shocks for 1200

Janie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about having the shocks changed on me 1200, so that at least i can touch the floor.
I know ohlins and hagon do them.
has anybody on here gone this way? and what was the bike handling like after?
If I do have it done, then i will have bmw fit them for me.
I know the sidestand will need doin and the main stand as well, that's not a problem.

Just wanted to see if anybody else on here has done the same......

janie x

Hi Janie, i noticed that you are in Chesire so why don't you go and see Maxtons in Frodsham. These are very good shocks custom built to your exact spec and they will actually fit them for you cheaper than BMW.

I got one on my 12 and just had the rear done as they told me that you would not notice any real difference in having the front done. So i saved myself some wedge and got the bikes already good handling transformed. And they did not charge me for fitting.

Regards Gedjack

Hi Janie, i noticed that you are in Chesire so why don't you go and see Maxtons in Frodsham. These are very good shocks custom built to your exact spec and they will actually fit them for you cheaper than BMW.

I got one on my 12 and just had the rear done as they told me that you would not notice any real difference in having the front done. So i saved myself some wedge and got the bikes already good handling transformed. And they did not charge me for fitting.

Regards Gedjack

Sorry Janie to hijack your thread (only a wee bit though :eek: ) It may be worth cross posting into the 1200 section as I'm sure a few bods there have gone with this?

Gedjack, did you have the shock rebuilt or a custom Maxton shock and, if you don't mind telling, what sort of money were you looking at to have this done?

Cheers
Andres

If I do have it done, then i will have bmw fit them for me.

janie x

Janie

So far there has been mention of Ohlins, Hagon and Maxton, one other to look at is Wilbers who have been mentioned quite a bit lately on the site (use search for threads).

UK distributors are Everyaccessory and one of the guys involved with it posts on UKGsers.

Rather than having them fitted by your local BMW dealer I'd recommend going to a supplier who knows suspension and offers a fitting service.

Fitting is one thing, setting them up is another......

just spoke to wilbers and they will send me shocks out in 2 weeks.............ok who in the cheshire area do u recommend to fit and set up me shocks then..............?? help come on lads you lot must know somewhere..................janie xxx

Technoflex.

before you make your final decision check out Technoflex, you will find threads on them here, hand built infinitely adjustable and perfect for short legs, you can lower the bike 2" just by adjusting one nut at the bottom of the rear shock . I have them on my bike, and several other knowledgable types agree they are top notch. Many European riders swear by them.
:thumb2
just spoke to wilbers and they will send me shocks out in 2 weeks.............ok who in the cheshire area do u recommend to fit and set up me shocks then..............?? help come on lads you lot must know somewhere..................janie xxx

I believe Wilbers will do everything Techno do, They too are built to order, each unit comes with a signed job sheet....plus, you get a five year warranty on them....:thumb

You can specify the ride height/weight parameters etc when ordering...

Fitting is relatively easy so get the spanners oot Janie for a bit of DIY...;)

I fitted mine to my 1150 in 15-20 mins...

A mate of mine fitted a set to his 1200 but it took a wee while longer...only because he had to remove the plastic front engine cover to get the front one in...

If I can do it, anyone can....:thumb2

If your going down the Wilbers route they should will be built to order using information you provide (weight, riding type etc) so initially it shoould be just a case of fitting them.

From memory the importers offer a free ride in check to all purchasers so getting to them should not be much of a problem from Cheshire.

I believe they will be offering a fitting service in the near future.

before you make your final decision check out Technoflex, you will find threads on them here, hand built infinitely adjustable and perfect for short legs, you can lower the bike 2" just by adjusting one nut at the bottom of the rear shock . I have them on my bike, and several other knowledgable types agree they are top notch. Many European riders swear by them.
:thumb2

I seem to remember reading that Technoflex went out of business after a nasty court case with a rival manufacturer :nenau

Andres, I had a custom built Maxton shock which cost me £650.00 with a remote preload adjuster. It sounds a lot but I only needed to buy one shock and not replace both of them to transform the bikes handling.

Regards Gedjack

Janie, i have Ohlins on my 12. 24mm shorter than standard, in the real world it gives about 1" of extra ( low-ness ):augie so for me and my diddy legs they made a big difference. If you can wait until June 5th you could pop down and try my 12 for size.... I was told by Ohlins they used to do three size reductions, but now it's two--24mm and 28mm. The other was 50mm but they have stopped doing that one. ( safety issue i think ) I took the centre stand off and ground the welds from the cast lugs at the top, cut off 16mm
popped the lugs back in the tubes and re-welded. Have not got around to doing the side stand, BUT I SHOULD bit too upright for safety.
Lyn.

Andres, I had a custom built Maxton shock which cost me £650.00 with a remote preload adjuster. It sounds a lot but I only needed to buy one shock and not replace both of them to transform the bikes handling.

Regards Gedjack

I'm off on hols to put some more miles on the bike next week and my rear shock is already past it's best - think I'll be giving them a ring when I get back.

Andres

I had a custom built Maxton shock which cost me £650.00 with a remote preload adjuster. It sounds a lot but I only needed to buy one shock and not replace both of them to transform the bikes handling.

:eek: Fek! I got a Rear with remote pre-load AND a Front Wilbers for that price...:thumb

just placed me order with wilbers for me shocks, will get em in 2 weeks.....back with remote preload thingy on.......and southport superbikes with fit and set em up for me.............easy life...:D :D

Just got my new Wilbers today (17/5/07) from "every accessory" so yours should arrive pretty soon too.

Back
Top Bottom