Estonia

Ferry??!

Would anyone know how best to book the Käpellskär - Paldiski ferry? I can't seem to find any info on the net.

I'm looking to book 3rd July going out to Eesti, coming back on the 8th, me and my RT. Any approx idea of fare would really help too (if not asking too much here :thumb )

Thanks for any help
Rob

Hi Dave,

good to hear you're feeling better. The thing is it could happend to anyone and the most probable places are big busy cities. This is why I mostly travel on the countryside myself, and when visiting cities I'm more careful. Been travelling over 50,000kms by now, including Iran's big cities and have been lucky so far. But I'm almost certan it'll happend to me sooner or later too, it's a part of travelling. Many of my friends who travel alot have been robbed in cities all around civilized Europe, not counting third world.

If you're experienced traveller you probably can avoid many potential robberies indeed. A 'fake' moneywallet always comes in hand, with expired credit cards in them and a day-money, that you use in the shops or hotel checkins so robber sees you use this wallet and you can give it away with a little loss if it comes to that.

Safe travels, Margus

Would anyone know how best to book the Käpellskär - Paldiski ferry? I can't seem to find any info on the net.

I'm looking to book 3rd July going out to Eesti, coming back on the 8th, me and my RT. Any approx idea of fare would really help too (if not asking too much here :thumb )

Thanks for any help
Rob

Hi Rob,

Looks like this line isn't working for this season yet altough they have the destinations marked on the web page. Don't know if they've really stopped it or the ship just is in the temporary maintenance (it was a bit older ship going this way, cheaper too).

The company's web is here:

http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/

There you'll find timetables and also rates (depending on the date) for Stockholm-Tallinn route. Motorcycle one way should be around 30EUR, with sidecar 60EUR.

Good roads, Margus :beerjug:

gr8roberto :) ,
as I mentioned on a thread earlier, the ferry does not seem to be running between Kapellskär and Paldiski. I'm booked on the Stockholm to Tallin one.

Margus :) ,
I'm due to be arriving in Tallin in mid-July. Have you any suggestions for a place to stay for a night or two with secure parking?

Cheers:thumb2

Gavin

Margus :) ,
I'm due to be arriving in Tallin in mid-July. Have you any suggestions for a place to stay for a night or two with secure parking?

Gavin,

I'm poor bastid with a very dynamic travel plans mostly ("the adventure starts where things start to go not as planned" ;)) so I never pre-book any of hotels. From my experiences the best is just to go into hotels check in and ask for secure parking for the bikes. Some hotels can be booked out often, so can't really recommend any speciefic ones.

But never count out hostels, backpacker's places, etc "smaller amounted star" hotels, some of them may have very secure parking places and cheap too, a good pro especially if you're tight on budget. Just look around, if not suitable, ask for another place from them, they'll direct you.

Margus :thumb2

Gav
We stayed at the Uniquestay ( http://www.uniquestay.com ) just on the edge of the old town. Nice hotel, clean and not too expensive. 300 yard walk into the old town. They let us park the GS and RT in the rear yard of the hotel (it was posher than it sounds ... a sort of picnic table cafe area) which was locked a night. Seemed very safe in there. They also had a free internet PC in the room.
I have no connection with the hotel but they seemed pretty decent.
Cheers
Dave

Yep, but there are at least two Uniquestay hotels here. One of them very close to the Old Town as Dave said, other is a bit further away. I'd recommend the Old Town one too.

Thanks to you both Margus and Gav.. :beerjug:

Cheers
Rob

Hmm

Don't know what I'm on about. I'm not booked on this ferry. I think I was getting mixed up with ferry to Norway. Have yet to have this confirmed.

Thanks Dave & Margus for the info on the Uniquestay. I'll look into this.

Gav

Estonia bound am I!

Just waiting for confirmation but I'm Estonia Bound. Going to take a Ferry in from Karlshalm to Ventspils, Latvia and then ride into Eesti (any view on how long this would take pls?) and then on the way back return to Ventspils to take the ferry this time to Rostock to make my way back to Calais.

Looking forward to it hugely, my brother lives in Tallinn, and I always said to myself I'd get there on two wheels at some point.

Any tips for ride outs would also be appreciated (But no GS any more, now on an RT); definitely plan to re-visit Tartu, and my brothers band is playing in Parnu one night whilst I'm there, which is nice.

Thanks all,
Rob

last year i dropped my wallet in tallin and an old dear ran about 100 yds after me down the street to give me it back . we stayed with some russian peasants in a "guest house " in the back of beyond and for hardly any money atall (about £15 pounds I think) we got a clean bed , fine company albeit that we were mutually incomprehensible , a massive breakfast and the most friendly welcome we have ever had. The bike stayed on the pavement for a week outside a hotel in tallin and we had no problems atall . I broke my helmet and a bloke drove aboutr ten miles out of his way to show me a shop who could help. They gave me a new part free of charge

Its sad that there is tension between the various ethnic groups margus, Has anything been resolved re the memorial?

Its sad that there is tension between the various ethnic groups margus, Has anything been resolved re the memorial?

There isn't any tension. It's always more contrast looking everything from foreign soil. It's the same like I also might think it's very sad you discriminate muslims and other minority in the UK etc.

On the memorial relocation those who came to protest and to clash and to rob 70% of them were with criminal background organized there some part by local Russian embassy (at least most of proof opts there). Mostly russian speaking person. But they along with those who actually came to protest in a civilized way made 1-2% out of the local russian population, the rest stayed home.

Russians aren't coherent russians, like there aren't any coherent estonians who say they're fully estonians. You can't define the definition "russian" or "estonian" here actually.

There're very different type of them, some extremists, but most are civilized people (who mostly stayed home too).

Those clashing and robbing criminals did created temporary tension between us. Kremlin's main target was to cut any dialog we have between local russians and estonians. But it didn't work out for them as they'd wanted it.

A (historically) educated local russian says "I'm russian but my homeland is Estonia". At the current moment tension exist only for those uneducated russians who are in the grasp of the Russian TV and Radio media, that is basically 100% under Kremlin's hand and basically turns everything into propaganda they can use for their own good.

Our tiny less than 1 million same language speaking country media never can compete with 100+ million country's media in propaganda war. But I think the recent relocation has opened the gate to boost the connection between us (local russians and estonias) to stand against the Russian propaganda, it has boosted the local russians integration into our society too, basically quite the opposite effect Kremlin wanted.

Like with any this kind of event - it also has temporary boosted the extremists in both sides, but they make a non existant small amount of the population and they just create useless arrogant noise.

Etc etc., lot of things happened and didn't happend.

I can't write the situation with few words here. There are always extremists and propaganda making lot of noise that makes you think the situation is so bad. From ethnical point of view I can tell you it isn't. Search around CNN or BBC for more objective rating about the stuff we had going on here during and shortly after the relocation.

And don't be sad. :thumb2

Interesting thread,
I am exploring Estonia next month. Will be riding out to Latvia (via Poland) to stay a week with my wifes family then off on my own to explore.

Really like the sound of the country routes, Tsiklonaut where are you based, could you help with some decent routes especially from Latvia up to Tallinn.

I will be leaving London on the 14th July and probably heading up to Estonia
8 days later.

Regards
Steve

Interesting thread,
I am exploring Estonia next month. Will be riding out to Latvia (via Poland) to stay a week with my wifes family then off on my own to explore.

Really like the sound of the country routes, Tsiklonaut where are you based, could you help with some decent routes especially from Latvia up to Tallinn.

Hi Steve,

you're on GS right? You're looking a bit more adventure, can cope a bit gravel?

I just returned from South-Estonia yesterday, visited the most sounthern point and checked around the small roads close to the Latvian border, roads like these, that are doable with travel kit:

IMG_5182.jpg

But there are many possibilities from Latvia to Tallinn.

Let me know what sort of roads are you looking for I then can look into the map to see suitable roads and destinations for you and will let you know. I know the South Estonian part of the country well.

Yes I,m on a GS with tourances, carrying enough gear to spend the odd evening under the stars. Hoping to make me way up to the furthest point of Europe in Norway.
I have about three weeks to get from Liepeja up to Nordkap then back to London so hopefully a few days off the beaten track in Estonia would be in order.
I have a set of Reise 1:600000 maps which show some tracks in the area of Kilingi-nomme but I,m not sure how accurate a national map can be.
I don,t have sat nav and to be honest I would rather take me chances with maps, much more fun ending up somewhere completely different from your intended destination.
A bit of local knowledge would be much appreciated and maybe you would accept a beer or two in Tallinn

Steve
Sat-Nav was useless ... well at least the Garmin one ... they don't seem to have mapped the baltic states yet. In fact the new version was worse than the basic maps which are loaded in the unit by default! You are much better off with a map. We ended up with about 3 roads in Estonia on the sat-nav and no map so not much in the way of small tracks or roads :tears
Good luck
Dave

You can buy really good Regio road maps from local stories, scale 1:150000, cost appr.20€. There you can find all gravel roads (yellow) and even many narrow tracks not suitable for cars.

Steve
Sat-Nav was useless ... well at least the Garmin one ... they don't seem to have mapped the baltic states yet. In fact the new version was worse than the basic maps which are loaded in the unit by default! You are much better off with a map. We ended up with about 3 roads in Estonia on the sat-nav and no map so not much in the way of small tracks or roads :tears
Good luck
Dave

Dave

I loaded CN V9 onto my 2610 before we did Baltics and found it worked fine, V9 only has full detail for capital citys in the baltics and the base map was fine on the open road :thumb2
Poland is now fully mapped the only problems we had with the Gps were due to me not reading the user's manual before we left :D

If you look on Garmin site its shows you what countrys have full mapping ...

Don't know about Reise maps details, but I'm relatively sure the best maps are the local Regio maps, as sayed before, you can buy here relatively easily.

Re: proper route to Tallinn - it depents where you want to enter the country. You can do it from bigger border posts like Ikla (direct way from Riga), Valga or further east - Luhamaa. There are some very small borderposts between them too on some gravel roads. (I'd personally recommend entering Estonia from one of these)

So do you have any plans where you want to enter Estonia, from west, mid or east? Let me know if you have. If not then I can do pics from my Regio map and mark some proper nice roads I know on the way to Tallinn, something like constructing route plans for you that you can choose between. If I find some time in the evening that is... :eek:

If I'm in Tallinn on the day you come and off the work, certanly I'm up for a beer.

Margus :beerjug:

Yes I,m on a GS with tourances, carrying enough gear to spend the odd evening under the stars. Hoping to make me way up to the furthest point of Europe in Norway.
I have about three weeks to get from Liepeja up to Nordkap then back to London so hopefully a few days off the beaten track in Estonia would be in order.
I have a set of Reise 1:600000 maps which show some tracks in the area of Kilingi-nomme but I,m not sure how accurate a national map can be.
I don,t have sat nav and to be honest I would rather take me chances with maps, much more fun ending up somewhere completely different from your intended destination.
A bit of local knowledge would be much appreciated and maybe you would accept a beer or two in Tallinn

Back
Top Bottom