KTM vs. Husaberg

Yup tried that as well and it does work, however it is gaining access that takes the time - seat, then rad shrouds (Assuming the bolts don't spin on the nasty captive nuts in the plastic guides) then tank, then hope you can get your hands in to the front rocker covers - I used to drop the rad vents off and move the rad forward but mostly because I was doing other work like replacing rad mounts and hell, do the plug at the same time with a ground down plug socket and long extension, then reverse procedure..........

The actual valve clearances are a 10 minute job it is just the rest that takes the time.

I used to be able to do valve clearances in 30 mins from start (ie complete bike) to finish (bike ready to race)
Snap-on used to sell individual feeler gauges as replacements for their full sets, bought the right one and bent it to the required shape.
Mark

KTM, I hear, are bringing out a new engine for the 4st enduro bikes in 2008 so that won't do much for the depreciation of 2007 models.

Husaberg's 550 is looking better all the time.

Kin 'ell, who dragged this thread out of the closet? Only six months old.:augie
On a valve related issue, I just did the adjustment on the Honda, what a PITA that is! Okay, so its only the second time I've done it in three years of ownership, but measuring up then having to order shims, then wait for the post (which didn't come, so had to ride over to sandifords to get them) then fit. From start to finish, one week :eek Actual time spent working on bike, approx three hours.
Anyhow, back to the archives, after a slight hijack!
Mark

I can only agree with you Mark but when I tell them that "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" the reaction I get is :barf
Still only read valves on mine:thumb

Had Ktm and a Huski lots of mates had Husoburgs and they all say Ktm next time erspacally the biger engines are beter from a 640 or 660 for SM you can get 35000 km aut of a motor has a ballance schaft and over 2l oil in the motor not licke huserberg 1L !

I thought I'd decided to go for the 525 KTM but the dealer won't take my Sherco 450 in px.. I now see that the Husaberg 450F-E Factory with lots of special bits including aluminium tank is about the same price.

I've not asked my local dealer if he'll take the Sherco for a decent price. Before I do I need convincing that the Husaberg isn't going to be an unreliable pain in the ar@e and that its not too extreme for a bike that will be mainly a trail bike with the odd enduro thrown in.

Any views appreciated

ive got a 450fe 06 bike.
find it very reliable.
starts first prod of the leccy button every time.
i'm still getting used to the instant surge of power:eek:
oil changes v simple not done the valves yet.
Tim can you clarify what you mean by turning back "one flat"?
cheers

not done the valves yet.
Tim can you clarify what you mean by turning back "one flat"?
cheers

back the adjusting screw off the equivalent of one flat of the locknut ie. 60 degrees, making sure it doesn't move when you nip the locknut up again.

Just to round this thread off, in the end I went for a 2008 530 exc KTM. I didn't get much joy at the Husaberg dealers who didn't seem to want to sell 2007/2008 bikes because the new engine is out in 2009.

I was determined to buy new as I've had a couple of bad experiences buying secondhand enduro bikes here in France (they're a bunch of bodgers). I wasn't too happy with the bike at first but now it is run in it's bloody brilliant. I changed the oil this afternoon (3rd oil change) and went out for a couple of hours, very icy in places but good fun anyway, especially broadsiding down the road on a patch of frozen mud towards a couple out walking - they had quick reactions and jumped in the ditch but they needn't have worried as I was in control!

Had to wait a while to get the proper bashplate (homemade one did the job in the meantime) but it is a real fiddle to get on and off, plus it makes the engine very noisy so I'll probably change it for the QD plastic one next time I go to the dealer. No experience of doing the valves yet - the dealer checked them at the 600km service and said they were fine.

Attachments

• 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 154

Back
Top Bottom