BMW neck brace

Crikey, you're tall, is that a door you're standing next to? :eek:

..........be afraid, be very afraid.

I though you had to be this tall to ride a GSA!!!!

Speedo/Bladerunner

How are you getting on with your neck braces?

I'm also thinking of getting one but not if they are a burden to wear.

The price isn't really the issue as like all safety equipment they are a poor investment if you never fall off .. but if you do, what price tag do you put on saving your head/skin/neck/spine etc? Being self employed every day off work is a cost I can't afford.

I guess you have to draw a line on the suit of armour at some point .. but if it a modern, lightweight, easy to wear suit of armour ... then why not?

Andy

Hi Andy
I am increasingly happy with the Leatt neck brace.

I went on the welsh helmed ride on Saturday and covered 250 miles - lovely ride with 600 bikes outside the Millenium centre up to llandrindod wells when I peeled off back down to Beulah and circumnavigated the llyn Brianne reservoir before the long way home.

Honestly, the neck brace was forgotten and barely noticed until the ambulance guys and copter pilots on the run asked me about it - socially not post trauma!

With bulky winter type fleece, the brace pushes up a bit at the shoulders and pushes the helmet up. As I have autocom ear speakers in a Schuberth C2 helmet and earplugs, this can press uncomfortably on my ears.

But wearing the summer gear the brace sits low enough not to interfer at all. It did not seem too hot either.

So, I think it will be part of the pre ride routine and not be a bother.

Those who ride in T shirt and sneekers will sneer at the £290 "wasted". Those of us who ride ATGATT I suspect will all be wearing them in 10 years. I was told that the BMW off road instructors all wear them now.
I was impressed reading the Leatt web site that Despres has indorced them for free.

Hope this is helpful, I have no affiliation etc other than being a surgeon and hoping to continue riding for many years to come.

Simon

What sort of an off is it going to help you with? Is it the type where you try to bury your head into the dirt? What were the tests used for the test dummies and what difference did it make, must be a site somewhere showing that?

Hi Bob,
Got mine from Bath road motorcycles, Bristol. Nice people there.

Regarding OFF,
I think it would restrict forward/backward and lateral flexion, as well as restricting head plant crunching - the helmet meets the brace and spreads the load to chest/back.

The problem is that your head plus helmet weighs in at 6-7Kg. In an accident, physics takes over and the body may stop and the head not, or visa versa. Any thought one might control these forces is wishful thinking. That is a lot of flexion forces on the neck. It only takes 2KG of force to break one's neck.

The science of the neck brace has been worked out well. I don't think Leatt is actually in it for the money.

There is an interesting aside in US motor racing where the helmets and safety cages were excellent, but the drivers would hit the concrete barrier with such deceleration forces that they would be pithed (essentially hang themselves) and die.

They developed the head restraint which attaches the helmet to a neck brace with 2 small springs - all the GP drivers wear then now.

One elderly US driver poo pooed the whole idea - and promptly died follwing an accident a couple of months later!!

simon

I was thinking of the web site for the comments, rather than buying the brace from SA.

I think the BMW one is the fancy carbon fibre expensive one, so the prices are similar and Mr customs may add his %. Plus buying UK means you can try it on and see if it suits.

Simon

Back
Top Bottom