puncture repair

twig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi, just returned from my first trip to french alps where i managed to get a lovely shiny nail in my rear tyre. i managed to fix puncture using a stop & go pocket tyre plugger. quite impressed with the ease of use of the kit and repaired tyre so i could limp home. the only concern i had was if i had suffered another puncture , i had plenty of repair plugs , but i had used all 4 co2 canisters to pump tyre up so i could get to nearest air line at garage. i have seen on nippys site that he does a small air compressor. has anyone got one and what do you think of it, any good? are there any other alternatives other than carrying loads of canisters?
cheers
:beerjug:

I bought a brand new £5 compressor off e-bay a few years ago, but I've seen them in motorway service stations etc. Its very basic - but it does the job. The whole thing is only approx 6" x 4" x 5" (so it doesn't take up much room in the panniers) and I chopped off the original plug and attached a plug from the SailGB site which means I can use it from the car cigarette lighter or the bike plugs. Only used it twice in anger - but its still reassuring to know its there. :thumb2

hi, just returned from my first trip to french alps where i managed to get a lovely shiny nail in my rear tyre. i managed to fix puncture using a stop & go pocket tyre plugger. quite impressed with the ease of use of the kit and repaired tyre so i could limp home. the only concern i had was if i had suffered another puncture , i had plenty of repair plugs , but i had used all 4 co2 canisters to pump tyre up so i could get to nearest air line at garage. i have seen on nippys site that he does a small air compressor. has anyone got one and what do you think of it, any good? are there any other alternatives other than carrying loads of canisters?
cheers
:beerjug:

(1) NN's small compresors are excellent. V tidy piece of kit. On a 1200 you may have to connect it straight to the battery (via a fuse) as starting it via a power socket is sometimes sufficient to trip the canbus.

(2) You can make one yourself. Find a cheap car tyre compressor (Halfrauds or similar) take the useless plastc box apart (if it's glued use a hammer) and take the small compressor out. Not as tidy as (1). Or you can sometimes see them as cheap as a few quid in petrol stations.

(3) Go to a decent bicycle shop and get a small handpump, one that pumps on the in and out strokes. It takes effort but it works.

(4) The gas cylinders are CO2, the same as used in fizzydrink dispensers. Find somewghere that sells drink sparklers (Boots used to) -cheaper too, if I remember correctly.

Never mind about the co2 cartridges, where can I get hold of the adhesive by itself?

Last time I asked at Oxford. " Don't do it loose" was the reply. Mind you, this was from the youth who said that they were out of stock of coil packs. Middle aged bloke behind the counter kindly informed him that there were three in stock. Bit of luck, as that was what I wanted.

I got the motopump kit - it's one of these things I'm glad I got, but hope I never need to use. It's from the States and cost £24 all in. Rob at www.motopumps.com. I said it was a gift and he marked it as gift.:augie It took about a week to arrive. It's a good compact size and fits nicely under the seat. Regards.

Blackburn compact bicycle pump. Takes about a million pumps to get a reasonable amount of air into the tyre but its better than nothing. Topeak do a portable track pump which is bigger but much better. all around the £20 mark.

Air...

Well you always need it – sometime more and sometimes less. Besides for repairs – carrying a small unit is nice also if you believe in changing tire pressure dependent on load and type of ground (like on/off-road in more remote places). I have the CyclePump from BestRest: http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/cyclepump/

I would recommend making an easy to use connection directly to the battery (with a fuse, unless you have a more sophisticated way of extra power distribution besides the canbus). The less fuzz you have to go through to use it - the more likely you will use it - and more frequently. And if you tend to go in a group you don’t all have to bring one:D

punctures

Get an electric tyre pump, fit a socket on the bike wired from the battery direct via a fuse. Brought a pump in wall mart in 2001 $9.00. been brillient so spend your dosh, don't forget to run the engine whist pumping or flat battery may result.
dave gs.

...whats the point of providing a socket when all the extra's now dont work cause of the canbus (Heated clothing / air pumps..etc)

....and we now need to create fused loom straight from the battery

...Feckin daft!!!

I got the slime from NN's and also fitted a fused ciggie lighter socket to power it from (also from NN's). Took 5 mins to fit the socket and it works a treat. Obviously I can also now power pretty much anything I need.

Back
Top Bottom