Taking power from the BMW GPS socket

My dealer are saying that they cannot sell me that item - its not a 'resaleable item' - just for workshops. Time to give Bristol a call.

Since I first enquired Bristol Motorrad have had a couple more requests! :thumb

Took them a while to find it, before we had the right part no. - what you say about it not being a 'resaleable item' might be the reason.

can just confirm that I've just got mine from Park Lane BMW as well. Arrived in the post today within 4 days of me placing order!

tops, will be wiring that up at the weekend

Can any one tell me which of those identical yellow wires go where?

Many thanks

Chris

Cheeky f*ing git. :spitfire

:confused:

Can any one tell me which of those identical yellow wires go where?

Many thanks

Chris

The wires to the socket on the bike are as follows (you don't use 2)

(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

I think the yellow wires are also marked 1, 2 and 3 but not got the connector in front of me. Easy enough, the connector only fits one way so you'll see which wire is which.

TIP connecting wires:
Strip the wires, twist together good and tight then solder the joint (avoids dry joints and high resistance joints that can result from conventional method of tinning and soldering wires) Heat shrink or self amalgamating tape to finish.

Andy thats a nice clear wright up, I see that you left the inline fuse off the Garmin lead, what is your thinking behind that? I left mine in place but it does make it less easy to make a neat job.

Chris

Don't think the BMW Navigators have fuses either, as the canbus will shut them down if anything was to go wrong

Thanks and like the man said Chris :) ............and just for reference, to be effective fuses need to be as close to the battery as possible ;)

INSTRUCTION

I've done a full blown 'How to' article here now:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.nvxszdkebklxuaer&pageId=167512

Let me know if there's any oversights/errors.......thanks

Updated..........

"I think I will tidy my installation by using your method.
There's another 'cons' to add to your 'Use the original power lead... direct to the battery' -- that the terminals get oxidised (is that the right term?) by being live all the time.
Tim
" (when using a direct always live supply from the battery)

Great Article

That is a great article AndyW - I have searched around and can't find anyone to supply me with the part number 80 00 0 611 656 (even Bristol Motorrad) as they say that this classed as a tool and they have been specifically asked not to sell them. It affects their bonus or something....any ideas on how to obtain one?

Help appreciated.

I bought mine from Bristol Motorrad!!!!!!!!

I'd ask them again to supply part number 80 00 0 611 656 (£8.52) and if they won't play ball order by phone from another Dealer..........and advise BM that you may be taking all future business elsewhere!

Just as an aside, here's the actual lead for the BMW Navigator GPS systems.

Attachments

• navigator_power.jpg
    navigator_power.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,891
That is a great article AndyW - I have searched around and can't find anyone to supply me with the part number 80 00 0 611 656 (even Bristol Motorrad) as they say that this classed as a tool and they have been specifically asked not to sell them. It affects their bonus or something....any ideas on how to obtain one?

Help appreciated.

I had the devils own job getting one. In the end, I phoned Ocean in Plymouth. Extremely helpful and knew exactly what I was after. Was posted to me within a week:clap You might want to try Stumpy on this forum as well. Drop him a quick PM :thumb2

I've done a full blown 'How to' article here now:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.nvxszdkebklxuaer&pageId=167512

Let me know if there's any oversights/errors.......thanks

Here's another possible reason to power your SatNav unit via a switched source:

ZumoForum said:
Just ran across this tidbit on a V Strom group and tested it myself today. Zumo and apparently other Garmin cradles have a small current draw even when the unit is not it it! The V Strom post noted and I also metered a .05 amp draw. This would account for a low battery condition I had experienced, I was leaving the cradle hot thinking it was at a zero draw w/o the Zumo in it. Though this is not enough to draw the battery down overnight, I will now unplug the power lead when not expecting to ride for several days.

Pretty tiny current, possibly due to contamination across the contacts on the cradle?

Here's another possible reason to power your SatNav unit via a switched source:

Pretty tiny current, possibly due to contamination across the contacts on the cradle?

I've had a similar experience.

Bike is an F800GS, Zumo is powered from the socket under the fake tank cover (which is the designated GPS connector), and recently added an Autocom piggybacked to the auxiliary socket. Over winter on two occasions the battery went completely flat - hadn't been using the bike much but it was garaged - took it to BMW and they charged the battery, got the bike back.

Battery went flat again, so they checked that the battery was OK. That tested as good, but they then noticed my Zumo connection, admittedly I'd sussed which two of the 3 connectors to use and had just tinned the ends of the wires and pushed them into the socket - although I did that after seeing it recommended somewhere! This seemed to work just fine, Zumo and Autocom operated as I'd expected.

However, the technician reckoned that the missing connection (the so-called "speed pulse" one) was the reason for the battery going flat. They'd noticed that the power was remaining on after "ignition off" for far longer than it should have been - something was not permitting the power to switch off when it should - and that everything electrical was drawing power in that state, hence the flattening of the battery. Since the Zumo's power cable only has two wires, I didn't see a need to use the third wire. And if even the empty cradle draws poer, what I think I'll do is wire the Zumo through a relay, triggered from the power to the auxiliary socket.

Does that sound reasonable?

Back
Top Bottom