1200 GSA minor repairs advice.

smartr

Reaction score
Morning all,

Was stupid enough to drop the GSA yesterday morning, thankfully (but rather embarrisingly) pretty much at a standstill.

I have scratched the nearside bash plate on the Cylinderhead and some minor scratches on the crash bars.

I was going to try and rub the scratches out as much as possible with wire wool/emery paper then try some silver hamerite spray (assuming it matches the bash plate/crash bar colour).

Any one have any bright ideas for a little cosmentic surgery like this, or does anyone know of one of those mobile repair services that might be able to help?

It may happen again, just after you've touched it up and repaired it:blast

So why bother:nenau

Leave them on as a battle scars, make up a good story about how you swerved to miss a Touareg warrior last week in the desert, and you'll be a hero too:thumb

Shep

The engine is painted by the manufacturer in a water based paint so maybe solvent based paints may react badly, and the crash bars seem to be electro plated steel so its doubtful any paint will cover the damage well.

Agree with shep on the bars electro plated mild steel so give them a wipe ocasionally with wd40 to stop them going a ktm colour .

i think the crash bars a some kind of stainless, they're not magnetic anyway.

Morning all,

Was stupid enough to drop the GSA yesterday morning, thankfully (but rather embarrisingly) pretty much at a standstill.

I have scratched the nearside bash plate on the Cylinderhead and some minor scratches on the crash bars.

I was going to try and rub the scratches out as much as possible with wire wool/emery paper then try some silver hamerite spray (assuming it matches the bash plate/crash bar colour).

Any one have any bright ideas for a little cosmentic surgery like this, or does anyone know of one of those mobile repair services that might be able to help?

Leave the crash bars alone, BMW have been recalling some of them for rust on the welds, so best not to play with that.

Cylinder head protector are about £60 quid, I've done a similar thing with mine... currently the shine new protector is on the shelf in the garage while I make sure I dont drop the bike again...

I repaired similar on my 1200 (non adv) when I dropped it at walking pace, and while I don't intend to drop it again, if I do, I don't think I'd bother with cosmetic repairs anymore. I'd consider doing all the cosmetic stuff if I were to sell the bike and only if it made economic sense, but otherwise.... it's character.

Thanks for all the comments folks, think I'll go with the "battle scars/character" route rather than bodge a repair.

So if anyone asks, I didn't drop it at the traffic lights on the A13 yesterday, I hit a rocky outcrop whislt overlanding through Kazakhstan!!

Thanks again.

I tend to think that a spotless adventure bike is a bit like a landrover with alloy wheels and cream leather seats.

i'm so glad i aint the only one to drop their bike..........i just took the cylinder head covers of the hubbys adv and put them on mine:D :D :D so u can't see the marks.......janie

GSA Drop

Glad it's not just me. I've dropped mine at least 4or 5 times that I care to admit. Always at low speed and usually with a full tank of fuel.

Battle scars are def the way forward. Clean it up when you come to sell it or replace the parts for an as-new look.

oops!

Anyone have any idea how long duct tape will keep oil off my left boot ?:blast
(small crack LH rocker cover)

Back
Top Bottom