Bagster mapholder WATERPROOF?

daver

Hey all,

I'm wondering if the mapholder from Bagster is waterproof. The reason for my question is that I'm buying the Bagster Tankcover. I'm also planning to put a MP3-player on my tank (in the mapholder) so I can control the player through the plastic. I have looked at remote control MP3-players and then put the player in my jacket but the RC's are not easy to control with gloves (and waterproof?).

I don't want to get a tankbag either since I'll not use it (have 2 sidecases and a topcasse). So my main question is:
is the Bagster mapholder waterproof enough (without an additional raincover) to put an expensive piece of electronics in it?

like always thanks in advance...

Hi Dave

I have the map cover and have no problem putting the mini-disc and mobile in it - the bottom strip is fastened with a strip of velcro to seal it.

I have used it in rain but, to be honest, not really heavy rain so can't really say. If I have doubts when I have the tank bag on I place it in plastic.

With reagrds the control unit - I simply leave it trailing from the bottom of the bag in good weather and stash it if rain threatens.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Baglux Mapcase

Top piece of kit IMHO,used the same one since 1996 without a hitch.
My maps have stayed dry in 'all day rain' and torrential downpours in Europe and UK.
However whether I would use with a piece of sensitive electronic kit,don't know...............
Even with a cover you may get a problem.
You could drill the base of the topcase and feed a wire through and make it waterproof with a grommet/silicone to use on those 'really wet days', otherwise in showers/drizzle you should be ok with the mapcase.

Jim and JohnnyBoxer, thanks for the replies,

I'm ordering the tankcover anyhow in the next couple of weeks, so I'll order the mapholder with it (can't be that expensive).
So in the meantime I'm buying a new mp3-player (Ipod looks gorgeous but bloody expensive, the Creative Jukebox 2 10GB for +- 300 euro seems a good deal).

Then the wait for some rain starts, but won't be that long here in Belgium so I'll know pretty soon if it holds the rain. But reading your replies I'm pretty confident it will.

BTW I hope the mapholder can house a "thick" mp3-player of +- 3.2 cm...

I've used the Bagster map cover to hold my Archos Jukebox in & had no problems whatsoever. However, I do find that a map that touches the velcro fastening at the bottom of the mapcover will 'wick' rainwater in through the velcro - but doesn't affect the mp3 player as thats further up the map cover.
HTH.

Hi Ralphy,
thanks for the hands on experience. Seems like your Archos Player is approx. the same size as the Creative so I'm confident it'll fit.

Let's get out the creditcard ! :D :coold :D

I finally bought the Creative Jukebox 2 (10GB HD) put it into the bagster mapholder (on blue/white bagster tankcover). Had the dealer install headphones in my helmet et voila, works like a charm.
I haven't ridden in the rain, but looking at your reactions I'm pretty confident it wiil stay waterproof.
The player never had any hick-ups due to bad roads(and I've done a lot of them to test the shockproff ability :D ).

I always wear earplugs (Alpine) and even with them in, the musicvolume is spot on, even at 150 km/h. Just great, how could I ever rode without it?

BTW I still hear a good amount of environment noises like cars and so on. So it seems to me that the audio on my bike isn't that intrusive as the audio in a car. I recommend it to everybody who wants some music when riding.

map case

no , the bagster map case is not all day waterproof ,slip it inside a plastic document wallet as well [ cost only a quid ] handy pocket though for specks, guide book odds and sods and a good alternative to a tank bag for a day out.

Back
Top Bottom