extras for f650gs

Biker-Kitty

Reaction score
what extras do people recommend to get for f650gs? wanting to ride on and off road but is there any accessories that people recommend to definately get?

thanks.

Just got myself the OEM fender extender but's a whole inch on the length (size isn't everything) only £12, but looks the dogs b*****ks

I didn't put anything special on (except for the lovely orange seat) and Gladys Emmanuel coped admirably with 2 days off roading in Italy. I think though that the Touratech front guard would be a good idea - I think the BMW one is too short.

Although if it had been wet my tyres would perhaps not have coped quite so well, and maybe an Olins shock would improve the ride.

I've added a few bits that I think have made the bike far better.
The standard 650 screen is too small for riding at any speed on the road so a larger screen is a must. There are a few on the market but I've got the Wunderlich Ergo which seems to be pretty good.
Also hand guards are a good idea as as well as protecting hands from flying objects they help your hands keep warm in the cold. I've got the BMW ones.
With regards to off road, the standard foot pegs are a bit on the small side so fit something a bit bigger, I've just bought some Fastway Footpegs from Nippy Normans which I intend to fit this week.
The only other thing that I'm looing for is some sort of from mud guard extender as it seems alot of crap flies up between the forks and the body of the bike and either covers the rider or a tank one if one is fitted. I've yet to find one of these but the search continues.

When I had my Dakar, I put the Touratech uprated front fork springs in it, changed the handling for the better by miles

what extras do people recommend to get for f650gs? wanting to ride on and off road but is there any accessories that people recommend to definately get?

thanks.

Hi Vixen, welcome to the site.

As other have said;
Taller screen. Not cheep, so second hand might be a better option'.

Hand guards. The BMW one's are very good and cheep enough not to worry about finding s'hand ones. They're easy to fit and do a good job of protecting you brake and clutch leavers too. Plus weather protection is supprisingly good as well.

Engine bars are usful. For the obvious reasons. Any make will do, but there pricy so again s'hand might be preffered (if you can find some of course).

Foot rests. For off roading, first try them with the rubbers removed (they pull out and push back in quite easily) before shelling out loads of cash on other makes.

If you going on trips etc you'll be needing a top box and panniers. The BMW one's are 'IMHO' the best, but others are available.

Good luck and have fun.

Val.

I must agree touring screen esential!!. If buying second hand or infact even if buying new make sure you get the right fitting bikes upto 04 are 3 point fixing 04 onwards are a 4 point fixing (i think that's right) and the wrong one wont fit!

A big jar of anti wrinkel cream as the continual smile on your face is going to play hell with the crows feet:aidan

Don't listen to micky whatever you do :p

Or me for that matter :eek:

daklat.jpg

I think the uprated springs and heavier weight oil in the front is a good cheap mod, less nose dive under braking and better handling. I also think the fork protectors are essential, keeps all the road shite off the stantions. If you want panniers theres loads of different make available, i use caribou cases they are made form pelican cases, totally waterproof and as tough as old boots. The pannier mounting rack, along with the engine bars prevented serious damage to the bike when i came off it as well.

A good (if expensive) place to start for parts is touratech be warned tho, its a long, expensive and slippery slope once you start :D

You'll get better f650 related info from www.f650.com and www.f650.co.uk, stick around here tho :thumb2

I added some SW-Motech engine guards, Touratech fork protectors and centerstand. I also use the Caribou cases, the rack by itself has saved my bike from damage when it's fallen down. I'm looking at replacing the battery with a sealed one asap.

have hand guards, engine bars and i have the hard luggage, but does anyone know where i can get the touring screen people have talked about.

also i am doing away with the original bmw back mud guard/ chain guard, i have been onto touratech and bought a chain guard, mud flap, extensions for front mudguard and raidiator covers, looking at the fairing protection bars and the fog light and the other but cannot afford them at moment new from touratech, also i want to get fork guards to.

but anything else people think is a good idea?

thanks for all your replies so far been really helpful, thanks.

fog lights are tres expensive. check my pics on the 'HID KIT' thread down the page. much cheaper option and does exactly the same job

have hand guards, engine bars and i have the hard luggage, but does anyone know where i can get the touring screen people have talked about.

also i am doing away with the original bmw back mud guard/ chain guard, i have been onto touratech and bought a chain guard, mud flap, extensions for front mudguard and raidiator covers, looking at the fairing protection bars and the fog light and the other but cannot afford them at moment new from touratech, also i want to get fork guards to.

but anything else people think is a good idea?

thanks for all your replies so far been really helpful, thanks.

For screens try looking at Wunderlich, Givi and Puig.

There's plenty on choice, though personaly I be looking for a Wunderlich.

Back
Top Bottom