Cool / Airtex Jackets - Opinions ?

Voyager

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks,

I am off to Norway & Sweden in July and then to Spain & Morocco in October.

I have been looking at jackets suitable for use in hot climates.

A search of the stalls at the BMF Rally on Saturday produced four candidates. All have mesh panels front & back, yet still have elbow, shoulder & back armour (actually, the RTS didn't have back armour).

The one I like best is the 'Cool' mesh/Airtex jacket from JTS clothing, it comes with a separate waterproof lining.

Others were RST, Joe Rocket & Hunter (claimed to be waterproof - yet it looked as though midges could fly through it !).

Has anyone used this sort of jacket, and if so - are there any pitfalls ?

Thanks.

Bob.

I have no experience of the jackets you mention, but i use a Rukka Airvantage suit all year around that uses a waterproof liner, its a great jacket but if you are out and about and you need to remove the liners, they are bulky and a rider and pillions liners would easily fill a medium sized pannier so to make full use of the clothing system you need to think ahead and leave space when packing.

Top stuff though, very waterproof with liners and very cool in the summer without:thumb

Shep

Yes, I've a FirstGear mesh jacket in hi-viz yellow. Its American and I bought it last year as I took the bike to the US for a three month trip. For much of the time in the West the daytime temperatures were up in the 90s and the hottest was in Death Valley when in Stovepipe Wells it peaked at 118f.

The jacket is in the short 'bomber' style as favoured by the Merrycans and I found it really good. The so-called waterproof lining can be removed and is no more than showerproof. I got caught a few times in heavy rain and I was soaked to the skin. When worn without the lining, it's just like riding in a t-shirt, it's that cool. The jacket comes with all of the usual armour - shoulders, elbows and back.

From memory it cost about £60 and in my opinion it was money well spent.

I also rode across the US in 2002 wearing a convention fabric jacket and I baked.:spitfire

The first mesh jacket I bought was a Belstaff Air Extreme and it was great but no liner and could become very cool in the arms area if clouds came out. I bought a couple of Gore windproof cyclists sleeves which I could wear under the jacket if it turned cooler. I also bought a Montane Litespeed - Windproof Jacket (85g :eek: ) to wear under the Belstaff if I was going longer distances.

I was looking for a similar jacket for my Daughter Skye when I came accross an Alpinestars ACR Air-Flo Summer Motorcycle at my Local J&S store. Was that impressed with them that I bought us one each (£99 each). They have a removable windproof/waterproof liner but I haven't used it. The Alpinestar jacket is my preffered jacket over the Belstaff unless it is a very hot day. It has a bit of lining in the sleeves which makes it just a little longer to put on than the Belstaff but this helps maintain a more comfortable temperature, and I always have the option of using my Montane jacket with it. Easy adjustements on the sleeves. I see J&S area selling them for only £79.99 through their ebay shop.

I reckon that having a waterproof liner that you zip in is probably more hassle than its worth and probably just easier to carry a lightweight waterproof jacket to put over the mesh one if the weather turns wet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alpinestars-A...W0QQitemZ140120215433QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30222

I have a Dainese airtex jacket. Comes with armour in the shoulders/elbows and a pocket for a back protector. It's a good bit of kit when it's really warm and I'll be taking it to France in July. :bounce1 The only real downside is that it can get cold very quickly once the heat has gone and I carry another jacket in the boxes just in case.

Oh, and the thought of bugs squisching into the holes ain't too nice either. But it washes up well.

Thanks for the replies, sounds as though I need to do some searching for the perfect item !

Bob.

I picked up a Fieldsheer mesh jacket at Beaulieu two summers ago.

It was late Sunday afternoon, and I offered the chap £20 .. he smiled and I got a the jacket. I guess I might haver gone lower, but I reckoned hat even if I didn't like it, I hadn't lost too much.

It comes with a quilted liner and a waterproof overjacket.. It's fully armoured.

And without the liner it's just like wearing a t-shirt. Fantastic on very hot & humid days.

I noticed that Frank Thomas did a neat and similar jacket for around £80 or so.

Back
Top Bottom