Romanian roads.

Kav

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A bit of advice for anyone planning a trip to Romania or Hungary.Don'texpect to get anywhere fast!.Roads are mainly single carriageway and rough and packed with trucks.
Beautiful scenery though!.

I think you are exaggerating a little :) I live in Romania , and we have plenty of good roads around, especially the E* ones. What route did you choose here ?

Came through Romania two years ago. Loved it.:) Like all countries you pays your money and takes your choice. Good roads, bad roads but loads of great GS riding :thumb :thumb

Not complaining,just stating fact.I rode from Szeged in Hungary through Arad,Deva and Sebes to Sibiu on the E68 and it was hard work.

I think you are exaggerating a little :) I live in Romania , and we have plenty of good roads around, especially the E* ones. What route did you choose here ?

The :monkeypizcheapest one
Yes we have a good road:thumb:hug:kissy2:beerjug:

Not complaining,just stating fact.I rode from Szeged in Hungary through Arad,Deva and Sebes to Sibiu on the E68 and it was hard work.
You should try the E68 from Sibiu to Brasov - 90 miles of heavily trafficked single carriageway and what seemed like 75% of that reduced to one lane through roadworks with temporary lights :eek: In 36-degree heat too :eek Having said that, this was certainly the worst example of a major route we travelled on in Romania - some others were smooth tarmac bliss.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip (was there 2nd/3rd week of August) and as long as you don't have western-europe expectations for A to B journey times then you shouldn't have a problem as long as you look out for the :loopy drivers and expect the unexpected around every turn and over every crest.

Highlight places to visit were the old citadel in Sighisoara and Peles Castle in Siniai. The wines in Arad were particularly good, too :beerjug:

Honda Blackbird v Romanian roads

Hi All,

I'm planning a two week trip through Europe in June hoping to spend five days in Romania riding from UK via Austria, Slovenia.

For this trip I am thinking about taking a Blackbird as I have a GS here in Aus and thought it would make a nice change to ride something completely different.

So the question is would riding a Blackbird in Romania be a silly move? Reading some of the stories on this post imply that I would regret it and should take something like a GS but are the main routes that bad? I've ridden through Poland before on a GS and the roads were a bit rough but nothing like some of the (sealed) roads you get in Australia.

I know I won't be able to ride offroad on the Blackbird but I'm hoping that it will not ruin a good trip.

Last thing - Where can I get a decent map of Romania showing sealed (unsealed roads?)

Regards
Gazzr

We travelled through Romania and Bulgaria 2 years ago on the way to greece on an r1100s,and found the Romanian roads quite good untill we got off the e roads.Bulgaria was a lot worse,mainly good then big squares dug up to repair right across one side of the road with no warning,but great scenery in both countries,and great people.

I did a tour in Romania a few years ago on a Pan European ST1300...a similar sort of bike to the Blackbird.

I must admit that it did cope brilliantly with the conditions, the roads, and the terrain, and I was impressed that it always coped with the ridiculous things I asked of it even when I thought it shouldn't have! :)

But given the choice between taking a GS or taking the Pan again....I would take the GS without doubt. Some of the roads, and the pot-holes which lurk unannounced really are hard on the tourers..they cope..but they are doing something that they are not designed for. This is GS country!

I also know that I would have been able to explorer the less major roads/routes on the GS more than I was able to on the Pan. Anything but the major routes are a lottery of condition and state, and I did have to admit defeat and turn around on the Pan a couple of times...on the GS I would have continued...and enjoyed doing so! :thumb

So I would advise on the GS :) .....and hope you have a great time in a brilliant country :beerjug:

Hi All,

I'm planning a two week trip through Europe in June hoping to spend five days in Romania riding from UK via Austria, Slovenia.

For this trip I am thinking about taking a Blackbird as I have a GS here in Aus and thought it would make a nice change to ride something completely different.

So the question is would riding a Blackbird in Romania be a silly move? Reading some of the stories on this post imply that I would regret it and should take something like a GS but are the main routes that bad? I've ridden through Poland before on a GS and the roads were a bit rough but nothing like some of the (sealed) roads you get in Australia.

I know I won't be able to ride offroad on the Blackbird but I'm hoping that it will not ruin a good trip.

Last thing - Where can I get a decent map of Romania showing sealed (unsealed roads?)

Regards
Gazzr

Hi I am of to Romania on 22 of August for my sister Wedding and if you want we can go together I speak the languish and I am 50% Romanian :D
The roads from Budapest is not to good but the mine problem is the drivers
I am from Constanta bay the Black See :thumb
Pm me if you are intrested:beerjug:

Hi Gazzr
You will be fine on the blackbird.... just choose roads with care. If you want to talk your route through pm me and we can have a chat via skype or messenger ( or if you let me have a landline I can ring you cheap).

Dont forget to include Brasov and Sighisaoara area in your itinery! You can buy me a beer!

As of early june I will be finally in Romania full time ish - escaping this ****ing country - well that whatthe hungarian prime minister refeered to it as!! Nem Turdok Magyr!!!

Sani.... Romanian wedding party..... ohhh dear ...will it be a full 3 dayer? or a more civilized 24hr?

Gavin

Romania/Bulgaria access to ATMs etc

Hi- 3 amigo,s and I are off to the Dracula rally-via Poland,Slovakia,Romania then bulgaria,Greece-ferry 2 Italy and home via Switzerland etc-We were wondering about access to ATMs for dosh in Romania(Turda) and Bulgaria(veliko Turnova)-any advice? also any experience advice on ferries ie we are not planning to book-just turn up.Greece>Brindisi Italy? Thanks:
Macbiker

Hi,
Turda - yep they have ATM's - same for Veliko Turnova - but it is always good to have euro's to exchange (or GBP)

When is Dracula Rally? do you have a link/info.... might have a ride up for the day. I am in Saschiz near Sighisoara.

Have fun! Gavin

Hi- 3 amigo,s and I are off to the Dracula rally-via Poland,Slovakia,Romania then bulgaria,Greece-ferry 2 Italy and home via Switzerland etc-We were wondering about access to ATMs for dosh in Romania(Turda) and Bulgaria(veliko Turnova)-any advice? also any experience advice on ferries ie we are not planning to book-just turn up.Greece>Brindisi Italy? Thanks:
Macbiker

plenty of atms in bulgaria:thumb

Back
Top Bottom