Zumo power lead install on a 1150gs Adventure.. lots of pics.

wolfboy

Reaction score
Ey up, thought I would detail my Zumo power lead install, Ok, I have to admit up front that I am not the most capable mechanic/fitter around, computers and that I am fine with, cars and motorbikes scare me..

I have been after a gps for yonks and I was umming and arring over which one to buy, so I have been very pleased with the Zumo 550, bought from MNC group 0% finance..!

I bought the Motorad concepts mount and it works grand, oh, don't use all four screws to attach the cradle to the mount, it puts the cradle too low and obscures the speedo. Just use the bottom two screw holes in the mount and line them up with top two holes on the mount. Thanks to Chris Holland from Motorad concepts for putting me straight....!

The mount went on pretty easily, once I had the cradle attached and lined up I had to just sort out powering it. To be honest I was a bit concerned as I have never had the tank off a bike before so without further adoo here goes..

I bought the following cable from Motorad Concepts.

150508735-M.jpg

The idea was to replace the original power cable to the accessory socket

150508517-M.jpg

Here is the connector which goes in to the back of the socket..

150508617-M.jpg

Once having a closer look (as I couldn't get the tank all the way off) the line of attack became to hack off the end of the new cable and attach the male and female end to the gps power cable, the existing power cables plug would then plug in to the female on the gps lead and the male would plug in to the back of the accessory socket..voila..

150509016-M.jpg

I haven't soldered in ages, so the resulting joints were rather 'clumpy' but they seemed to work. Oh and next time I will get the right sized heat shrink so I don't have to use so much electrical tape..!

Here it is on the bike.

150509157-M.jpg

150509555-M.jpg

Because I left the power lead long (just in case) I had to do some major routing, to be honest it is a bit messy..

150509434-M.jpg

150509294-M.jpg

Once it was all bolted back together, I gave it a whirl..

150509668-M.jpg

and so far so good...!

To finish off I just have to run the bike this week, make sure that I haven't crimped a tube when I put the bike back together, make sure it all works fine. Also to check that I can still charge the battery via the accessory socket, but it should be ok as the cables used for the 'extra' bit on the end is the same grade as the original.. I haven't figured out how to attach/fix the cable around the dash, it is just loosely held by eleccy tape.

I will have the tank off one day! I really want to become a competent mechanic, it is just daunting to start off with.

Oh and thanks to everyones help on the board.

Take it easy.

Hi Wolfboy
A very nice diy guide, well done. Im finally on the verge of buying a GPS, and I think it will be the Zumo, so your guide will be very handy!:thumb2

Ive got a Migel mount over speedo as well, but Im not sure that it will clear the speedo, as Ive fitted a MRA screen which "rakes" back and wont allow the Zumo to be mounted very high. Do you know if the standard mount allow in unit to sit offset towards the fuel gauge?

have just fitted mine, used the mount that came with the zumo, connected to the bars slightly to the left of center, so it obscures nothing, works perfect, i put a plug on the cable after making it shorter but keeping the fuse,plugged into the accessorie socket that i already fitted, i have fitted 2 sockets so still have a spare, this is better for me as i use the sat nav on two different bikes and it also allows me to quickly remove the mount by undoing the arm, as i dont like leaving the mount fitted :thumb2

Hi Wolfboy
A very nice diy guide, well done. Im finally on the verge of buying a GPS, and I think it will be the Zumo, so your guide will be very handy!:thumb2

Ive got a Migel mount over speedo as well, but Im not sure that it will clear the speedo, as Ive fitted a MRA screen which "rakes" back and wont allow the Zumo to be mounted very high. Do you know if the standard mount allow in unit to sit offset towards the fuel gauge?

Thanks for that, as for the mount, my screen is raised and raked back and it clears fine. If you have the MigSel mount then that is a RAM bolt on the same 'frame', so you would have the arm pointing more towards your face, giving clearance from the screen..? The standard mount as mentioned elsewhere goes on the handle bar and is also a RAM mount so clearance issues shouldn't be a problem, what made me uncomfortable about using it was the fact that it would be offset and therefore wrong.. (yeah I know wierdo..?!) and the fact that on full lock the device would hit the screen. Not sure though!

Thanks for that, as for the mount, my screen is raised and raked back and it clears fine. If you have the MigSel mount then that is a RAM bolt on the same 'frame', so you would have the arm pointing more towards your face, giving clearance from the screen..? The standard mount as mentioned elsewhere goes on the handle bar and is also a RAM mount so clearance issues shouldn't be a problem, what made me uncomfortable about using it was the fact that it would be offset and therefore wrong.. (yeah I know wierdo..?!) and the fact that on full lock the device would hit the screen. Not sure though!

its fine, im just as anal about it being off center, but it holds the satnav where it doesn't obscure the clocks, i have the same screen and it does not hit when on full lock and it makes it easier to operate, works for me anyhow :clap

Back
Top Bottom