Thanks Timpo

Hew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Another great Timpo lead off road ride.
I don't think that anyone who went on the ride can claim they were short changed. Like me, I expect everyone had a great day. Here are a few photos but I expect that there will be some far better one along soon.
Here was a nice lane just to settle everyone down
AGollen1.jpg

A quick stop to get some breath:
AGollen2.jpg

Two stops within 15 min hey this can't be bad:
AGollen3.jpg

Here we are just trying to find whose lawn we are going to ride over next:
AGollen5.jpg

Time wise this is near the end of the day but there is a lot of mileage to do yet:
AGollen6.jpg

At the top of the Wayfarer on the last leg:
AGollen7.jpg

I for one had a great day with great company. I'm just not sure what everyone's forum name is but somehow it adds to the mix.
Once again Timpo for leading a special ride:clap :bow

Big Thank You from me too what a day I've never had as much fun here's some photos and a bit of video.

Jaber
150076454-L.jpg

Timpo

150076529-L.jpg

150076552-L.jpg

Jaber taking a well earned rest ,little did he know what was about to happen:D
150076582-L.jpg

Watch out here comes Ken :augie

150083987-L.jpg

OOPS
150084065-L.jpg

150084005-L.jpg

Some of the Team

150076631-L.jpg

This was a tricky track narrow and really muddy perfect for the GSA :eek:

150084104-L.jpg

Going up was easy enough:D

150089522-L.jpg

Even trees blocking the path ;)

150089551-L.jpg

Tim taking in the view

150089587-L.jpg

150089605-L.jpg

Bomber crater not for the faint hearted

150106525-L.jpg

150106546-L.jpg

Tina on the Wayefairers

150106577-L-1.jpg

150108241-L.jpg

Bit of video

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9doRxbkPgF0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9doRxbkPgF0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trail riding doesn't get any better than this.

Yep. Thanks to Timpo - nicely balanced ride. Some old favourites but plenty of new lanes. Great day.
Thanks also to Hew for being back marker for most of the day - certainly made 'gating' a lot easier.
I assume everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

Sorry I had to rush home after.

PS It was nice to see Ken's bike in "horizontal mode" again :D

More great Forry photo's. Looks like you had a great weekend :thumb2

I know I'm firmly in a minority one but I thought it was a total disaster!

This was my first UKGSer.com event and I was seriously disappointed.

We were told to meet in hotel car park for 10.15 start. I spoke to Johnny Boxer to ask details about the ride but he did not know anything. I was expecting a bit of a briefing before we set off. Something like, introduction from group leader, brief details of route, drop off system being used, procedures at gates etc but we got nothing. Total briefing consisted of "Offroaders, lets go!". And with that several bikes flew out of the car park, about half of which were pogos.

First section was fine but there was no organisation as to who would wait at turnoffs etc and no idea who was tail end charlie and last man.

Second section was chaos with group split up and various bikes going in different directions. Three of us went to bottom of steep drop only to find it was a dead end. One of the many riders on pogos flew down and told us we had to turn around and ride back to top. 1150 rider promptly dropped his bike trying to turn it around at bottom. By the time we got back on possible route, all the gates had been close again as nobody seemed to have any idea of how many bikes were in front or behind. Never seen such a badly disorganised ride.

Third section was just stupid for large GSers. Very steep down hill with large and loose rocks. Even taking these at walking pace resulted in three significant dents in engine bash plate. Not my idea of fun and not suitable for GSers. Of course the ride "leader" and several others were on tiny lightweight pogos so it was great fun for them. At end of this section there was a few minutes confusion as nobody knew if bikes were missing or if they were either in front, behind or gone away.

Fourth section. We were split into two here and simply told that this section was not possible for "big bikes" and it was for pogos only. For fcuks sake! This was supposed to be for GSers wasn't it! Or had I come to UkPOGOers.com?
The pogos were led up this section whilst us on "large bikes" were told to ride around the road section and meet up somewhere further on the road. By the time I met up with the others on the road I had already had enough.
The ride was very badly disorganised with no system of following the route at all. The course had clearly been designed by a pogo rider for the benefit of all the other pogos on the ride.

I didn't fancy wasting the rest of my day, getting lost, getting my bike damaged further and being told the routes were not suitable for "large bikes" so I called it quits after the first hour. Out of courtesy I informed them that I had had enough and would go do my own thing. I think if I hadn't told them, they would have had no idea that one bike was missing. Nobody asked why I was leaving or seemed to care at all. Thanks guys!

No doubt everyone else will slag me off and say the fault lay in my lack of riding ability. I ridden off road for 30 years having had trials bikes from age 14 to now and have covered many miles off road on GSers from R80G/S to current R1100GS. If I were a novice off road (as some other participants in the ride may have been), then it would have been even less suitable as an offroad ride. Usually, before a ride, I would expect the ride leader to enquire about the experience and abilities of the participants and tailor a ride to suit. No chance of that here.

As I say, I was seriously disappointed having ridden 300 miles to event and was looking forward to a good days offroading with fellow GSers in beautiful countryside.

In summary:
Event badly organised with no drop off system to prevent wrong directions or lost riders.
No procedures for gate opening and closings making it time consuming.
Sections designed to damage GSers
Sections specifically designed for pogos and not passable on "large bikes"
No interest in the participants expectations.

This was my first UKGSers event and based on this awful weekend, I think it will also be my last.

I hope this serves as a warning to any others and helps prevent anyone else from wasting their time expecting a GS offroad ride to be well organised and catering for GSers.

Sid

Yep. Thanks to Timpo - nicely balanced ride. Some old favourites but plenty of new lanes. Great day.
Thanks also to Hew for being back marker for most of the day - certainly made 'gating' a lot easier.
I assume everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

I certainly did. :thumb2

I agree Spout - relaxed yet organised without being led around like kids as you sometimes get on rideouts.

After the first 15 mins I was the only 1200 rider on the rideout and I'd like to thank you Timpo for giving us a great GSable off road ride.

It was certainly made clear to me when we got to any sections that were not considered wise on a big trailie :thumb

Sid, I'm in no position to comment on your, or anyone elses riding ability, but from your comments if I hadn't seen you there I would have wondered if you were on the same ride as me???

All in all a fantastic days riding. (well half a day for me as i left at the fuel stop at 2 as my ribs (I only fell off once this year - whilst moving :clap ) and old mans legs were telling me to be clever and finish on a high. :D

I've got some great pics which I'll post later today

again

THANKS TIMPO :clap :bow :clap :bow :clap :bow :clap :bow :clap

Fourth section. We were split into two here and simply told that this section was not possible for "big bikes" and it was for pogos only. For fcuks sake! This was supposed to be for GSers wasn't it! Or had I come to UkPOGOers.com?
The pogos were led up this section whilst us on "large bikes" were told to ride around the road section and meet up somewhere further on the road.
Don't forget Sid, that there were 650s on the ride aswell, and there was at least one twin went up there. I thought Timpo organised a great mix of lanes - and at least offered an alternative route for those sections that might be tricky.
I've led GS off road rides - it is difficult getting a mix of doable and taxing lanes - and no one should even venture off road if they mind damaging their bike.
I think the sheer numbers (22?) of bikes caused a little chaos early on in the ride - but I can cope with a little chaos in that countryside and that weather!
Sorry you didn't stay with us - you missed out on a great day!:clap

I know I'm firmly in a minority one but I thought it was a total disaster!

This was my first UKGSer.com event and I was seriously disappointed.

We were told to meet in hotel car park for 10.15 start. I spoke to Johnny Boxer to ask details about the ride but he did not know anything. I was expecting a bit of a briefing before we set off. Something like, introduction from group leader, brief details of route, drop off system being used, procedures at gates etc but we got nothing. Total briefing consisted of "Offroaders, lets go!". And with that several bikes flew out of the car park, about half of which were pogos.

First section was fine but there was no organisation as to who would wait at turnoffs etc and no idea who was tail end charlie and last man.

Second section was chaos with group split up and various bikes going in different directions. Three of us went to bottom of steep drop only to find it was a dead end. One of the many riders on pogos flew down and told us we had to turn around and ride back to top. 1150 rider promptly dropped his bike trying to turn it around at bottom. By the time we got back on possible route, all the gates had been close again as nobody seemed to have any idea of how many bikes were in front or behind. Never seen such a badly disorganised ride.

Third section was just stupid for large GSers. Very steep down hill with large and loose rocks. Even taking these at walking pace resulted in three significant dents in engine bash plate. Not my idea of fun and not suitable for GSers. Of course the ride "leader" and several others were on tiny lightweight pogos so it was great fun for them. At end of this section there was a few minutes confusion as nobody knew if bikes were missing or if they were either in front, behind or gone away.

The pogos were led up this section whilst us on "large bikes" were told to ride around the road section and meet up somewhere further on the road. By the time I met up with the others on the road I had already had enough.
The ride was very badly disorganised with no system of following the route at all. The course had clearly been designed by a pogo rider for the benefit of all the other pogos on the ride.

I didn't fancy wasting the rest of my day, getting lost, getting my bike damaged further and being told the routes were not suitable for "large bikes" so I called it quits after the first hour. Out of courtesy I informed them that I had had enough and would go do my own thing. I think if I hadn't told them, they would have had no idea that one bike was missing. Nobody asked why I was leaving or seemed to care at all. Thanks guys!

No doubt everyone else will slag me off and say the fault lay in my lack of riding ability. I ridden off road for 30 years having had trials bikes from age 14 to now and have covered many miles off road on GSers from R80G/S to current R1100GS. If I were a novice off road (as some other participants in the ride may have been), then it would have been even less suitable as an offroad ride. Usually, before a ride, I would expect the ride leader to enquire about the experience and abilities of the participants and tailor a ride to suit. No chance of that here.

As I say, I was seriously disappointed having ridden 300 miles to event and was looking forward to a good days offroading with fellow GSers in beautiful countryside.

In summary:
Event badly organised with no drop off system to prevent wrong directions or lost riders.
No procedures for gate opening and closings making it time consuming.
Sections designed to damage GSers
Sections specifically designed for pogos and not passable on "large bikes"
No interest in the participants expectations.

This was my first UKGSers event and based on this awful weekend, I think it will also be my last.

I hope this serves as a warning to any others and helps prevent anyone else from wasting their time expecting a GS offroad ride to be well organised and catering for GSers.

Sid

I don't know the score of what went on but i do think on a GS orientated weekend... if you have a GS you should be using it.... Pogos should have been a NoNo I heard someone else say in the hotel about being left while others went up a trail not suited to Big bikes and told we'll be back in 3/4 of an hour ( if what they said is correct) I think it's a very poor show and shows a lack of thought and consideration for those who may have travelled the length of the country to have a GS based weekend:(
locals can go out any weekend on whatever bikes they choose to but a visitor has just got his GS... the route should have been picked to be doable by the average GS off roader type bloke or lass.

The least that could and should have been done at the start of the ride was explain the difficulties and level of skill needed for the routes and there should have been not one part of it unsuitable for GS's

Apologises if I'm wrong on any of the above things i was told... but if it is true I think it's a disgrace and shows a real lack of thought for fellow GS'ers who came to have a good time at a GS event

Dear ..........Sid Horman

I think what Spout said was right,and sorry to hear that your not happy.

I did not get a pass out to attend :(
and it looks like I missed a great day :blast

I have over the years organised 100s of trail riding days,for all sorts of bike's,and I have found that you will never please everyone :eek:

That is a fact.....you will never get a group of rider's that are of the same ability.
They may be some rider's on big bike's that can ride a section better than some on small trail bike's { i can't use the word pogo :spitfire }.

But by going to these event's you get the chance to meet other rider's that want to take their bike's off road, and more often than not by mid day you will be riding with someone that is of the same ability as yourself,this then give's you the chance to plan your own trail riding trip with other's that you have meet that ride at the same pace.

If you have 22 rider's off road, it would not matter if they were on small trail bike's of big trail bike's,,,, the ride will get strung out, that's no one's fault ,it's just a fact because of the group size.
I had friend's on the ride on BMW's and they said it was one of the bast off road day's they have had.:clap

If People want totally organised off roading then the BMW Off Road school would maybe suit you best.
I'm sad That I missed it,and I would hope that Timpo leads another one that I can attend.:thumb2

I don't know the score of what went on but i do think on a GS orientated weekend... if you have a GS you should be using it.... Pogos should have been a NoNo I heard someone else say in the hotel about being left while others went up a trail not suited to Big bikes and told we'll be back in 3/4 of an hour ( if what they said is correct) I think it's a very poor show and shows a lack of thought and consideration for those who may have travelled the length of the country to have a GS based weekend:(
locals can go out any weekend on whatever bikes they choose to but a visitor has just got his GS... the route should have been picked to be doable by the average GS off roader type bloke or lass.

The least that could and should have been done at the start of the ride was explain the difficulties and level of skill needed for the routes and there should have been not one part of it unsuitable for GS's

Apologises if I'm wrong on any of the above things i was told... but if it is true I think it's a disgrace and shows a real lack of thought for fellow GS'ers who came to have a good time at a GS event

I take a massive exception to the word disgrace.

OK. I turned up on a Pogo with the idea that I was better able to help after all I can take the GS along the lanes any time I like.

AS well as the 1150 there were 650 and air heads, should they have missed a tasty lane that was on route? It has been a tradition that alternatives are given to the tougher lanes:confused:

Should Snoopy been told to f off after riding through the night to get there?

Should it have been a ride to suit absolutely anyone's ability, who is the judge?
Nobody was left behind and I am sure that many found it a tough ride but will have really gained from the experience.

Sid , I'm sorry you left too early but that was your choice you missed one hell of a ride.
If you are ever up in this part of the country again, PM me and I will do my best to show you some GS friendly lanes.

Firstly, I'm glad everyone had a nice weekend, and secondly I for one would not set a tyre off road on a lane I didn't know personally. I have ridden the GS offroad, very briefly on a stoney lane not far from my house, I was very slow, but that's my way.

I have some background in offroad driving and greenlaning of landrovers, so have a certain knowledge of what it's like trying to put a run together. We, as a group, would pick a date, and a meeting point and start time. The vehicles would meet up and be split into groups of no more than 5 vehicles. The only excepetion would have been the dusk till dawn runs, but that's another story.

In general the splits would be new members with less experiance, members with nice 4x4's that wanted easier lanes, and finally the senior members more prepared for the rougher terrain.

Each group had a leader who knew where to go, and a dedicated tailend charlie to ensure the gates would be shut. Each lead and tail would also have CB's to let each other know what was going on. The benefit of a small group was so that fragmentation of the group was keep to an absolute minimum, but the day as a whole always required at least 6 senior group members. The problem came when we ended up with the senior members being bored stupid taking new members on easy runs.

The seniors wanted to go with their mates rather than lead others, so the group fragmented into the original members and the new ones. Eventually the senior members started taking part in serious competitions, requiring serious vehicle modifications (Any one spent more than £15,000 on a Series IIA Landy?). I decided to go my own way after winning some silverware in one such event after realising the damages inflicted would be stupid if done on a regular basis. After a short period I returned to the group and found that they had evolved, and started doing more and more competition trials, which my IIA is a little on the heavy side to compete in, and the Green lane events have all but vanished.

I should probably get around to re-installing the winch and the other offroad gear I removed.

Whay should be remembered is that this run was organised on the sort of basis of I'm going round some lanes and anyone can follow me. What you would have needed for all to have a nice time would be a series of graded offroad rides plotted out before hand, with a series of dedicated guides and tailenders. You would also need routes of a circular nature, with minimal road sections between the lanes. The possibilities are fairly endless, for instance a grounp could cover some tarmac miles to link easy gravel lanes together, whilst one grounp could stay closer to home up to their necks in a peat bog.

It simply becomes a logistical nightmare trying to cater for all concerned. I'm not a big mileage person, I was shattered after 180 miles in a full day of riding in the Dales, so the road ride would have been a bad idea for me. I also didn't fancy an early bath on the fords run.

This was a get together run, organised for a bunch of generally like minded persons, with a few options for a days entertainment, led by people with the generousity to actually lead a group, and that should be aplauded :clap :clap :clap

Sid, I think what Spout said was right,and sorry to hear that your not happy ... I have over the years organised 100s of trail riding days,for all sorts of bike's,and I have found that you will never please everyone. That is a fact.....you will never get a group of rider's that are of the same ability.
I wasn't even on a bike :( but perhaps in future, there is a case for providing 2 different routes; one for the more experienced who fancy a "challenge" and one for those who just fancy a crack at some green laning with minimal risk to themselves / the bike. :nenau

Some cracking photos BTW. :D I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking my 1150 GSA down some of those tracks - although I would have definately given them a go on the TTR. :thumb2

I wasn't even on a bike :( but perhaps in future, there is a case for providing 2 different routes; one for the more experienced who fancy a "challenge" and one for those who just fancy some green laning. :nenau

Hi Taff

I tried this about 4 years ago when I used to plan a lot of off road ride's for the F650 Site.
I posted a Easy Days Trail riding for one weekend in July,and the trails were as easy as you get...ie they could have been ridden on a road bike.
BUT even on this ride at the end of the day 2 of the rider's complained that it was to HARD :eek:
you just can't win when planning ride's for people you don't know.
I think Timpo had his hand's full with a group that size.

I now only PM a few friends when I'm going trail riding,so I no longer plan these ride's, lets hope that Timpo does keep planning these ride's.

It was a shame you did not stick around, I lasted the day but must have tried the patience of people who helped me pick the bike up, turn it round in the mud and waited while I sweated. For the record there were two small trails I was advised not to do on the GS and me and a couple of other guys rode round and had about five minutes to wait. Timpo stopped frequently and opened/closed almost every gate, gave me a couple of pointers too.

It was an amzing day out, I'm sure for Timpo it was slow going but he took the time and trouble to show us around and it was a whole heap of fun.

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Timpo :clap for a great day out .
personally i thought it was a great mix of lanes ,some reasonably easy and others pretty challenging but all the better for that :thumb2
I hadnt done any trail riding for nearly a year ,after having broken my shoulder last time :blast , and so i was a little apprehensive and a bit wobbly on the first couple of lanes ,but my confidence soon grew and i was having great fun :)
Its a shame sid wasnt happy but as has been said no one got left behind and alternative routes were available for the tough bits .
You have to expect a few scrapes and scratches ,im not sure what terrain you expected sid ? but even on a perfectly level gravel road you might expect one or two stone chips :augie ;)

Thanks everyone who attended for contributing to a great day ,

cheers mike ( 650 dakar )

Everyone new well in advance that that there would be some pogos Timpo posted this up in plenty of time.:nenau

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=924223&postcount=24

There were only 2 lanes where we advised not to take the big bikes and we given the directions around them.

Sid says

That was my own stupid fault going down that track i took the wrong turn and it was me that dropped my bike:eek: No harm done little dent in the tank couple of scrapes that's to be expected when out trail riding :thumb SORRY NO PHOTOS :D

What we could do next year is give all the pogo riders a weight penalty 50kgs of potatoes srapped to their bikes

Hope you don't stop leading rides because of this Timpo i had an excellent day can't wait to get down again :clap

sounds familiar

having spent a few years doing enduros these comments sound a lot like some i've heard before.
you get some who think it was all to easy, some think it stupidy hard and some just get on and enjoy the day.

i didn't do the off road event did the fords in my truck instead:augie but from the photo's id have taken my 12adv without question. in fact i'd have had a bash in the truck as well:D

I think I'm a novice, I rode an 1150 and found the ride fantastic... The Rocky downhill was brilliant it's a shame you didn't stick with it.

Timbo... that was a day to remember for many years, thank you

Thanks to the group and the regular help picking my bike up

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 416
I think I'm a novice, I rode an 1150 and found the ride fantastic... The Rocky downhill was brilliant it's a shame you didn't stick with it.

Timbo... that was a day to remember for many years, thank you

Thanks to the group and the regular help picking my bike up

Didn't realise that was you Wreford that was a muddy track i really enjoyed it nothing was to difficult only downside was lack of fag and coffee breaks.:D

Back
Top Bottom