Zumo & autocom leads question

JayGee

Reaction score
Hi,
The Zumo is on order and I'm now looking to see if I have the correct leads etc. I have a new-ish Active-Plus Autocom, do I really need the £38 lead from Autocom? What's wrong with doing the following:-

Connect stereo music Zumo out put to Autocom Aux 2 (usual music input)

Connect Zumo mike socket(a mono jack) to either Aux1 (but that will need a stereo jack with tip & sleeve only connected) or straight into Aux 3.

Is it true that the Autocom lead does not deliver true stereo but combines L & R to both ears? This seems pretty crap, if true, and definitely not worth £38.

Seems to me that buying the GPS is like opening your wallet to all the suppliers of leads, mounts and bits & bobs that should be quite cheap but are NOT.

You will likely need an isolated lead to avoid ground loop problems if you bike power the Zumo - but no need if you permanently use Zumo on battery power.
If you do bike-power, then you might as well get the £38 quid lead, which is designed to give stereo. Don't get confused by the mono available on pre-2006 systems.

If you just want the autocom for the music. the supplied cable into aux 2 is a lot louder than the £38 cable and you dont get any interferance..... must only be with the mic output......

Guess I'll try it with a non-isololated lead and see how it works. I was hoping to use the bluetooth phone from the Garmin but others on here have said the autocom will cut the phone volume when I speak.

I can easily add a couple of micro-transformers if I want to isolate the lead, a bit tight of me but I hate paying £38 for a lead that costs just a few pence.

Hi,
The Zumo is on order and I'm now looking to see if I have the correct leads etc. I have a new-ish Active-Plus Autocom, do I really need the £38 lead from Autocom? What's wrong with doing the following:-

Connect stereo music Zumo out put to Autocom Aux 2 (usual music input)

Connect Zumo mike socket(a mono jack) to either Aux1 (but that will need a stereo jack with tip & sleeve only connected) or straight into Aux 3.

Is it true that the Autocom lead does not deliver true stereo but combines L & R to both ears? This seems pretty crap, if true, and definitely not worth £38.

Seems to me that buying the GPS is like opening your wallet to all the suppliers of leads, mounts and bits & bobs that should be quite cheap but are NOT.

I have got an old Autocom Pro cira 1994, which I was looking to link up to a new Zumo. However according to Autocom because of its age, it will require a specially made lead £50.00+:eek: So you may need to check if it falls into this catagory or not.

Im probably better off upgrading to a newer intercom, once ive paid for the GPS of course:tears

I have got an old Autocom Pro cira 1994, which I was looking to link up to a new Zumo. However according to Autocom because of its age, it will require a specially made lead £50.00+:eek: So you may need to check if it falls into this catagory or not.

Im probably better off upgrading to a newer intercom, once ive paid for the GPS of course:tears

Go for the newer but cheaper autocom, it is far, far better than the old 5 pin systems (which I could never hear at speed).

Autocom certainly sting us for leads and bits n bobs, they recognise a captured market when they see one and then proceed to milk it!

BTW the lead to connect the Zumo and a new autocom is £38, or 28 if you don't want the phone/zumo link-up, although some have said the straight patch lead supplied with the autocom works OK (others that it's noisey and needs an isolation lead which is about £28, or you can make your own- look for a post by Wiz either here or on the Zumo forum)

Go for the newer but cheaper autocom, it is far, far better than the old 5 pin systems (which I could never hear at speed).

Autocom certainly sting us for leads and bits n bobs, they recognise a captured market when they see one and then proceed to milk it!

BTW the lead to connect the Zumo and a new autocom is £38, or 28 if you don't want the phone/zumo link-up, although some have said the straight patch lead supplied with the autocom works OK (others that it's noisey and needs an isolation lead which is about £28, or you can make your own- look for a post by Wiz either here or on the Zumo forum)

JayGee
Thanks for the info re leads, the Autocom is so comprehensive it takes a while to figue out exactly what the permutations are. On the positive side an old Autocon Pro 3000 has just been sold for £60.00 on Fleabay, so that might be the option to update at reasonable cost.

Back
Top Bottom