John's heading home

ExploringRTW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well after pretty much two years on the road, one broken leg, and enough experiences and stories to become a modern day ’Uncle Albert’ I’ve decided to call time on the trip.

Yep I’m heading back to Blighty and to work. Not particularly excited about working again but for me I have become completely travel weary.

It’s a difficult thing to explain but travelling started to become too much like work. It is not a big holiday and requires a lot of work and planning. Once in the pattern it was great for a long time but like work it has become too repetitive for me.
Recently all the places started to look like places I have already seen, or so close there is no WOW factor anymore.
I’m getting short tempered and frustrated when things don’t work or people do what they say they will. I’ve now been to many places where money or education aren’t the be all and end all and I’ve seen so many poor places run well with honest people that I get frustrated when others aren‘t trying and are just after your buck.
I’ve seen so many hotel rooms from almost palatial, to rooms where many prisoners around the world would riot living in such conditions. I feel it is time for me to have one base.
We have made some great friends on the way but we have had to up sticks move and it has become frustrating for me to keep leaving friends after such a short periods
My personal life, in a way, has almost been on hold as the way we have chosen to travel we rarely meet people for more than a few hours or days and I am missing more meaningful conversations and relationships than just the initial introductions and travel stories.

So rather than push on to what we had originally planned, I have decided to stop now and see the countries I haven’t seen, some time in the future and enjoy them rather than ’do’ them.
I’m still 42 years young :D , and given a Japanese guy has just climbed Everest at the age of 71 I’ve got plenty of years travelling left in me:rob

I have no regrets starting the trip, travelling so long, or stopping. It has been a great adventure and would strongly recommend anyone thinking about it to do it.
No one is out to get you like the news and governments seem to portray. Yes, you still have to use your head but no more than in any major city in the world . The world really is waiting for you to turn up.

So Kathmandu is my last point on this adventure before I travel back to Delhi to fly my bike and myself home for the end of June

So thanks for the support in reading the story of one of two blokes from Welling and if you buy me a beer I'll happlily tell you ...'When I was in.....

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for sharing your last two years with us all, it really has been an enjoyment to read about your adventures with Mike.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I entirely agree with what Paul says, and many thanks for spending the time putting together the excellent reports.

Chris

Bloody hell - travelling for 2 years. :eek

If you're going to the Hogroast, I'll willing buy you a pint just to hear some of you "Uncle Albert" stories. :D

Hi John:
This is Jubal and Lisy from the Machu Pichu Tour. We've been lurking on and off on your site. We will miss your posts. They've kept us day dreaming about planning our own trip. Thanks.

Hi John

I've popped in and out of you and Mike's adventure from time to time and enjoyed reading of your time on the road.

Thank's for sharing them with us.

:beerjug:
Schultz

from the other John

Hey, John. This is the other John, Taylor, in Honduras. I trust you will find all that you are wanting there back at home. I lift a glass to you :beer: in your feat of travelling as you did. I am so glad that your trail led through our area of Honduras. Your broken leg was a lucky break :aidan for Iain, Liz, and those of us who through it got to know you and John.
Here's to you, John :beerjug:
:clap:clap:clap

I have also enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate your thoughts at the close of your journey. Best wishes and good memories for your.
Marianne from the Serengeti balloon ride. (USA)

Back
Top Bottom