was one such time that I still get nightmares about... :eek:

Al...

Smallish - but does have a primary school. Odd:confused:

Are you sure that's the right spelling, I've Googled Tolly Hill and it doesn't bring up one result. I'm sure a place with a school would provide at least one result :nenau

Doh!

I am an idiot - TORRY Hill - velly solly :eek: I found it on the OS Get-A-Map site grid reference TQ 904 573 as the search does not find it here either.
I wonder if the people there pay poll tax.

Wow, how nice of them to paint the nearest town's place name on the grass, just the thing if you're in an aircraft and lost :cool:

And a helicopter landing place as well.

I am an idiot - TORRY Hill - velly solly :eek: I found it on the OS Get-A-Map site grid reference TQ 904 573 as the search does not find it here either.
I wonder if the people there pay poll tax.
Streetmap.co.uk which uses OS mapping finds it ok, but Map24 which uses Navteq mapping doesn't... Suspect that as the OS knows about them then so does HMRC and all other collectors of tax :cool:

It just looks like a big farm to me :)

Your right - nothing much there, although I saw this Eton Fives court that is there somewhere

The roads nearby are nice to pootle about on though.

Attachments

• torry_1.jpg
    torry_1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 153

Back
Top Bottom