Stripped allen key headed bolt - how to remove ?

For what it is worth, there is another type of extractor sold here in the colonies by Snap-On but probably made by someone else (as it is sold under the Blue Point name, which is the brand that Snap-On uses for things it doesn't make>)
They are longish hardened splined shafts with hex-nuts that ride over the shafts to turn them.
You find the right sized one in the kit, tap it into the hole (or, in this case, the hex ) and turn it with the over-fitting nut.

They are REALLY good devices... work almost as well as a hardened torx bit tapped in to the hex:)

Mark

used them here. very good kit :thumb2

I would try using a Torx to remove the plug. The idea of drilling it out and having swarf flying around between the gears in the Final Drive unit for the next 20,000 miles doesn't sound good to me. :eek: :eek:

used them here. very good kit :thumb2

+ another one.

In my experience not many people in the aviation industry use "easy outs" as they're a right barsteward to remove when they snap. And that's in part because the blue point ones need a parallel drill hole, whereas ideally the other sh1t need a tapered hole for maximum bearing surface :blast

the tapered "easy:yelrotflmouts" also splay the bolt, so making it even tighter :rolleyes:

Easy outs - Always highly recommended by people that have never actually tried using them.

:D

If the Torx fails, I'd weld it.

A friend has just removed a rounded out allen bolt from the underside of my KTM 400EXC with the aid of a TiG welder. He welded the end of an M8 hex head bolt in to the centre of the Allen bolt & used a socket on the hex.

Have you got a stainless filler plug? If so, I'd also avoid the Easy Out as they're brittle & prone to snapping.

not what i'm thinking of.

fluted extractor like this, is what i've used successfully in the past.

21881.JPG

20866.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=158&group_ID=1254&store=uk&dir=catalog

Another vote for a Torx key, this time with the addition of an impact driver.
Just because I like hitting things with a hammer. :thumb
The impact driver was a good buy all those years ago when Jap bikes came with lead headed screws and it's had no end of use since.
By the way the thread is 2 weeks old, so it's unlikely to be still in there isn't it?

....errr ....ummmm.... actually it's still there :eek: - I've been too busy riding the thing to get round to attacking it yet :p Might have a chance this weekend if I get 5 minutes to myself. I never thought one little stripped allen key bolt could run into a thread with so many opinions and debate.

Maybe I should have titled it "....how many GSer's does it take to change the final drive oil.... when you can't get the allen key to turn ?" :D

Back
Top Bottom