Tank Bags

(RIP) Sugar Ray

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2 questions -
Are the BMW tank bags worth the £135 they cost?
If so, is there anywhere I can get one for less than the list price?
I'm off to France in a couple of weeks, and think I might fit a tank bag for the odds & sods I don't want to put in the panniers.

Regards,

Charles

Charles.

I'm pleased with my Touratech VP45 tank bag - just right for carrying bits in. I think it can be had for less than the BMW bag and that's with the side panniers.

Leave the side bags open and it's quite possible to reach in and grab a bottle of water and have a drink as you ride.

Available from

BRACKEN

Russ.

Attachments

• vp45.jpg
    vp45.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 402
Try a HELD bag

Best Buy in Ride magazine, Sep 02 - first rate. Bag is waterproof (including zips) without a separate cover, converts to a backpack and attaches fine with either a magnetic or strapped baseplate.

Costs about £70 plus another £25 or so for the baseplate.

Top stuff.

Attachments

• held tankbag 4212.jpg
    held tankbag 4212.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 393
Agree with Russ - the VP45 is the business.

Mike

ps Can't agree with his choice of colour for the sheepskin.....:yikes

Thanks for the response - the Touratech bag looks bigger than I really want. Has anyone got a photo of the BMW bag - please?

Regards,

Charles

You can find it on all decent BMW-sites

BMW tankbag
tank_bag.jpg

Thanks Daver

I'll choose between the BMW & the Hein Gericke one I think, I'll have a look at them this weekend.

Regards,

Charles

Held bag is available...

... from several places such as here .

I really like the fact that the bag is waterproof and doesn't need a separate cover.

Charles, the BMW bag is small and so is the Touratech bag. In fact the Touratech bag without the side bags version is only slightly bigger that the BMW one.

I have had both the BMW one and now a Touratech one, which is heaps better.

The map holder on the BMW one leaks water like a sieve onto your maps as it isn't sealed around the sides. The Touratech one has an instantly de-mountable A4 map holder which can be handed to a pillion or a mate on his bike, then re-velcroed just as quick, genuine velcro I think.

Don't know about the other ones but the touratech one is possibly the best tankbag I've had since my Elefantboy in the seventies, and I've had a few tankbags.

Mick.

I've had a BMW bag for a few months now. The map pocket is virtually useless, since it only secures with a couple of poppers and a piece of velcro. The expanding part concertinas into the bottom part and is the best device i've ever come across for carrying huge amounts of water, which slowly seeps into the contents of the bag while you are not looking. If you do fit the yellow waterproof cover it quickly resembles a demented jellyfish at anything over 25MPH while steaming up at the sligthest sign of moisture rendering the above mentioned map pocket even more useless.

Another overpriced gem from our friends at BMW.

:mad:

Baglux system

I put a baglux on mine and not regretted it - you get a choice of bag, a very high level of stability and security plus the tank is protected all the time - looks kinda cool too.

The folk at Baglux UK are also phenomenally helpful

Tel :01745338080

Highly recommended

Paul:)

Thanks for the tip-off Jim, but whenever I've bid for ebay items they nearly always seem to finally go for almost the new price! This one's got 5 days to go yet, so I'll keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, my dealer has offered a discount down to only (!!) £120.
Regards,
Charles

Hi Charles, it's now a long time later but if you're still looking I have a BMW bag for sale.
Rgds,
Simon

Hi Simon

Too late - I ended up buying the BMW one, and having just returned today from doing 1900 miles around France in the last 8 days, I'm well pleased with it. Only drawback for me was the price!
Regards,
Charles

Back
Top Bottom