A bit of advice please

Johnny Dangerously

Reaction score
sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm looking for a rough guide to how much it would cost to get an autocom system fitted to my GS.

I'm looking for just really rider to pillion with VOX activation, so I'm thinking thats the Active +? The prices seem ok on the autocom website, but I guess my real question is how much does it cost to get it professionaly fitted to a high standard?

Also, it is possible to get it fitted into helmets properly? And how hard is it to fit it into new helmets if we change them in the next year or so? At the moment, me and the wife have Arai SV's.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. If anyone can recommend a dealer to fit it woud be a great help.

Johnny,

If you come to us direct you are looking at £199.99 for the Kit 200 Duo and £47 for the fitting which covers an hours labour.

Rich @ Autocom

hmmm, thats not too bad at all as it goes, I was expecting a lot more than that really. Am I right in thinking you work for Autocom Rich?

Where are you based if you don't mind me asking? Does the system fit under the seat on the GS? (high seat position), and is it a fairly tidy fit, or is much chopping or drilling required? Are you able to fit the headsets into the lids as well?

From what I can see on here people seem to be really pleased with your work, so I think a trip to visit you will be well worth it.

A lot of helmets designed for touring now have recess's for speaker's so fitting is a doddle. Took me about 10 minutes to do my BM s5 and the same for my tour x. All that was required was to pull the cheek pads out to locate the speakers and te mike and the neck skirt to hide the loom :thumb2

hmmm, thats not too bad at all as it goes, I was expecting a lot more than that really. Am I right in thinking you work for Autocom Rich?

Where are you based if you don't mind me asking? Does the system fit under the seat on the GS? (high seat position), and is it a fairly tidy fit, or is much chopping or drilling required? Are you able to fit the headsets into the lids as well?

From what I can see on here people seem to be really pleased with your work, so I think a trip to visit you will be well worth it.

Yeh I work for Autocom, we are based in the midlands in Warwick which is around 10 ish miles from Coventry.

The comms will fit under your seat no problems at all as either of the GS's are common bikes with us. For the fitting we supply a complete ride in ride our service so we would fit your bike, helmets and run you thruogh the system before you leave.

Rich

just as a follow up to this (think I am about to get the wife's approval:)). Does anyone know if the headsets will fit into the Arai SVs? at least a comfortable fit? They have no removable cheek pads from what I can see, so not sure if its worth budgeting for a new lid for us both, but to be honest its an expense I could do without.

Our headsets can be fitted into the Arai's no problems, the cheek pads will come out so the only parts you will be able to see will be the mics and wiring looms. the speakers will be tucked away behind the cheek pad lining.

So yeh no new lids will be needed unless yours are coming upto 3-4 years old

Rich

I live in London, do not work for Autocom and would recommend an installation at the factory. The big advantage is that you know everything is working before you leave - you can even ride it round the block and have it readjusted if necesssary. Lots of tea and bike magazines to read in comfort while you wait.

Massive thumbs up for the guys at Autocom:thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb
Recently had the privilege of taking my bike there and Richs` brother worked like a trojan to sort my bike out with a rather full on application. The labour rate is considerably less than your local B*W dealer and their expertise is known worldwide.
Just do it.
(Make sure that you ring before you go to see them and that your appointment is confirmed).

Eyup Mr Dangerously.....

If you can stretch to it, I'd thoroughly recommend getting custom made monitors for you both.......the helmet speakers are ok-ish but can be a real PITA to hear at motorway speeds.....Green Leopard or Ultimate ear monitors are infinitely better and give you top quality sound at ANY speed :thumb

Give Fil Schianini a PM for a good price and service (he's a Green Leopard man):thumb2

I agree completely with Fanum about the in-ear monitors, but the £100 or so that they may cost might be a negative at this stage in your intercom career. What you could do at this stage is to spring for a part 1187 in-ear-monitor-compatible cable instead of the standard cable.
Good luck with your choice!

cheers for the advice guys, really appreciated. I think at the moment we are toying with either sat nav or autocom for a trip to France. I'm thinking autocom, the wife is thinking sat nav. If we go for the autocom though, its definately a trip up the m1 to autocom to fit it though

Do not be lead into thinking in-ears are needed, on a well setup helmet there will be more than enough volume coming from our standard speakers for motorway speeds. Wearing foam or even custom molded plugs with no speakers

Rich

Do not be lead into thinking in-ears are needed, on a well setup helmet there will be more than enough volume coming from our standard speakers for motorway speeds. Wearing foam or even custom molded plugs with no speakers

Rich

Now this I find difficult to swallow.

Based on my own experience, once I put my Custom Ear Protection moulded ear plugs in, I could barely hear my MP3 player or the radio unless I had the volume turned way up the scale.

Without plugs, the sound was OK-ish, but wind noise was troublesome.

Using in-ear monitors has been a blessing. I can hear the radio, music, and Gertie Garmin very well.

Yeh I work for Autocom, we are based in the midlands in Warwick which is around 10 ish miles from Coventry.

The comms will fit under your seat no problems at all as either of the GS's are common bikes with us. For the fitting we supply a complete ride in ride our service so we would fit your bike, helmets and run you thruogh the system before you leave.

Rich

Hi Rich, you may just the man to answer my questions then, if you can. I have a Nolan 102 N-Com (blue-tooth enabled) helmet, currently only operating with my mobile phone. I have however 3 x leads coming from my helmet, 1 x bluetooth charger, 1 x 2.5mm jack and 1 x 3.5mm jack for ancillaries. When I purchased the helmet I was told that it "should" be compatible with the autocom system, so therefore I would be very grateful if you could answer a couple of questions:-

1. Have you or do you know of the autocom system being fitted through or to the Nolan N-Com helmet?

2. Which Autocom system, would you recommend for it? I am considering phone, MP3 player, Satnav and bike 2 bike comms.

3. I would also like the helmet to be recharged through the wired Autocom, if that's possible.

And finally, sorry to be a pain in the arse, but this site appears to have it's fair share of experts;-

4. Is there anywhere in Northern Ireland that does the ride in, ride out service that you explain.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!!:beer:

Droopy, we have done a lot of testing at Bruntingthorpe as its only just down the road for us so we have done many fast speeds testing out a lot of ear plugs.

Drifter,

1, We have fitted the Nolan helemts but not with the BT comms fitted....if anything ive removed a few due to customers not finding the comms the greatest.

2, Either our Active Plus or Super Pro AVi depending on your budget and if you are wanting the bike to bike side of the comms to be fully bike powered or battery powered.

3, No as you would be runnnig our headsets.

4, We have a full dealers list on our web site supplying all the information you will need.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom