crappy protection from rain

rodsharp

Reaction score
Went out for the first time in the rain on 1200 last week.I couldnt believe how wet and dirty by back and the seat got from spray etc. This was never a problem on 1150.
Have looked at various forums about huggers,mudguards ,homemade contraptions,some of which look as if they would work. Question is ,does anything stop this mess or is it something I shall have to live with?

Went out for the first time in the rain on 1200 last week.I couldnt believe how wet and dirty by back and the seat got from spray etc. This was never a problem on 1150.
Have looked at various forums about huggers,mudguards ,homemade contraptions,some of which look as if they would work. Question is ,does anything stop this mess or is it something I shall have to live with?
Probably have to live with it. Perhaps I've forgotten what my earlier bikes were like or perhaps my GS is dirty most of the time - but I've never noticed this "spray" problem. Do you not wear waterproofs?

Do you not wear waterproofs?

Probably does, and is fed up with coming home covered in crap. :rob

It does seem to be something that the 12GS does. There's quite a few posts complaining of the same thing and some solutions to counter it. I have a Motorrad Concepts hugger fitted and still get a fair bit of dirt thrown up my back, tho' the pillions legs/feet are much better off.

I've had two 1200's with huggers and a 1200adv without a hugger and i've not relly noticed a difference on the back of my legs, however a gaucho on the adv over the winter has kept me warm, dry(ish) and toasty all winter:thumb

Shep

I've got the BestRest spraystopper and it is very good value for money. I still get dirty but nothing like I used to. Mind you more gets thrown out the back so the back of the bike, panniers and topbox get dirtier than before.

Mine works - the infamous 99p from Lidl hugger LINK HERE

With the 'hugger' my bike looked like this

with.JPG

And Clive's after the same route looked like this

without.JPG

If its preventing the need for cleaning he's after I suggest he leaves the bike at home :D

Ha ! Call that dirty ? Ha!

Rodsharp - I posted a similar comment here

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100879

And it appears that if you are a real GSer, then getting shit-up is par for the course, and woe betide anybody who complains.
But of all the bikes I've had, I've never been so mucky just from road riding.

Oh! bollocks! I've said it again!! Look out!!! Incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

I think you have to live with it, huggers havn't made much difference but I haven't tried the Lidl homemade idea. It's a GS, you're suppossed to get dirty;) , or get an RT:eek:

stay in when its raining or has rained recently......or buy a car :thumb

My "Crappy Protection" consists of a combination of three modifications costing less than £40 in total.

Firstly thanks to Colin I followed his excellent instructions and made my own DIY Spray Protector mudflap. http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/mudflap.html
The rubber I used was from a Halfords Toolbox Rubber Mat. These are priced at £9.99 but actually scan through at £3.00

protection1.jpg

protection2.jpg

Secondly I added a Motorrad Concepts Rear Fender Extender (£16.96). It is very strong and gives a good coverage. Matches in well with a R1200GS fitted with Vario Panniers.

Pannier1.jpg

Lastly I added a Front Fender Extender (£18.00) from Nippy Normans. I had some Halfords Tool box rubber matting left over so used a bit of that to further extend the protection. Gives good protection to the front end from crap and certainly reduces spray to riders feet.

protection3.jpg

Tested the all round protection earlier today on a road covered with Highland cow crap and glad to say none went over the bike. :thumb

protection4.jpg

Skyenet, what is that on the left hand side of the bike, attached to the footrest hanger?
Mark

Skyenet, what is that on the left hand side of the bike, attached to the footrest hanger?
Mark

protection1.jpg

JohnC was right :thumb It is a Zena 14 Disc Lock. Thatcham 3 and a wee alarm to remind you its on the front wheel before driving off :blast

To prevent the frame getting marked I found that cable tidies tubing clips nicely around the frame. Also used on the handlebars behind the keys to stop scratching. For wider dimension bars I use some spare pond hose I had lying around. Just cut it to length and then a further cut along the length of tubing. It then snaps over frame/bars such as where you might lift the bike by the frame. I also use it on my H&B crashbars just under the vavle cover, just in case I drop it.

They all do that Sir

Yep , they all do that sir... seems to keep that off road look you gotta keep the mudgaurds away from the wheels... I use the home made crap flap and a hugger, its better than when it came from the factory but the back of my left boot still gets some spray ... I love these bike and am on my second 12 gs and before that I have had nearly every GS model back to the GSPD.... The ideal bike for Ireland , but I still think that if I spend that sort of money on a bike the mudgaurds should work...Just look at where the back of the front mudgaurd ends !!!!! Is it a case of form over function?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom