Wellington, New Zealand

Hi Jase. I rode through Pauatahanui on monday (Queens Birthday) evening after my first ride on my new for me R1150GS from Eastbourne which is home to visit a mate at Raumati then home along Grays Road and over Haywards Hill. I forgot how much fun Grays Road can be on a bike. The Paekakariki Hill road lost the sun to early on the Pauatahanui side for me to bother riding over it, I know I am a softie but I do like riding in sunshine.
How long have you been in London?

Any out there who still live in Wellington or its surrounds?

Adrian

Another Wellingtonian

yea Gidday jason, I'm from Lower Hutt. rebuilding an R1200GS. Might see you on the road in a few months. 3 K100s, F650 and Pegaso previouisly.

Why rebuild the GS

It's an ex kea rentals unit that went down the road somewhere in south island. I have purchased the wreck and am rebuilding it. There are a lot of small things brocken. Like clips and oil lines etc.
I located the following parts that I needed from wreckers in Aus and US.
Front frame - Bent.
Top fork clamp - Broken
Telelever - bent
Axle - bent
Mirror - lost
Sub frame for headlight etc - Bent (Rooted)

Rocker covers are worn through. The headers have so many dents they look like the moon. Windscreen and panels all undamaged. (Though a bit scratched) There are a bunch of other bits, too many to list, that are broken or bent that I am slowly working on. Plus things like wheel bearings etc. I plan to put new forks on it.

Also planning to purchase a GS-911 diagnostic tool so I can clear the computer errors and diagnose any wiring faults. Let me know if you already have one. (http://www.hexcode.co.za/)

Will take me a few months to get it back on the road.

Well Kiwi that sounds like you have your work cut out for you.:thumb2
I have a 2000 R1150 GS that is an ex-rental that I picked up down in Christchurch. I keep my eyes on Trademe (local version of Ebay but better) and have picked up a Baglux tank cover and bag, spare wind screen, K&N filter, TT centre stand stone guard, spare muffler, spare beak and recently a set of Tobinators with yet another screen. I just need some lower foot pegs, handle bar risers and hand guards.
I think I saw some R1200GS stuff on Trademe tonight:beerjug:

Last edited:
It's an ex kea rentals unit that went down the road somewhere in south island. I have purchased the wreck and am rebuilding it. There are a lot of small things brocken. Like clips and oil lines etc.
I located the following parts that I needed from wreckers in Aus and US.

Ahhh.... Kea rent 1200s... :bounce1

I feel another trip coming on. :aidan

M

rebuild progress

All my bits from Aus turned up. So now have new telelever and front frame installed. New forks ordered on Friday.

Bike 90% complete. Just waiting on new forks from germany.
The GS-911 tool is great. Connects to laptop or Nokia phone. (For when away from home) Let's you view and clear fault codes. Good diagnostic tool, especially if you have major work. I have repaired/replaced everything else (Except the panniers) Just got the rocker covers back from welding/painting. replaced speedo glass and needle. Last nightLook great. Get to start it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Ahebron - I'm out in Te Marua, don't know if we've met yet.

Kiwi - Good luck with the rebuild.

If either of you have a mind to get your bikes a bit dirty, there's a few of us around Wellington that like to get out and about a bit over on the Wairarapa coast or up in the Akatarawas around Karapoti and ocver the Pram track from time to time. Range from those on Dakars, G650Xs, 1150GSs, KTM990s and a couple of us (including me) on HP2s. Bit of a laugh and always room for more on these rides.

Captial Coast Adventure ride is looking good for April 26 next year as well. Might see you around sometime.

NZGSer I don't think I have met you, I did belong to the BMWOR for a few years but they did not do anything that appealed to me. I think I have read your exploits on other sites. My bike spends more time resting on its stand than it should. Last time I rode it was a month ago, shame on me. And I have every excuse at my call for not riding it. Mind you I seem to have an excuse for not doing most things:rolleyes:
Yes looks like I am the classic armchair rider.:augie
Excellent news about the Capital Coast ride. I hope to attend this one. But I have been saying that for the last 7 years!!!! (refer to above):thumb

Ok muzmvc I am in Eastbourne but back 1/2 way around the world on the other side of the harbour to Wellington, New Zealand.
Dont suppose there is anyone in the Forum living in or near Hebron?

I grew up in Wellington (Karori)....now living in GLasgow.
Feck, where did I go wrong :blast

Back
Top Bottom