My GS1150 Spontaneously Combusted! - IS BMW to blame?

mikeinreadinguk

This follows on from the thread I posted last week-end

"My GS1150 Spontaneously Combusted!”

My insurers (Carole Nash) are at the moment undecided whether this is "mechanical failure" and hence not covered - or indeed fire which is covered. I have an on site inspection with the assessor next week. So have continued with a more thorough investigation myself.

I have now taken the seat & tank, Motonics and battery tray off and it looks like a few of the wires have been rubbing against the tray and shorted underneath. It looks like the wires were tight against the tray, hence the rubbing was inevitable and they were not particularly well protected.

I will get some light in there and photograph for all to see - but the reason for the posting is ...

Is this a known fault, has this happened to you or a friend as well? If it’s happened a few times then maybe I have cause to get BMW involved.

Thanks guys, Mike

And I'd say this is a design flaw.

The bottom of the battery tray has arc welded itself to, and destroyed, the loom. Its a right mess.

I have the piccies but cant work out how to post them (my membership does not allow attachements). So email me at mike@rtsw.co.uk if you want to see them.

Does anyone know if BMW modified the battery tray / loom room routing to fix this in later models. Mines a 2002 serviced by BMW till 2006.

Thanks, guys.

Sounds a bit rough. You'd have thought that if a fire ensues for whathever reason (except deliberate) that it'd be covered by insurance.

BMW are entirely to blame.

Fire and dangerous electricity never existed until they invented it .

My bulb blew in headlight. So replaced it and then had smoking wires either side of black connector under tank. Lost both nearside indicators too. As long as i dont switch lights on it doesn't smoke!!
Am i looking at a complete new loom?

Thread revival of the month. Ten years since first post. :thumb2 . On a serious note I think you'd be better starting a new thread in the 1150 section, Dr Farkoff of Steptoe will be able to help you.

It's the Tories fault, they let them in to the country without the relevant testing as a EU sweetener

My young son used to check my electric fence. That was about 10 years ago. When he was 4. Seems fitting to put 10 year old stuff in here. JJH

Back
Top Bottom