Warning Spanish Stop Signs

Police Penalty Enforcement

Failing to stop (and clearly demonstrate this) at a STOP sign on a m/c Test or advanced (IAM) observed test will result in a fail. In an attempt to enforce this throughout the EC and beyond 'enthusiastic' police can enforce fines as they see fit - bit of a lottery but we are all unluckly from time to time - waiting for my turn!!

Cheers

I think that most would agree, a lot of this type of police enforcement is based on boosting police / court coffers and possible performance targets, rather than ticking off :rob and warning riders/drivers of the dangers / safety issues resulting from so called 'misdemeanours'.

Surely the 'softer' :rolleyes: non fine approach to this type of penalty would build more respect, :bow trust and cooperation from road users towards the police and the laws of the road :confused: ?

Interesting - I came across a stop junction in Ireland a few days ago, couldn't see the point of it as there was a clear view for miles - nevertheless, I couldn't help but make sure my wheels stopped turning completely before carrying on - I could hear my driving instructor warning me that the wheels had to come to a complete stop whenever I saw that sign. In the old days (whenever they were) in the UK you had to put your handbrake on in a car to demonstrate that you'd observed the sign when doing your test.

EEK!:eek:
i know two Instructors here that have been rear ended while doing exactly that.
on both occasions the offending driver commented something along the lines of "WTF did you do THAT for?!":confused: (i.e; Stop!)

there are times that it seems you cant do right for doing wrong:nenau
personally i'll try to do my best based on Observation - but at Stop signs;
probably as much to the rear as to the front!

And in France

a friend was fined for not stopping at a 'Stop' sign.
The irony, is that when the police approached him, he had the rapid presence of mind to ask them how they knew that he didn't come to a complete stop since it was on an approach road with totally clear view and he did not see them.
"we did not see you either" said the police ...:nenau
"but we heard the sound of your engine decelerating as you approached the stop sign and then we heard you accelerating away again so we knew you did not stop" :eek: for goodness sake.......150 Euros please ...DOINK! :mmmm

I failed quite a few punters on their basic test, in Plymouth,in the early eighties for not stopping at STOP;)

Yeh, its a fair comment.

But that's the problem, in the UK we're not used to actually stopping at stop signs, or the police enforcing such misdemeanours :rob . Yet the irony is that on some of the junctions in spain, you can clearly see for miles each way & nothing's on the road, so you stop and put your foot down for what, just to avoid getting a ticket :spitfire ?

"No! You do it to comply with the laws and bylaws of the country within which you are a guest and as a representative of your own nation!"

Plus Fer feck sake putting yer foot down for a second is it really going to hurt? @ 105 euros it was a hard lesson to learn !

LONDON LAWYER V GLASGOW COP

( miss-match ) A London lawyer fails to stop at a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper.

He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Jock cop. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense!!

Glasgow cop says, ' Licence and registration, please.'

London Lawyer says, 'What for?'

Glasgow cop says, 'Ye didnae come to a complete stop at the stop sign.'

London Lawyer says, 'I slowed down, and no one was coming.'

Glasgow cop says, 'Ye still didnae come to a complete stop. Licence and registration, please.'

London Lawyer says, 'What's the difference?'

Glasgow cop says, 'The difference is, ye huvte come to complete stop, that's the law. Licence and registration, please!'

London Lawyer says, 'If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my licence and registration; and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket.'

Glasgow cop says, 'Sounds fair. gerut your vehicle, sir.'

The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.

The Glasgow cop takes out his baton and starts beating the crap out of the lawyer and says,

'Dae ye want me to stop, or just slow doon

Our long standing Host at La Traversiere, David Chambers was given a ticket and Fined last year at the D94 / D576 Junction south west of Nyons. The surrounding area is "Vineyard Flat" with un-obscured visability for a mile all round. But the sign says "Stop". Pay up or go to Court !!

I got the same treatment from the Spanish police in the middle of nowhere coming down a slip road joining a dual carraigeway, nothing to be seen anywhere until the b+stard popped out from behind a hedge. No warning, no nicety just pay the cash.

They have had all our contributions to the EU and now its all going to the eastern bloc they have to fill their coffers somehow. JUST BE CAREFULL !!

a mate and his brother got 90 euro fines last week around Perpignan on the med.
for not putting there feet down.:eek :tears
they would except nothing but cash.:(

What is it about "STOP" that is so difficult to comprehend?

You'll be crossing solid white lines to turn into a petrol station next..:blast

How many of you actually check the rules of the road for the countries you ride through?

:nenau

Regarding Stop signs in the UK:

Putting my ADI head on, the only thing that has changed recently in the UK is that you are no longer required to apply the handbrake every time - unless you are at a complete stop for more than a few seconds.

If you don't come to a complete halt on your test = Serious fault = Fail.

Chris Kelly I thought I was knowledgable and sensible as well, but I still got fined from a moments lapse of concentration. It happens to the best of you !! BE AWARE

Talking to a chap who was in the Pyrenees last week. The group of 6 approached a wide open T junction, slowed, looked both ways but didn't come to a standstill. As they pulled away from the junction a policeman stepped out and it was e100 each.

luckily there were no policeman waiting at the hundreds of Stop signs i went through in france, austria, germany and italy last week.

i'd be broke :D

What is it about "STOP" that is so difficult to comprehend?

You'll be crossing solid white lines to turn into a petrol station next..:blast

How many of you actually check the rules of the road for the countries you ride through?

:nenau

Yes, all right.. I know who you're talking about :augie

The only mistake I made was not seeing 2 motorcycle police sitting further up the road :blast

I'll not do it again :rob

Back
Top Bottom