Continental riding

Ralph

Anyone got a template to give me an idea of where to stick the deflector tape on the main and dripped beam for driving abroad ?

Ralph

don't worry about it...

I've never bothered... I think last year I did the best part of 10,000 miles touring around on the GS and never noticed a problem....

I wouldn't even bother taking them in your top box, you will need the spare room for duty free... :thumb

just go and enjoy yourself mate !!!

Nate

Never done it and I haven`t seen any tape for years unlss Halfords have some in a back room!!

As with the rest, don`t worry about and enjoy your trip.

:thumb2

Don't bother. Never done it in 10 years of touring abroad on the bike. Have been stopped several times for other things, and never mentioned.

I used one on a harley ten years ago, it melted and fell off!, haven't bothered since,. I had ideas about using the adjusters at the back of the headlight, but ultimatley, couldn't be bothered.
Jim

Just got back from Spain and didn't bother. Even at night no one flashed me.

years ago, i used to bung a bit of black insulating tape on the lens (sometimes on the wrong side :rolleyes: ).

don't bother any more.

Anyone got a template to give me an idea of where to stick the deflector tape on the main and dripped beam for driving abroad ?

Ralph

The 1200GS has a flat beam profile that is not dipped to the right, and so there is no adjustment needed for driving on the right.clap

WBW,

David:

I don't bother in the car either. How many foreign cars or bike do you see here with deflectors?

The 1200GS has a flat beam profile that is not dipped to the right, and so there is no adjustment needed for driving on the right.clap

WBW,

David:

I think this is true or at least the beam pattern is almost symetrical, it is on most modern bikes. Even if it weren't you couldn't use tape, the beam pattern is determined by the reflector and no the lens.

So forget about it, it's not necessary

And how does the light get out to the outside world? Through the clear cover aka the lens?
OK smartarse;) ;) ;)
Older bikes have lenses which deflect the light to give a spread on the nearside, taping over the bit of lens that does this will, obviously, blank off the spread light on the nearside. Newer bikes, and most older Jap ones, don't have a lens that shapes the beam, they rely on more complicated reflector shapes, and there is nowhere to put tape to blank off the spread of light.

Anyway, it's all a bit academic really as the beam pattern on a modern bike is almost symetrical so no alterations are required.

I'm sure there are still some exceptions but the above is true for most bikes (well, most I know about:rolleyes: )

Back
Top Bottom