Romania with no green card?

Craig David

Will they turn you away at the border with no green card?

Is it possible to buy some sort of insurance on the border instead?

Cheers!

What kind of Green Card ? The International insurance policy ? You might be able to get in without it but in case something wrong happens ... you will regret this big time. I live in Romania , and in order to travel outside romanian borders, I go to my insurance company and get the Green Card for free. It is included in my mandatory insurance policy (named RCA ... I don't know how to translate it in english, but it's a mandatory insurance for all things that move on wheels :p). Of course, I could get out easily without one too , but what happens if I have the smallest accident , the first thing that the police would ask for is the Green Card ...

Dan, RO.

Thanks again Dan
I have my green card (it's a doccument that extends our regular bike insurance to cover overseas countries, as you say).

My mate who is coming on the trip too was very late asking his insurance to issue the green card.
It may yet turn up in time.....

Romania

When or if they join the EU will this be necessary?, or have they already joined?.
dave gs./

Thanks again Dan
I have my green card (it's a doccument that extends our regular bike insurance to cover overseas countries, as you say).

My mate who is coming on the trip too was very late asking his insurance to issue the green card.
It may yet turn up in time.....

usually printed on the back of your certificate. i'd have thought it quite likely not to cover romania though? insurance companies know a thing or two about vampires :D

When or if they join the EU will this be necessary?, or have they already joined?.
dave gs./

They have already joined.

Although my Carole Nash insurance certificate states it provides cover in all EU countries, a phone call to Carole Nash revealed they haven't updated this wording since Romania joined the EU. They told me I'd need an additional green card for my cover to be valid in Romania.

They charged me for a green card. I tried to get them to issue it for free (a policy certificate is a legaly binding doccument) but came against a wall of "you have to speak to the manager, the manager's not here" and phoning back and recorded messages, press one for blah,.. etc etc... So I just paid up.

You almost certainly won't be covered, he needs to check with his insurance.

You should be able to get it at the border, though it won't be worth more than the paper it's written on

Andres

davegs: Romania has joined EU since Jan 1, 2008. But that doesn't matter. We still need those green cards and so the foreign visitors. It doesn't have anything to do with EU membership.

cookie: Why it shouldn't cover Romania ? it isn't really a dangerous place at all. my insurance company, and also other local companies around, do not include in my policy coverage in Albania, Ukraine, Macedonia and a few others... but they offer me full insurance everywhere else in Eu. like Craig said upper, yes , we need an extra green card insurance policy to be covered in those states mentioned like you need for Romania unfortunately.

By the way, check on the back of your green card, we have a list of countries printed there and the ones that aren't covered are strike-through... or how its spelled.

You can always get a temporarily insurance here don't worry. I'm not sure how much it would be. if you want I can give you a couple of phone numbers from some nationwide insurance companies and maybe they can offer you a quote during your stay (I think the minimum is 2 weeks)

Oh , and while you travel Romania , you might want to avoid OMV stations , get food, drink and other stuff from them except gas or diesel, it's poor. also valid for PetromV (former known as PETROM), they were bought by OMV too.

My advice is to get fuel from MOL Romania (www.molromania.ro) they have 114 stations in RO. get a list from this url: http://www.molromania.ro/ro/servicii/statii/ , hit "CAUTARE" directly without selecting any other options to get the full list.

Rompetrol is also good. http://www.rompetrol.ro/online/index...=1&page_id=711 for the "Localitatea" column means City and "Judetul" column means ... county. They also have a map I see http://www.rompetrol.ro/online/index...=1&page_id=713

I also have a BMW (525dA) car and I put fuel only from these stations. Didn't had any issues ever.

davegs: Romania has joined EU since Jan 1, 2008. But that doesn't matter. We still need those green cards and so the foreign visitors. It doesn't have anything to do with EU membership.

cookie: Why it shouldn't cover Romania ? it isn't really a dangerous place at all. my insurance company, and also other local companies around, do not include in my policy coverage in Albania, Ukraine, Macedonia and a few others... but they offer me full insurance everywhere else in Eu. like Craig said upper, yes , we need an extra green card insurance policy to be covered in those states mentioned like you need for Romania unfortunately.

er yes. i forgot romania has joined the EU :eek:

my certificate states all members of EU covered + swizzleand, norway, croatia & iceland. my policy summary says i am comp in all those places.

there is a note somewhere asking for notification of foreign travel, but it doesn't seem compulsory, i've certainly never done it since the old days of green cards.

you don't need a green card for the EU.

Most probably those were printed before Jan 1. We didn't know for sure if we would adhere EU in Jan , maybe that's why. But if it states all EU , then its valid.

just been on the phone to carole nash on another matter, but i raised the point about notification of travel abroad.

all a bit vague really. it seems it is so they can verify you haven't overstayed your 90 days per trip limit.
i told him i've never told them in the past, and was i still covered? yes was the answer.
what benefit it is to me to tell them where i am going is still a bit of a mystery :eek

How could they verify that ?

virtually impossible i would have thought, unless immigration authorities shared info with them.

a ferry ticket's not exactly proof of anything is it?

I don't know why they have the 90 days limit. Even we don't have that... anyway I'm sure they can't/won't verify that

Offtopic: I couldn't find any area where I could post a suggestion. Is there any way to create an area for "Tralvelers seeking travel buddies ?" or it is already here and I didn't noticed that. That would be great

I don't know why they have the 90 days limit. Even we don't have that... anyway I'm sure they can't/won't verify that

so you don't go and live and drive abroad on their insurance like the guy in the other thread who's off to spain for 6 months.

I don't know. It's a stupid rule IMO. What happens if I stay abroad for 89 days , go back to UK for a day and return ? A similar rule was in RO before 1 Jan 2007 when you had a car registered in any other country, you could stay well for 89 days but you had to go outside to Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, YU or Moldova for a couple of hours , they you could return to RO and sit here for another 90 days. I wonder how long it will take for the romanian insurance companies to take action and limit us too.

What kind of Green Card ? The International insurance policy ? You might be able to get in without it but in case something wrong happens ... you will regret this big time. I live in Romania , and in order to travel outside romanian borders, I go to my insurance company and get the Green Card for free. It is included in my mandatory insurance policy (named RCA ... I don't know how to translate it in english, but it's a mandatory insurance for all things that move on wheels :p). Of course, I could get out easily without one too , but what happens if I have the smallest accident , the first thing that the police would ask for is the Green Card ...

Dan, RO.

Salut Dan
Am auzit ca de la 1 August nu iti mai trebuie green card,este corect?

green card

They have already joined.

Although my Carole Nash insurance certificate states it provides cover in all EU countries, a phone call to Carole Nash revealed they haven't updated this wording since Romania joined the EU. They told me I'd need an additional green card for my cover to be valid in Romania.

They charged me for a green card. I tried to get them to issue it for free (a policy certificate is a legaly binding doccument) but came against a wall of "you have to speak to the manager, the manager's not here" and phoning back and recorded messages, press one for blah,.. etc etc... So I just paid up.

i got green card free from carol nash strange you had to pay

you still have third party insurance abroad, the green card just ups it to what you have in uk ie fully comp or third plus theft.

good luck:aidan

Back
Top Bottom