Zumo First Impressions

tcbandituk

Hi, first time posting on here as I've been lurking, deciding whether to buy a Zumo or not.
I ended up getting one from MNC (after seeing the mentioned in a thread on here) with interest free finance :D
Turned up nice and prompt and they replied to my enquiries via email very promptly also :thumb2

Having set it up and tried it in the car briefly today, I thought I'd pass on my thoughts as a prior Quest/SP 111 owner for what it's worth.

I've set it up to work on the bike with a Scala BT headset,this was no problem and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

It takes a long time to boot up even with no SD card in it.
Not sure if I prefer the 3d screen after using 2d on the Quest, but I'll stick with it to see if it's just a case of getting used to it.
It seems to have been seriously dumbed down compared to the Quest and even the SP111. I had read about this here and elsewhere but didn't realise quite how much has been removed. I keep going to adjust a setting that was adjustable on the Quest to find you can't do it on the Zumo (advanced warnings etc)
The volume with the Scala headset seem fine (trialled sitting in the sitting room though :D ) but it's way too quiet in the car and no volume adjustment on the speaker :mad:
The bluetooth seems good and it's nice not to have to have wires dangling when using the GPS :thumb

All in all I'm pleased with it, but I just think it could have been a lot better if they had kept a lot of the functionality that was already on older units.
If they didn't want to scare people off with lot's of adjustability just have a auto user setting and advanced user setting like they do with cameras etc :rolleyes:

cheers
TC

Thanks for posting your views, Bandit. I'm half-heartedly thinking about changing my Quest 2, but this doesn't make the Zumo seem particularly attractive...

Thanks for posting your views, Bandit. I'm half-heartedly thinking about changing my Quest 2, but this doesn't make the Zumo seem particularly attractive...

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the Zumo and think it's a definite step up from the Quest in a lot of respects but it's frustrating to find half the bells and whistles removed (some were just toys, others were useful....) As I said could have been even better with very little effort from Garmin.....
I'd still recommend one, even with my limited use of it :thumb

Back
Top Bottom