03 r1150gs tuning

phil78

hi there guys finalley traded in my 650gs for a mint 12k 1150gs last week
i have already fitted bos chip , k&n filter , full arrow race exhaust system , goes like stink i am bidding on r1100s barrels and pistons for it (as these are actulley 1200cc from the cruiser) orderd hot cams already from wunderlich planning to get genuine 115 bhp at rear wheel with some gas flowing and skimming of the heads.
as working in the trade planning to make a bit of a special gs.
already have r1100s sport wheels with galfer brake disks to fit.
will take a few weeks to get finished will post pictures and dyno figures when done
thanks phill:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

Barrels

Will these fit? i think this came up before and they dident.
dave ga.

r1100s barrels

hi there
thanks for the reply , having rebulit a few of these engines and talking to collegues we cant see why these wont fit to my gs!
anyway i have now bought the barrells and cylinder heads will be trying on weekend as a test fit will let you know!
thanks phill:thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2

r1100s barrels

Hello Phil, Correct me if I`m wrong, and I very well may be but if you fit barrels from an 1100s to your GS arent you going to end up with an 1100 rather than an 1150?

The stroke of the 1100s and the GS is the same at 70.5mm but the GS has the bigger bore of 101.00mm as opposed to 99.00mm.

Surely this is why people such as San Jose BMW in the US offer kits to 1100 owners of the GS barrels to increase capacity? Along with higher comp pistons of course thus giving better performance.

The 1200 variant uses the same bore as the 1150 but the stroke is longer at 73.00mm to give increased capacity.

Sorry to go on but I`m curious,

Cheers
:beer: :beer: :beer:

DD

1100s barrels

hi dd
thanks for your info will have to check on that when i spoke to mr bmw on tuesday he assured me the 1100s barrells are actulley 1197cc of the cruiser model along with the 1100s cylinder heads with bigger valves i will see a incrase in power.
for a couple of hours work i will try and have it tested .
i have had my gs tested already as a benchmark.
thanks phill:thumb2 :thumb2

Hi Phil, I think if you fit the 1100 barrels and pistons of course you may well see an increase in performance but this will be down to higher compression ratio and bigger valves of the 1100s rather than the fitting of the barrels if you see what I mean.

Anyway good luck and keep us posted of the results.

Cheers DD :beer: :beer: :beer:

r1150gs tuning

hi there guys
the gs is taking a bit longer than expected due to work and the wife.
anyway progress so far is good, standard dyno run was 82bhp at the rear wheel.
so far i have fitted : arrow exhaust system,carbon intake tube, k n filter,
r1150rt airbox to throttlebodie tubes(bigger), power commander , and hot cams with sport lightend shim buckets................tested 98bhp at the wheel.

bike feels so smooth power delivery is amazing, straight line race with 12gs
last night with work college shows 1150 has edge.

r1100s wheels with galfer brake discs look great, all available carbon fibre parts on there way to me, also orderd r1100s bellypan i am hoping with boxercup paintjob it will be finished soon i dont want to post any pictures till it is completed cheers phill...... p.s advice on ohlins or white power choice! any experiance:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

....bike feels so smooth power delivery is amazing, straight line race with 12gs last night with work college shows 1150 has edge.

That list sounds similar to the mods I made to my bike, a year or so ago, except for the addition of the large intke snorkel & the cams.

I was at Llangollen for the UKGSer event this year & had a bit of a play with one of the 1200 riders & we came to the same conclusion, that my 1150 had significantly better acceleration but the 12 had the edge on top speed. I could gap him on the exit from roundabouts, but topped out at 125mph & he slowly crept past if the road was straight enough & long enough. Then I caught him up on the brakes & out of the next roundabout...

Personally, I like acceleration & braking/cornering for my fun. Top speed isn't that important to me, so chasing power isn't important if I lose the torque as a consequence...

Sounds like you're going to have an interesting GS there, though Phil
:thumb2

That list sounds similar to the mods I made to my bike, a year or so ago, except for the addition of the large intke snorkel & the cams.

I was at Llangollen for the UKGSer event this year & had a bit of a play with one of the 1200 riders & we came to the same conclusion, that my 1150 had significantly better acceleration but the 12 had the edge on top speed. I could gap him on the exit from roundabouts, but topped out at 125mph & he slowly crept past if the road was straight enough & long enough. Then I caught him up on the brakes & out of the next roundabout...

Personally, I like acceleration & braking/cornering for my fun. Top speed isn't that important to me, so chasing power isn't important if I lose the torque as a consequence...

Sounds like you're going to have an interesting GS there, though Phil
:thumb2

Well that's one version anyway :rolleyes: ;)

I’d have said that 115BHP is very optimistic but I’d be interested to hear how you get on. I’ve been thinking about BB power HC pistons and cams for some time but never got round to ordering. BB can be found here: www.bbpower.de

Look forward to reading more :thumb

Then I caught him up on the brakes & out of the next roundabout...

Well that's one version anyway :rolleyes: ;)

I didn't say that I passed you... just that I caught you up ;) (You still had the edge on top speed & that was the conclusion we came to...so, honours even? :thumb) It was fun though, wasn't it?

It's funny, though... I had a laugh of a ride from Ramsey to Douglas with a fellow Tosser (name unknown I'm afraid) on a 12, one morning at the TT & we had exactly the same conversation. He was a cracking rider & stayed with me, but couldn't get to the position where he could pass safely. The 1150 accelerated hard enough to make it impossible before the next corner came up & he was only catching me when we got up to the "flat out" sections. Sound familiar? It ended up that we put the difference down to the gearing.

I've changed from an 18" to a 17" rear wheel this year & have noticed that the top speed has come down around 5mph as a result. I'm looking at FD's now, to see about the potential for changing the performance through different ratios. Lower ratio & I'll be able to run it up to the red line in the tall 6th (E on the RID). Higher ratio & I'll not hit the rev limiter in 5th & be able to hold the lower gears for longer...:confused:

I didn't say that I passed you... just that I caught you up ;) (You still had the edge on top speed & that was the conclusion we came to...so, honours even? :thumb) It was fun though, wasn't it?

It's funny, though... I had a laugh of a ride from Ramsey to Douglas with a fellow Tosser (name unknown I'm afraid) on a 12, one morning at the TT & we had exactly the same conversation. He was a cracking rider & stayed with me, but couldn't get to the position where he could pass safely. The 1150 accelerated hard enough to make it impossible before the next corner came up & he was only catching me when we got up to the "flat out" sections. Sound familiar? It ended up that we put the difference down to the gearing.

I've changed from an 18" to a 17" rear wheel this year & have noticed that the top speed has come down around 5mph as a result. I'm looking at FD's now, to see about the potential for changing the performance through different ratios. Lower ratio & I'll be able to run it up to the red line in the tall 6th (E on the RID). Higher ratio & I'll not hit the rev limiter in 5th & be able to hold the lower gears for longer...:confused:

It was fun:clap But..............I felt like I was being a bit errr anti-social? not to mention a little illegal and given the amount of plod alleged to be hiding in hedge rows in that part of the world, afraid for the future of my driving licence:eek:
I thought they were evenly matched on acceleration in the lower gears with the 1200 having an edge as the revs rose,as I said at the time yours is probably one of the fastest 1150 I've ridden with;)

:

So a 1200 in a similar state of tune would leave the tuned 1150 waaaaaayyy behind.

hi there guys finalley traded in my 650gs for a mint 12k 1150gs last week
i have already fitted bos chip , k&n filter , full arrow race exhaust system , goes like stink i am bidding on r1100s barrels and pistons for it (as these are actulley 1200cc from the cruiser) orderd hot cams already from wunderlich planning to get genuine 115 bhp at rear wheel with some gas flowing and skimming of the heads.
as working in the trade planning to make a bit of a special gs.
already have r1100s sport wheels with galfer brake disks to fit.
will take a few weeks to get finished will post pictures and dyno figures when done
thanks phill:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

so why not buy a GXRR1ZRCBR JAP sports thingy:rolleyes:

hi there guys
also orderd r1100s bellypan i am hoping with boxercup paintjob :thumb2:thumb2

I know of a used Boxer Cup bellypan (Original Randy Mamola colours in carbon fibre) it has a few scratches but it's a fraction of the new price,PM me if you want to know more I'll give you the sellers pnone no.

third dyno run

hi there guys sorry its been so long but here goes, with alot of development work going on for my 1150gs i have been swapping things backwards and forwards to try and find the perfect compination for fuelling for power on my bike i think i have reached the peak now so here goes:
firstly engine is still bog standard hot cams removed for now,
:clap118bhp and 97torque tested at rear wheel:clap
here is the list of my choices:
removed airbox (k&n cones),power commander,splitfire plugs,
full arrow exhaust system, fully adjustable fuel pressure regulator
(running at 3.8 bar).
with hours spent on the dyno i have reached the peak of fuelling for this bike
now its time for the engine work any suggestions?
lots of people who have taken my bike out cant belive the aggression of power from my bike it will lift front wheel in 3rd under acceleration it revs out in top gear so i am going to change the final drive for a rt item.
so theres the update guys engine out soon maybe i can get 125bhp out
of the old girl phill:aidan

Back
Top Bottom