White Horse Historical Tour Sunday 20th May 2007

The Ridgeway opens 1st May.

I've been out for the past couple of days in the Landy & almost all tracks in this area are hard & bone dry. IMO - If the weather continues to be dry, Tourances would probably be fine.

M

Cool, I knew it reopened sometime around now, I didnt realise it was 1st May though

Is this open to all bikes? Got a mate on a KTM that might be interested...

Is anyone allowed to join in?

Sounds like fun is anyone allowed to come along. Would i manage the route on a 2006 GS with Trailmax's?

Cheers,

Mark

Cool, I knew it reopened sometime around now, I didnt realise it was 1st May though

Is this open to all bikes? Got a mate on a KTM that might be interested...
Yes, the Ridgeway is open to all bikes

:D

Sounds like fun is anyone allowed to come along. Would i manage the route on a 2006 GS with Trailmax's?
Anyone is welcome to follow along.

Not sure what a Trailmax is like - the route is mainly tarmac roads - not many byways (none of the byways are what I would call "muddy") - the byways have alternative tarmac ways around if you don't fancy trying the byway on the day for whatever reason.

Last time the Pub lunch stop took a bit too long and meant that several people didn't have time to eat chocolate fudge cake ".

That pub had roast potatoes to die for :bounce1 :bounce1

I'm up for it...Currently on duty until 1400 but may be able to get the day off....

Let's hope so:rob

I would very much like to join this ride too, if I may - providing it doesnt rain too much between now and 20th May cos I'm on road tires.

Aaaaargh!

Can't make it.

Sod's law dictates I shall be burning the food at a family barbeque.

Apparently "... I told you about this ages ago..."

Nin

I'm interested too. Sound like a good plan. I'll confirm next Tuesday.

Cheers

7cuero

It looks like Silbury Hill may be off the list - noticed the place crawling with workmen yesterday and the Car Park/Layby have been shut.

Then spotted this

The Ridgeway opens 1st May.

I've been out for the past couple of days in the Landy & almost all tracks in this area are hard & bone dry. IMO - If the weather continues to be dry, Tourances would probably be fine.

M

Guys, I dont want to throw a damaner on this one, but I'm in Lechlade and its been raining most days here and I think the forecast is for it to stay.

I've not been up there recently but I'm wondering if tourances are going to be such a good option...

It looks like Silbury Hill may be off the list - noticed the place crawling with workmen yesterday and the Car Park/Layby have been shut.

Then spotted this

There's a couple of other laybys along the A4 that you could stop in instead... Or... There's the road from Avebury that might give you a view. Failing that, IIRC, there's another byway around the back that might give you a bit of a view.

M

Guys, I dont want to throw a damaner on this one, but I'm in Lechlade and its been raining most days here and I think the forecast is for it to stay.

I've not been up there recently but I'm wondering if tourances are going to be such a good option...

Yeeeesssss..... It's a bit damp this way. :rolleyes:

M

Thought about doing this with a pillion... is that a good idea?
I don't think it is a bad idea :)
Don't put too much emphasis on the "Byway" bit - all the sites are on or viewable from the road. It just so happens that we pass several byways that can be used as shortcuts :thumb

is it a ride on roads only or offroading or what proportion of each?
It is a road route of approx 150 miles.

On the day - depending on who turns up, how confident they are "off-road", what tyres they have, amount of recent rainfall etc there is the option of using byways for some of the route...

e.g. from Crofton Beam Engine to Pewsey White Horse you can take a fairly easy 2.4 mile byway that cuts off a road section through Collingboure Kingston/Collingbourne Ducis

from Stonehenge to West Lavington you can cut across the plain on fairly easy (with one grassy section) byways (approx 8 miles)

from Devizes White Horse to Cherhill White Horse you can take a medium easy 1.7 mile byway

From The Sanctuary/Avebury/Hackpen White Horse/Barbury Castle you have several options of byways (several miles) including some easy parts of the Ridgeway and some harder (rutted) parts of the Ridgeway. The Mapsource route from Rockley to Barbury Castle actually routes you down a (medium easy chalky) byway but it can be avoided as required.

I can take whoever wants to stay on tarmac the whole route on tarmac and direct whoever else down byways if they want. Just call me "Access" ;)

:thumb2

Attachments

• Example01.jpg
    Example01.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Example02.jpg
    Example02.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Example03.jpg
    Example03.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 252

Back