Estonia

Dave

I loaded CN V9 onto my 2610 before we did Baltics and found it worked fine, V9 only has full detail for capital citys in the baltics and the base map was fine on the open road :thumb2
Poland is now fully mapped the only problems we had with the Gps were due to me not reading the user's manual before we left :D

If you look on Garmin site its shows you what countrys have full mapping ...

I'm into oldschool still, no money for a GPS, a way too overpriced per their purpose, creating too much hassle, expensive thing to be broken or get stolen... :eek: and a big detailed map is still vastly more advanced and detailed than a 2 inch screen. ;) You see guys with 3 GPSes on board asking for directions :D

Anyways Regio has a CD for GPSes too, I've got one collecting dust. Dunno what compatability (Garmin, Magellan etc) it has. I'll try to check it if I'm back home.

I'm into oldschool still, no money for a GPS, a way too overpriced per their purpose, creating too much hassle, expensive thing to be broken or get stolen... :eek: and a big detailed map is still vastly more advanced and detailed than a 2 inch screen. ;) You see guys with 3 GPSes on board asking for directions :D

Anyways Regio has a CD for GPSes too, I've got one collecting dust. Dunno what compatability (Garmin, Magellan etc) it has. I'll try to check it if I'm back home.

I agree always take maps ... :thumb2

But if you've never owned a Gps you not really in a position to judge ;)

Trust me i had the same views as you until our last trip ..they are great when you enter a city you've never been to home or abroad ..eg; We were looking for our hotel in Riga i programmed it in to Gps and followed prompts to the door...:clap

Thats a lot less effort than trying to read a street map whilst riding in the city rush hour traffic.:nenau

Also very good when looking for fuel Stops ...

Also mapsource is great for pre programing routes ...I did this in Norway used a michelin map for detail then mapsource to save route to Gps when we got to Norway we just followed a pre set route a lot less stressfull when leading a group:thumb2

Margus

I will probably enter Estonia north of Riga or thereabouts, not sure which day yet but PM your number and I,ll give you a shout.

Tend to agree with you on the expense front, sat nav would be nice but can,t help thinking how many beers I could get for the price.

I reckon it would be most useful for the route across western Europe to the Polish border as it looks a bit complicated from France through to Germany, I guess I,ll have to stop a few times to scratch me head whilst looking at the maps, still hey ho!

Last time I drove to Germany all you had to do was follow the big green truck in front.:nenau

Yes, I had version 9 and it does map the capital cities ... however for the rest of the Baltics it only has the main roads and uses the V9 maps for routing ... trying to get to Tartu from Tallinn in V8 was about 200 miles, this turned to 700 miles and the requirement for a Russian Visa in V9!
If we had had a proper map then I would have done more riding on small lanes etc but as it was all the sat-nav showed was the large main roads.
Much as I rate the sat-nav (and it was very useful on our tour) it was poor in the Baltic states. I would use a map at present.
Cheers
Dave

Back
Top Bottom