TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED

Bakes may be embarrassed at my posting this but....today the soft bugger sent me a refund for the day I had to miss.
I never asked nor would I.

Top man I owe you another Carlos V:thumb

THAT SAYS IT ALL.:bow :bow :clap :clap

Bakes may be embarrassed at my posting this but....today the soft bugger sent me a refund for the day I had to miss.
I never asked nor would I.

Top man I owe you another Carlos V:thumb

No problem Tim, genuine REFUND necessary, there.

If Chris Mc Cormick would read his mail and answer, he would get his as well :rolleyes:

Steve,

Just chipping in my tuppenceworth.

I've just had 2 very different holidays - the Hograost and 3 nights in a hotel for our wedding anniversary. The nights in the hotel were fantastic and very clean and organised, but at a price :eek: But the wife was happy :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1

In comparison, the 2 nights at the Hograost were fantastic, very clean and organised, but the price was tiny in comparison.

I met some nice people in the hotel, but I've made mates at the Hograost.

So, I turned up late on the Friday night and I missed the food - well that was my problem and my fault, but Steve was very apologetic and made sure that I knew where there was bread, fruit, coffee and DOUGHNUTS :clap :clap One thing that did impress me was the intention to detail here in that there was fruit laid on, as well as some of the less healthy options. In fact I was really rather put out that there was boiling water laid on, because I wanted to challenge Shready to a 'standing quarter pint' boil-off between our stoves. Oh well, maybe next year.

I made several comments while I was there, but not to the organisers, so I'm backing it up here - I think that the choice of the venue was absolutely inspired.

For a start, the pitch was flat and well drained. Even after days of rain, there was no mud in sight. Having been camping in mud in the past, that was worth a fair amount. We could still have paid £60 and then not been able to get the bikes near the tents because of the risk to the campsite. Imagine the fun we'd have had then, trogging around in soggy, muddy bike gear, trying to pitch/strike the tents :mmmm

The showers were fan-bloomin-tastic, but they would need to be for a sports venue. Compare this with the typical showers that you'd get laid on for a campsite and there's nothing in it.

There was a decent bar and the prices were fair, again this was down to the venue and because it wasn't some temporary bar that's rolled out for the occasion, at a premium price.

Apart from all that, there was a great variety of rideouts, good music and great people.

Personally, I'm happy for the price, and I'm even happier that as much of the funds raised as possible go to charity, not into someone's pocket.

As far as the numbers were concerned, I think that there were definitely a fair number of no-shows because of the rain that had been going on for the previous 3 days. I think it would have helped if newcomers like myself had known how well drained the pitch is, and how well Salisbury Plain dries out. I had pre-booked to force myself to have a holiday, so I was going anyway, but others probably didn't.

And, just to comment on Tuned's post, I think that the problem is the same for a lot of the GB bunch when faced with trips to Ireland, notwithstanding people like Sillymoo, who's going to have to pay a packet to go to just about ANY do :nenau.

Assuming that you camp at A'chill island, that'll cost you £10 for the weekend. I booked ahead and got the Hograost for £50. Therefore, I had doughnuts, 2 meals and live music, for £20/night. That sounds a decent deal to me. I've left out the rideouts and the cameraderie from the sums, they seem to come along when most GSers get together.

Bakerman could you pm me and I will send you a donation for your event, I did not go as I have issues of my own at the mo on the home front:tears , But next year why not.:beerjug:
For those of you who think it was expensive dont go next year,

for those of you who thought the food was wrong, bring your own.

Its about taking part,and being part of it.:thumb
or as my eldest doughter tell's me "get over your self"

:beer: Bill

price ?

Before the event, I did hear a couple of people commenting on how dear they thought it was and they didn't attend, so Tuned In was not alone in that opinion.
I suspect that they did not take into account what was included in the price. If they had added up the cost of all of the extras, they may have not thought it to be so expensive.
For those that did attend, I am sure all will agree that it was well worth the price(exept maybe Toad :D , although he was still smiling:thumb )

Keep up the good work Bakes:thumb2 , just don't expect to please everyone.

Let's face it if you don't like Chili, Pork, Corn,Bread, Music,Tea, Coffee, Fruit, Doughnuts, Vegi stew, hot showers, Mints,Hot showers, flat camping, great rides, reasonable priced drinks then you wouldn't get much for your money.

Cheers, Piggers

Let's face it if you don't like Chili, Pork, Corn,Bread, Music,Tea, Coffee, Fruit, Doughnuts, Vegi stew, hot showers, Mints,Hot showers, flat camping, great rides, reasonable priced drinks then you wouldn't get much for your money.

Cheers, Piggers

Mints - what mints?!?!?

OI!, I've been swindled :tears

Just a thought about the whole thing - it's not a competitive tender to be fought against every other GS event, it's not about being the cheapest, it's about whether or not it's good value for money.

And I for one will be back.

I didn't go to the squealer spit raost this year because of cost... that is the cost of attending two events in one month. It was Kelso or Andover, and Kelso won. Hopefully i'll make it next year!

Back
Top Bottom