Taking power from the BMW GPS socket

Firebird

Reaction score
I've been setting up my new Zumo on a Touratech mount and thought I'd take power from the BMW GPS socket taped up by the headstock.

After a bit of testing I figured out which pin on the connector supplied what and was soon siliconing the wires in place, tie wrapping everything and feeling rather pleased with myself.

Before this I'd tested switching on the ignition - on came the Zumo. Switch it off and 30 seconds or so later the Zumo loses power and reverts to its batteries. Smug mode fully engaged.

Triumphant I went for a test ride only to discover I had no audio? Having searched around I discovered this was because the Zumo was on battery power. It seems that whilst there is power when the ignition is first switched on, once you start the bike the voltage disappears.

Is this the Canbus kicking me in the crutch (again)? Is it trying to talk to the Zumo, failing, and then powering down the socket? :spitfire

Still it's not as bad as my DRZ. Punctured the front changing the tyre and have given up on the rear before I completely fork that one up too!

It's been a good day!

I run a 276C from said socket, works perfick.

Might it be the case that some Canbus software versions cannot sense very low loads and dicsonnects them? I read somewhere of this being an issue as regards running automcom off the accessory socket.

Could you connect a small lamp to the socket and see if it stays on after the interval for which the gps stays on?

Bin

Might it be the case that some Canbus software versions cannot sense very low loads and dicsonnects them?

I'd have thought if anything it was that the load to charge the Zumo was higher than the Canbus expects for that socket. Someone told me 'that the pixies that run the Canbus only wake up when the engine is running'. Thus I may have my wiring working until I start the bike, wake the pixies and incur their wrath at my voltage demands.

I'm glad I didn't cut the lead that came with the Zumo. At least I've still got enough wire to run it back to a relay I have under the seat that comes on with the ignition.

I got so fed up with the canbus system that I just wired mine straight to the battery via a 5 amp fuse also the bonus to this is that it dosent turn off when I power down.

I also re wired the aux socket straight to the battery via a 10 amp fuse so that it is just like my 1150 used to be live all the time makes you wonder why if it ant broke dont fix it that BMW should think about taking on board.

Quoting from http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4648.html which describes the connector which fits this socket:

"randyJun 7th, 2006, 10:54 pm
I'll see if I can shed a little light on the connector. The connector number is X9349, for optional accessories. The connector has three wires:

(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

The Blue/Green is a pulse derived from the speedometer pulse and very likely will measure around 12V when the bike is stationary. When the bike is moving this lead will have a pulse whose rate will reflect the speed of the motorcycle (each pulse a specific distance and the pulse rate relative to speed). This connector was first introduced on the 2005 K1200LT. This connector is also on the R1200RT, The K1200S and the K1200R. It is the connector used for the BMW Navigator GPS kit. I suspect the speed pulse is for future use with GPS units that employ dead reckoning like the Garmin 2650.

The Red/White lead is ignition switched 12V with a retained power feature. The duration of the retained power seems to vary with the amount of time the ignition is on. Since this supply is straight from the ZFE (central chassis electronics module) it will be current limited. I have no direct information as to what the designed current is, but I am operating an XM radio and a GPS off of it on my K1200S without any problems. I will also soon be adding an autocom to this circuit and will be duplicating this setup on my GT. If you exceed the current capacity of the ZFE on this lead you could always use this output to drive a relay supplied by a fused connection directly to the battery.

Hope this helps."

Looks like you've hooked up to the speed pulse instead of the live wire. According to Randy's description above, this signal exists while the bike is stationary, but becomes a pulse once the bike starts moving. Using the correct connection works fine to power GPS, Autocom etc.

Triumphant I went for a test ride only to discover I had no audio? Having searched around I discovered this was because the Zumo was on battery power. It seems that whilst there is power when the ignition is first switched on, once you start the bike the voltage disappears.

Is this the Canbus kicking me in the crutch (again)? Is it trying to talk to the Zumo, failing, and then powering down the socket? :spitfire

I had a similar experience when connecting the zumo power to the back of the aux socket under the seat. It appears that the Zumo can overload the power limit set for the aux socket.

I have the latest software downloaded on the bike but wondered whether the front socket has a different current limit and if the max current is set for the two aux sockets independantly. I would like to fit a front aux. socket so I can disconnect the Zumo mount and put onto another bike easily but am concerned that the front socket (once installed) may show the same problem.

Navigator 3

I have the BMW Navigator 3 hooked up to the same connector on mine. If I leave the GPS on after switching off the bike, it will remain on for about 10 - 12 mins and then kinda goes into sleep mode.

Hit the key and hey presto - all is working.

So has anyone managed to buy the connector? :-

Part No: 83 300 413 585

from a UK dealer - or is it an import jobbie from the USA?

I just installed a powerlet accesory socket up front in the cokpit and hooked it direct to the battery - no problems with the Zumo. I was sick and tired of the CANBUS giving problems like this. I have my intercom connected direct to the battery too - there was electrical interference coming through the OE accessory socket which was driving me nuts. :spitfire

Following further testing I've discovered the following:

The pin that has 12V(ish) before starting the engine continues to have a voltage after starting the engine (around 14V). However, connecting the earth from the Zumo to either of the 2 remaining pins will cause the CANBUS to cut the power.

However, earthing the Zumo to the frame will keep power to the Zumo and (so far) not upset the CANBUS.

I can't say what the other two pins are for. I'd assume one is an earth and one is a speed pulse. I'm not stupid enough to fall off trying to get a voltage reading from the speed pulse whilst riding down the road voltmeter in hand. Or am I.......:augie

So has anyone managed to buy the connector? :-

Part No: 83 300 413 585

from a UK dealer - or is it an import jobbie from the USA?

I ordered it from a local delaer here in Dublin and it wasn't on the system, but fair play to them they dug around and its supposedly now been added to the ordering system (supposedly had to make a request to BM HQ for that).
So I have it on order but no idea of ETA yet

regards

I ordered it from a local delaer here in Dublin and it wasn't on the system, but fair play to them they dug around and its supposedly now been added to the ordering system (supposedly had to make a request to BM HQ for that).
So I have it on order but no idea of ETA yet

regards

Did you get it, was it the right connector and how much did it cost? Thanks

Did you get it, was it the right connector and how much did it cost? Thanks

Andy

Haven't gotten it yet. Parts deparment are chasing it up but don't think BMW have given them a response yet. Will let you know when I do.
May end up having to chasing it up from the states

bob

Thanks Bob - I'll make some enquiries as well and let you know if I get anywhere. They must be reasonable easy to get hold of as Motorrad Concepts used to sell leads ready made up with this connector........for silly money though....£40 :eek

I wouldn't mind the connector either. Motorrad Concepts also wouldn't sell just the connector and i wasn't paying that much for the lead.

Well here we go at last.......took the BM parts guy a while to track down apparently :nenau

£8.52

......I'll post up my finished cable once done :)

Attachments

• power_connector.jpg
    power_connector.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8,193
Hi Andy

Thats a great help. Do you have any iea from that pic what number actually represents the part number? I'm going to phone my dealer and order a few tomorrow.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom