Touring Tools For 12GS

PPPPPPP... prior prep and planning...

just back from 4500 in 9 days miles through denmark/sweden/norway.

the tools i 'used' in addition to the std underseat kit were:
1 x Long nosed pliers (stranded honda ST1100) - his bake brake bound and set his pannier/left boot/brake pad on fire.
1x Zip ties (to fix a scottoiler on my companians bike)
1 x BMW Main dealer: to replace the warped front discs that appeared on the way to stockholm.:blast
1x v5 document/insurance doc /owners manual - made the warranty work a doddle!
1x foot pump & accurate tyre pressue guage
1x jump leads

600 miles through stunning mountains and glacial valleys with no front brakes - forced me to ride properly! The renewed brake rotors i got fixed in the dealer under warranty wasn't a show/journey stopper. it was a nice to have.

In short, take enough tools to feel confident that you can fix things within your own parties mechanical abilities. If you know your bike and have ridden prior to the trip not much should be a surprise - to be honest i noticed the brakes before i went but did nothing about it; :blast

I would also recoomend getting new tyres, my mate was down to the canvas with 400 miles left to go till home - still he got there unaided :aidan

Plan as much as possible for the type of weather - fathe plateau in norway was a tad cold - and plan for your destinations in case you need assistance, check things like where the main dealer locations are - seriously!

Also, take mondial assistances number, if you are a member or not, as they can locate dealers/shops for you if needed.

The number of solo riders we saw/chatted to along the route means that even if you are riding alone there may be someone along to help - just dont rely on it.

above all, enjoy it :beer:

unless you're going miles away into less developed place or away from civilisation i wouldnt bother with most of that first list. Outtomunch's list is much more realistic.

I've done 2000 mile trips around europe on a CBR600 and didnt take any bike spares apart from my breakdown cover number. Just make sure the bike is in good order before you set off, and keep an eye on oil n tyre wear. I think only thing i would consider is puncture repair kit (the plugs and CO2 type).

I agree, ive just done 2.5k in france and spain and all i took was breakdown
cover, and put ultraseal in my tyres before i left. The chances are if you take
spares & tools ,you still wont have what you need if the bike goes wrong.
I like to travel as light as possible.

OK... for the pessimistic amongst us... here is another suggestion (which came fron my helpful local BMW dealer.....

Somewhere near the ignition switch is a ring, which senses the key and allows us to start our 1200's. That sensor ring is known to fail leaving us stranded. A spare costs about £70... carry it. If main one fails, you unplug it and temporarily plug the spare one in to allow the key sensing bit, then start the engine.

I may have also misunderstood, but it may be possible to disconnect the spare and reconnect the duff one as long as the canbus hasn't shot down... which is about 15 secc.

:D

On the same lines as GrinningGSer

Consider carrying the fuel pump relay thingy. If it goes you're banjaxed. (that is a technical term for being stuck on a motorway in Slovemia with a bike that just wouldn't start. 36 hours later in Trieste Italy 5 minutes to diagnose and replace...cost of part about £47 ..worth carrying...but also read work around articles on this site. Why is it that you become a sage on these matters after the event!!!

my 2c worth

Hi all,
I agree with the basic sentiment of carrying the minimum, but I think that if you travel on a GS without the full range of Torx bits, you are tempting fate. The reason for this, is that so few other manufactureres use Torx, so you may be stuck by the roadside and nobody with a Jap/Italian/other can help.
Just my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom