Summer Boot Dilemma

chelseadude

I am due to go and see friends in Normandy in a couple of weeks and have recently bought a pair Airflow boots for the summer. My dilemma is I want to wear them on the trip but being realistic I am probably going to encounter rain at some point and they are not waterproof.

Rather than take two pairs of boots which would be ridiculous I wondered whether anyone knows of waterproof cover/gaiter they have used and can recommend?

Hein Gericke used to sell boot gaitors...as in totally enclosed ones,rather than just 'leggings'.
They were in a nylon material and also available in a rubberised type.

I know they`re very popular with our Teutonic cousins,so maybe a German site may be worth perusing :nenau

Or....there`s the good old 'Blighty Biker Abroad' technique of wearing 200 quid boots with yer feet wrapped in plazzy shopping bags......:eek:

Try Held. The UK agent is

Keith Blair Ltd.
Marchington Woodlands,
Uttoxeter,
ST14 8PB

Tel: 01283 820508
Fax: 01283 820398
keithblair@boltblue.com

Held have 3 types of overboots in their catalogue, so you ought to be able to find one to suit you. :thumb

belstaff used to do overboots,have you checked ebay cos they pop up a lot on there

Thanks for your input guys - your wisdom is much appreciated.

Another alternative is a pair of Goretex boot liners:
04021.JPG

Available from Army surplus, Silvermans do them from £10 a pair.

Mike

Sealskins are good but only last 1 year max before leaking (my last pair leaked after 6 months) They will last longer if you don't do much walking around in them. the goretex ones last longer but are less comfortable. Polly bags never seem to last more than a couple of hours....

plastic carrier bags and elastic bands are a serious option but if it rains why not just get wet feet and sod it. . I wouldnt want to be bothered with carrying gaiters and such around with me. sealskins really are uncomfy in my experience and you wouldnt want to stop at the side of the road and put them on if it rains would you.

Air flow boots-for Normandy? Are you serious?
The weather over there is not that different to ours-if you'd said the South of France/Spain or North Africa it might be different but I cannot see you needing vented boots in Normandy ;)

For years I used alpinestars race boots, loads of protection, aand vents to keep my feet cool, but they could be closed on cooler days.

Combined with a pair of gortext socks (still waterproof after 10 years) then that was a fantastic combination.

I have tried overboots and their a hassle.

I have tried a sidi blcak rain, and they were fine for 2 years, but now leak like a seive, and I found that they were too hot even for UK summer riding.

So I for one will be going back to race boots, and the gortex socks.

I do use the gortex socks with a pair of breathable/wickable under socks, and so find that you need a 1/2 or 1 size bigger boot.

let us know what you opt for in the end, and how you find it.

Cheers

Dave#...

Back
Top Bottom