leaky GSA panniers

wet weather all week over a thousand miles no leaks at all dont know what you all moaning about!

panniers

Had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Seems to be caused by always opening and closing pannier on same lock / hinge. The right hand lid would not align and fit to the box properly. Like someone mentioned earlier, this problem was overcome by opening and closing both locks.

the only issue i have had with the BMW GSA cases was condensation when the temps dipped and i left drinking bottles (water) inside. I only use the rear locks to open and close - the front stays located/locked , and i always check that the lid seats correctly, the one leak i had was when the lid closed but had a handle wedged outside.

If you find that the locks dont pull down enough, try bending them back into shape - overcentre catched tend to deform over time.

Also, i never ever trust the outer layer of any luggage, but always seal stuff in dry bags/liners. There's nothing worse than wet keks in the morning - well.. maybe

The R1200GSA aluminium panniers and top box are marketed as being waterproof, and in my experience they are not. I have had both panniers changed once and am about to get my 3rd top box and am dreading that leaking.... They are just shite at keeping the water out.

I think the design is flawed. The sealing is derived from quite a hard compound (not very good at sealing) and compression. The seal is not at all substantial so very good alignment of the lid with the box is required which is difficult given the flex of the box. Plus there is minimal overlap of the lid over the box allowing capilliary action to play a big part in the problem. Sack of shite really...

IMHO, the Vario panniers have a much better approach to keeping the rain out as they had considerable overlap of lid to box, and from memory had a soft and substantial seal, and didnt rely so much on compression. I had no issue with those and wish I hadnt sold them now !

The design of the Touratech panniers dont seem much better either which is not surprising as I gather they are responsible for the BMW ones. However, Metal Mules look like they have a very good engineering approach but havent looked at those in detail.

Such a shame that mickey mouse design and complete lack of product testing is being associated with BMW...

i have jet washed my panniers on the bike and they dont leak as yet. perhaps you have been thrice unlucky

i have jet washed my panniers on the bike and they dont leak as yet. perhaps you have been thrice unlucky

i've done the same & they don't leak. i think they flex when on the move, especially when heavily loaded.

The R1200GSA aluminium panniers and top box are marketed as being waterproof,

but it would appear that they are waterproof, The problem seems to be that they are water proof from the inside to out, not outside to in.:blast

Sorry Cookie,and all the other damp kek owners, I could not resist:D

My 3 boxes had been watertight but the top box (15 months old now) started leaking from the bottom seam last week. No problem when being ridden only leaks when the bike is parked up in the rain for a while :confused:

Would have just applied some sealant but I am only round the corner from Pidcocks so took it back and they will replace it under warrenty no problem :thumb2

Once the bike is out of warrenty will get some clear sealant and do all the seams/rivets again as with the top box it appears to be a slow capiliery action that causes the problem not the seal with the lid.

update

when my bike was in for service recently, i brought the matter up with CWs.

they (2 parts blokes, service manager & dealership owner) tried to convince me that they were not designed to be waterproof as evidenced by the fact that bmw supply waterproof inners.

i pointed out that bmw had fitted seals, so they should not leak, they just didn't work.

when i went to pick up the bike, parts man dave :thumb2 had found them listed as waterproof in the catalogue, so a warranty claim is being raised. as there is no sign of anything actually failing, i fully expect any replacements to be just as crap as the originals.

we shall see.

just back from going up and down alpine passes, so can now comment on the vacuum sealing abilities of my panniers.

top box seals VERY well indeed after descending from altitude and needs a screwdriver to leaver the lid open, very inconvenient.

left pannier has had this happen, but is rare.

right pannier does it more often, but does not seal as hard as the top box.

not just altitude that does it either. left the bike in the warm evening outside our hotel, in the morning R/H pannier opened with a slight hiss and i found a little water inside. first rain in days was overnight and it was definitely dry the day before when i parked up, so i reckon the vacuum must have sucked the rain water in :eek

i think i'll be drilling a small hole in the top box at least, so i can open it without tools.

took this last week. shows the pannier distorted by the vacuum inside after coming down from altitude.

still leaks though :mad:

200246463-M.jpg

also noticed one of my otherwise wonderful bmw pannier bags has been assembled wrongly so the buckles don't match up. another warranty issue :rolleyes:

I had mine reshaped a bit like that by a car mirror on the M42 :)

Cas :)

took this last week. shows the pannier distorted by the vacuum inside after coming down from altitude.

still leaks though :mad:

Neither of my panniers leaked despite the torrential downpour on the way to Clermont and again when departing Portsmouth on Sunday night :D But the top box did :(
On inspection I noticed that the rubber gasket has become distorted where the base is riveted to the main body of the box-possibly due to the repeated deformation when descending from altitude:confused: Working on the basis that another new box would suffer the same fate eventually, I have sealed this joint inside with clear silicone-I'll let you know how it goes ;)

just make sure you dont catch the sttel cable strap in the seal while closing. This might be it. Mine and three other friends of mine have a problem opening them once back from high altitute to sea level. Thats how good the seals are. we were forced to drill a small hole in them to help equalize the pressure.

Me too

both my panniers leak, topbox watertight though. Took it into Piddocks of Nottingham to see what they could do and i was (mis)informed that they are not sold as waterproof. So there solution is going to be to replace the seals which are on back order, delivery date unknown. All agreed that actually the seals on mine look like new so not sure what this will achieve.

I'd be interested in a PM from anyone who has managed to get their boxes replaced under warranty as they basically told me I had no hope of getting them replaced and anyone who had done was quote 'lucky', great.

i was (mis)informed that they are not sold as waterproof.

i got that line too, then the parts bloke noticed it was in the brochure as waterproof. warranty issue raised, but bmw are just ignoring it.

Attachments

• waterproof pannier.jpg
    waterproof pannier.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 186
For what it is worth!

I use a tiny amount of silicon grease on the sliding seals on the 1200GS Vario panniers and they have never leaked nor seized; but I confess that I have not examined the Adventure tin boxes and perhaps there are no rubber/plastic seals,

Back
Top Bottom