Romania with no green card?

nope - the green card is the document that proves you have third party - minimum legal requirement in the counties you visit. and the nice border gaurds will ask for it when you enter romania or serbia

If Romania or Serbia are not a listed place in the Insurance policy doc then you are 100% correct.

But for the rest of Europe - every insurance policy document I've had for the last 26 years gave minimum third party only cover when abroad (to listed places) with green card required to upgrade it to the same cover as you have in the UK. :beerjug:

green card

Will cost you €80 at border check point if you do not have one.

serbiatocroatiawh7.jpg

Shot with FinePix F601 ZOOM at 23/09/2007 at 11:55

Hi ... I dont want to get arguemenatative...

But there is so much confusion here and at insurance brokers about what a green card is.... especially with the muppets at Carol Nash. Since 2002 my life has revolved around the bloody things as I cant get home now without one!

A green card is:

http://www.mib.org.uk/GreenCard/en/FAQ/WhatIsTheGreenCardSystem.htm
The Green Card System is a United Nations system overseen by the Economic Commission for Europe based in Geneva. The purpose of the system is to facilitate the free movement of vehicles over borders and to protect the interests of the victims of foreign registered vehicles.

The Green Card is a document which is recognized in over 40 countries including all the countries of Europe with the exception of Russia. However a Green Card cannot be obtained for Iraq as this country is no longer a member of the Green Card System. The Green Card offers no insurance cover but is proof that the minimum legal requirements for third party liability insurance in any country for which the Green Card is valid are covered by the insured's own motor policy.

It has nothing to do with extension of your comp/TPFT insurance - purely about proof you have the basic minimum third party cover for the countries you are travelling in.

And it is actually a double sided green piece of paper... not the back of your certificate of insurance!!

Many insurance clerks do not know this ...though quite a few at Carol Nash are learning! My car insurer (NFU) gives me one for a six month period.... Royal Sun Alliance did the same for the bike... but under the new Gropeamor policy ... I have to get it for each period of travel! So a regular CN saga....

Romania is covered by all policies as part of the EU - but you still need the Green card for border and policeman!

Just sorted them out today for bike.... Was told by muppet (he got upgarded today to reasonable chappy!) last night that dont do green cards... pointed out to him they do...as I have my old one in front of me....did he want me to fax it to him!

Told him Romania, Ukraine and Serbia were needed.... told that NONE of their insurers will cover Serbia... no way...

Pointed out that They do! And told UA was a no no too... again told him that they do! So off he went to pass it to 'THE UNDERWRITER!'.

No answer by this afternoon ... so rang again... the rep I got this time understood my dilemma .. was going through the motions of countries and dates when other phone rang....

Muppet - now nice chappy ringing to say he had my green cards and wanted my fax number! Ridiculous thing is he could have given me 1 card for whole period... but instead I get 5 ... for each leg of the journey and each country!

But yes - you do need green card and yes CN do them for Romania!

Just wanted to clear this up.... as a steady stream of tossers in Romania might resolve the teabag famine... and if anyone has fitted a cold box to the bike... some dry cure bacon would be nice!!

Ahhh well have to make do with Ukrainian vodka this weekend... wonder if the crew from Moscow are around....??!!!

Gavin

Gavin Bell is right I won't publish my green card cos it's just a copy of the Insurance document printed on green paper:augie

whatever you buy at the border won't count for zipall when you do have a smack up, also most of the chaps who want to se the document can't read it anyway....:augie

make sure it's got a few creases and stamps in vital places:thumb2

A green card is:

http://www.mib.org.uk/GreenCard/en/FAQ/WhatIsTheGreenCardSystem.htm

The Green Card System is a United Nations system overseen by the Economic Commission for Europe based in Geneva. The purpose of the system is to facilitate the free movement of vehicles over borders and to protect the interests of the victims of foreign registered vehicles.

The Green Card is a document which is recognized in over 40 countries including all the countries of Europe with the exception of Russia.

However a Green Card cannot be obtained for Iraq as this country is no longer a member of the Green Card System.

The Green Card offers no insurance cover but is proof that the minimum legal requirements for third party liability insurance in any country for which the Green Card is valid are covered by the insured's own motor policy.

It has nothing to do with extension of your comp/TPFT insurance - purely about proof you have the basic minimum third party cover for the countries you are travelling in.

And it is actually a double sided green piece of paper... not the back of your certificate of insurance!!

Romania is covered by all policies as part of the EU - but you still need the Green card for border and policeman!

Just sorted them out today for bike.... Was told by muppet (he got upgarded today to reasonable chappy!) last night that dont do green cards... pointed out to him they do...as I have my old one in front of me....did he want me to fax it to him!

Told him Romania, Ukraine and Serbia were needed.... told that NONE of their insurers will cover Serbia... no way...

Pointed out that They do! And told UA was a no no too... again told him that they do! So off he went to pass it to 'THE UNDERWRITER!'.

But yes - you do need green card and yes CN do them for Romania!

Gavin

The Green Card offers no insurance cover but is proof that the minimum legal requirements for third party liability insurance in any country for which the Green Card is valid* are covered by the insured's own motor policy.

IN ONE! *as listed on the document, you might add.

Good post, killing many of the common misconceptions stone dead. :thumb2

9.9 out of 10. :D

The guts of all the above is, without a doubt, correct.

However, just a couple of small words of caution:

(a) No insurer is obliged to grant any of their customers cover at all.

Just because they grant cover to one person, for countries X, Y and Z it should not be taken as a definite that they will do it for someone else. It's a big leap of faith when, having ploughed your way into a bus load of American lawyers, queing quietly in Bucharest, to say, "Well my mate's did and he said it was, OK". There is a very sad thread on this site about a bloke who did not have the right insurance.....

If you are unsure, always check yourself and get the confirmation in writing. Nine out of 10 times, it only takes a few minutes.

Remember, when you call you are probably speaking to someone in a call-center, who may only be doing the job part-time, or literaly does not care. Last week they worked in Tesco, stacking beans in the loo paper aisle; that is why they no longer work there. Be patient with them. If you are not happy, speak to their superior and so on up the tree of monkeys*.

(b) Not all companies are able to accept risks outside of the EU. Some even struggle inside mainland Europe, with Switzerland for a while, for example.

For instance, Ebike (who advertise on this site and seem quite popular) cannot and do not. For example, Ebike will NOT cover Turkey, whilst NIG (who underwrite the BuMW scheme, via Devitt) will.

(c) You do NOT need the 'green card' if the country you are visiting IS listed on the rear of your certificate of insurance.

However, it is sometimes easier to have the 'green card', in addition, simply as border checkpoint police (and others) recognise it. This would certainly be true in some of the more exotic countries, even within the EU. For instance, I never bother with France, Spain or Italy - where I have been stopped and asked to produce my insurance papers, without any problems** - but will for Romania.

(d) The listing on the back is only as up to date as the date it was printed.

As a general rule of thumb, most mainline UK motor insurers (Sun Alliance, NIG, Equity Red Star etc.) often automatically cover the UK and the EU countries, listing them, along with others (for instance, Norway and Switzerland) on the back of your bog standard, everyday, Certificate of Motor Insurance. That's the bit of paper you trolly down to the cop shop with, on a 'producer'.

However, post EU expansion, the list may not be up to date - mine for instance is not. So, whilst the country is now in the EU, it may not be listed. It is therefore wise to simply ask for the 'green card' to include the missing country.

(e) Some insurers will charge for 'green cards' some will not. Again, there is no hard and fast rule. Either way, it's only a few quid.

(f) Ring up in good time. You may think you are the only person calling, for a 'green card' to be issued tomorrow, as you are on the 05:45 ferry. Oddly enough, you are not.....the machine can only churn them out so fast....and you have just missed the second post.....

======

* A little tip.

If you are in anyway unsure or are unhappy, you can always talk to your motor insurer direct, not through a monkey call centre.

Find the number by scouring the insurer's website. They are often hidden away. It's a racing certainty that, if it is not listed on the site, it will be in the company's report and accounts, often on a PDF document under the Press or Public Information tabs. For instance, NIG's number is 020 7656 6000.

Call it and ask to be put through to the Motor Insurance department. Sometimes they will put you straight through. Sometimes the switchboard will try to palm you off with the call centre again. Don't be defeated.

If the latter, you have to think smart. Call again and ask to be put through to the HR department, or something similar. More often than not, the company's switchboard operator will pump you straight through. When somebody answers, say "Oh crikey, who are you? I wanted the Motor Department" - chances are the obliging HR wallah will put you straight through.

When you are connected, be polite. Don't forget the bod you will be talking to has no idea who you are, what you want or much else about your gripping problem. However, it's more than likely they will help you.

Be ready with all your papers and question to hand. It's silly to sneak in under the wire, then "Um" and "Ah", whilst you cannot find your policy number (it will be on your Certificate of Motor Insurance), forget the bike's registration number (it's on the same piece of paper) or can't remember your own name (call your mum) or why you called (it wasn't about your electricity bill) ! Believe me, it happens.

Get the person's name and direct dial number, if possible. Chances are, you will need it again.

If they ask you how you came to get through, simply tell them the switchboard put you through. :augie

+++++++++

** It is always very possible that the policeman cannot read what you give him, correct (or incorrect) as it may be. For sure, the French policeman could not read my certificate, why should he? How many UK plod could read an Italian cover note, issued by Generali, in Italian?

You dont nead any green Card any more for any Country in Europe:rob
You just have to late your Insurants Company know that you go for a ride in Europe and thats all:rob
Green Card are thinks from the past now:thumb

try telling that to the johnies with the guns at the border...

edited the guns don't bother me it's if they got rubber gloves on I get frightened:eek:

try telling that to the johnies with the guns at the border...

At the Border he wants only you Passport with 20 euro in it :D
No way Insurance documents:thumb
You must to adapt the local costume:augie

At the Border he wants only you Passport with 20 euro in it :D
No way Insurance documents:thumb
You must to adapt the local costume:augie

russian border half a packet a snouts with $10 tucked in... anyone asked I could always say it was in there to remind me to buy a lighter:augie

say sorry and take it back....

russian border half a packet a snouts with $10 tucked in... anyone asked I could always say it was in there to remind me to buy a lighter:augie

say sorry and take it back....

You must say
Look look properly in it not all the pages are pink and give him a nice smile:aidan

You dont nead any green Card any more for any Country in Europe:rob
You just have to late your Insurants Company know that you go for a ride in Europe and thats all:rob
Green Card are thinks from the past now:thumb

Borrox....as they say.

Try telling that to the nice man a Ebike...for instance.

Is Albania in Europe?

Is Bosnia in Europe?

Plenty of people think they are....and plenty of insurers do not cover them.

Borrox....as they say.

Is Albania in Europe?

Is Bosnia in Europe?

No no one is in Europe are in Asia:augie
You just have to tell you Insurance
You Insurances wants to milk more money from you:nenau
In my Insurances policy it says All Eu Country's inc Albania Croatia Turkey .:thumb

since when did they move these countires across the bosphorours? sorry about that spelling but it's the bit of water near istanbule.:augie

I was told the same about Serbia and, despite getting a green card for all the other 'eastern bloc' countries could not get one for Serbia.

I ended up being somewhat creative with my green card in order to get myself across the border :augie

Do you know who WILL insure bikes for Serbia Gavin?

Andres

I was told the same about Serbia and, despite getting a green card for all the other 'eastern bloc' countries could not get one for Serbia.

I ended up being somewhat creative with my green card in order to get myself across the border :augie

Do you know who WILL insure bikes for Serbia Gavin?

Andres

Please, Miss. Please, Miss...Me, me....I do, Miss....

Serbia and Montenegro (SCG) BuMW Insurance, via NIG / Devitt. I have the 'green card' in my hand.

From a quick look at the 'green card' it looks like that it might be possible to extend it to include Ukraine (UA) Moldova (MD) and Belarus (BA) to name but three - not sure as I didn't ask. A quick call to NIG would tell you for sure.

Borrox....as they say.

Is Albania in Europe?

Is Bosnia in Europe?

No no one is in Europe are in Asia:augie
You just have to tell you Insurance
You Insurances wants to milk more money from you:nenau
In my Insurances policy it says All Eu Country's inc Albania Croatia Turkey .:thumb

Ok. Which one of those two countries is in Asia? Is it A or B? Albania or Bosnia? Sorry, it's a while since I did geography.

You have a policy from one specific insurer. Which one is it? Just out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom