Jackets for off roading / on road (help me find one)

(RIP) MOTÖRHEAD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Being that I've always owned road bikes up until now, I've always worn leather bike jackets, but now I've got the 1150, I fancy a new jacket I can use when I start green laning and all the other off road shenanigans that I'm looking forward to trying.

There's no way I can afford or would want an official (take out a second mortgage) BMW jacket.

What am I after?

An enduro / adventure style jacket with armour in all the usual places, loads of pockets including one on the back and that is waterproof with a liner that can be removed depending on it being summer or winter.
Oh, and no garish colour schemes. I like the darker colours such as black or dark grey.

Price up to the £200 mark but may go that little bit extra.

Sometimes I might want to take the liner out and wear it over my leather.

So guys, you collective lot must have a plethora of different brands and styles.

Name me some brands and product/jacket model names for me to scour through.
And if you have pics, that'd be even better.

My trusty DPM jacket has nearly been outgrown (worn over mi leather & rather toasty)

Attachments

• Motorhead-Railroad.jpg
    Motorhead-Railroad.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 651
BMW Rallye Jacket is the GSer's uniform of choice...................but double your £200 budget

ask hampshire andy he was on about some new stuff coming to market which sounded alright.

I'm an ebay or web shopper and got a deal on my BM jacket which was fine and dandy. However it's never that easy and you need to go and get measured up to make sure it's right etc. or you have more hassle on your plate.

The issue with off road / on road jackets is that they are all a compromise.

For road riding you need abrasion resistance in the event that you get off while the bike is still moving :)o ). You also need superior warmth as you tend to sit still for long periods of time in wind blast. Waterproofing comes without mention. Then you need to decide if you want vents to keep you cool in the summer or will you buy another jacket for that. Finally, as you point out, you need high quality body armour for impact resistance.

For off road riding you will be far more active so you need breathability. Vents would also be good, even in winter. Waterproofing is a good idea. The ability to clean it easily is also high on the priority list. Abrasion resistance isn't important but impact resistant body armour might be - unless you want a shell to fit over a technical shirt.

So they are similar but not the same. Most choices come down to:

BWM kit - pricey and you look like a corporate clone. Good stuff though.
Rukka - good protection etc. but look a little road biased for me.
Dainese (Gator) - pricey and road biased but great quality.
Revitt - harder to get hold of the top of the range stuff but high quality kit.
Heine Gericke - a whole range from vfm to BWM competitors for 2/3 price.

Hope that helped. I gave in and bought a Rallye 2 Pro as I don't like the new HG Tuareg suit and couldn't get the Revitt one :thumb2

The issue with off road / on road jackets is that they are all a compromise.

For road riding you need abrasion resistance in the event that you get off while the bike is still moving :)o ). You also need superior warmth as you tend to sit still for long periods of time in wind blast. Waterproofing comes without mention. Then you need to decide if you want vents to keep you cool in the summer or will you buy another jacket for that. Finally, as you point out, you need high quality body armour for impact resistance.

For off road riding you will be far more active so you need breathability. Vents would also be good, even in winter. Waterproofing is a good idea. The ability to clean it easily is also high on the priority list. Abrasion resistance isn't important but impact resistant body armour might be - unless you want a shell to fit over a technical shirt.

This is why I want to be able to wear it over mi leather sometimes.
Leather on the road mostly except in the depths of winter & off road jacket on it's own for , well...., off road.
There may be times when doing long haul road riding when I'l have both on again.
If I wear it over my leather, I'll slip the armour out of the textile as my Gericke leathers are all armoured up and I wear a Knox long length race back protector.
Nice one Mutley- a good run down of what to look for:thumb2

http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/cPath/1_15_7/products_id/2559

Take a look at this. I have a pair of the trousers (old style) that went with the earlier version of this jacket. Nice piece of kit - do what they say on the tin. I think this is pretty close to the BMW Ralleye Jacket at half the cost. Worth a look anyway.

Yup, I've had my eye on one of them. I think it'd do the trick a treat.
I think you have helped me almost make mi mind up.:thumb2
Better start saving if that's going to be the one.

If there are any others that folk could recomend, it doesn't hurt for me to look about.

Cheers:beerjug:

I have the previous version of the HG Tuareg jacket. Once I'd bought it, I used my leathers less and less, and now not at all.

I don't think you could wear it over leathers - it is quite bulky with the lining in, and not windproof or waterproof with the lining out. That's why I really like mine for summer touring - take the lining out,open th event zips and you'll stay very cool in the heat; put the lining in and it's plenty warm enough for nights, higher altitude and bad weather.

My favourite jacket is a Richa Eagle (I think - maybe a Falcon ro soemother bird of prey. Easily the warmest jacket I've had. Around the same price as the HG one.)

It's only a matter of time before someone mentions Aerostich. I love mine to pieces and I think it would fit over leathers. With the current dollar exchange rates, they're not too expensive at the moment. You can buy two piece suits as well as one piece.

jacket

the four things you need in an adventure jacket are, 1. protection when u get off when u dont wont to. 2. warmth,3.waterproofing 4. to be able to pull out the liners to get air though during times when its friggin hot.

In other words the above jacket has not been invented.

Jackets are a compromise. I dont know of one jacket that does all. Please tell me if you do...

BMW dont make one Rukka dont make one.

It seems jackets are made for either dry hot travelling or wet cold travelling.

the four things you need in an adventure jacket are, 1. protection when u get off when u dont wont to. 2. warmth,3.waterproofing 4. to be able to pull out the liners to get air though during times when its friggin hot.

2. That's why the GS has the accessory socket, for the heated jacket :bounce1

Motorhead
You might want to take a look at this ..... All black, as new and within budget.:D

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106106

Oooh, that looks the ticket.
I don't think I'd be able to come up with 200 notes a such short notice (well, not in time to beat off other buyers)
It pretty much checks all my boxes....and I work down the road in Slough.

If I had the dosh in my hand, I'd be over to try it on.
Looks like I'll miss this good bit of kit:(

Oooh, that looks the ticket.
I don't think I'd be able to come up with 200 notes a such short notice (well, not in time to beat off other buyers)
It pretty much checks all my boxes....and I work down the road in Slough.

If I had the dosh in my hand, I'd be over to try it on.
Looks like I'll miss this good bit of kit:(

Have a look at this thread......

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105981

The jacket is probably not your size but follow the link in post #10 and you'll see that new they are $279 that's about £150.

It looks like a pretty good jacket (if I hadn't got a Rallye II, I'd be ordering one of these).

Have a look at this thread......

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105981

The jacket is probably not your size but follow the link in post #10 and you'll see that new they are $279 that's about £150.

It looks like a pretty good jacket (if I hadn't got a Rallye II, I'd be ordering one of these).

Not a bad Idea at all, but I must say I'm not too keen on a purchase without actually seing a product in the flesh.
Buying blind on the internet is not always a smart move unless you've felt the vibre of the fabric.
I've PM'd mcneedham about his jacket & I'll see how that goes first.

There's one in the Hein Gericke Tuareg range that's about £180... that'd be my choice.

PG

This must be the one.
I may have to pop down to the local Gericke in North Camp and have a look at their Tuareg range and try a couple on.

I really love the look of the TUAREG RALLYE GTX II JACKET as well.

Yup, will deffo have to have a look see.

Back
Top Bottom