Airoh S4 - Arai Tour X Copy. Suprisingly Good

Message for Mutley/Manny Fagnet

Mutley/Manny, I was at Thunder Road Honda this morning and out of curiosty tried on an Arai Tour-X Challenge, and I will say publicly that I now agree with you both, firstly having put the correct size on I could not get over how good the Lid felt whilst it was on, and more importantly how easy it was to take off without ripping my ears off the side of my head. The component parts were faultless,I was also impressed with the Arai after sales aspects as well.
I haven't got a clue about the wind noise or leak proof aspects of the helmet but I will certainly be taking one for a trial ride to find out, I'm not too concerned about water, being a softcore sunshine rider who hates the wet and the cold, but as long as it's not deafening I will certainly be considering one at some point in the future along with the Schuberth which I have yet to try.:thumb2

Mutley/Manny, I was at Thunder Road Honda this morning and out of curiosty tried on an Arai Tour-X Challenge, and I will say publicly that I now agree with you both, firstly having put the correct size on I could not get over how good the Lid felt whilst it was on, and more importantly how easy it was to take off without ripping my ears off the side of my head. The component parts were faultless,I was also impressed with the Arai after sales aspects as well.
I haven't got a clue about the wind noise or leak proof aspects of the helmet but I will certainly be taking one for a trial ride to find out, I'm not too concerned about water, being a softcore sunshine rider who hates the wet and the cold, but as long as it's not deafening I will certainly be considering one at some point in the future along with the Schuberth which I have yet to try.:thumb2

It's the best helmety I've ever owned,and also my one and only Arai,as I normally buy Shoei.

I've also noticed that it is MUCH quieter on the GSA than a normal full face.

I rode my GSA to the garage the other day using my Shoei that I use on other bikes and it was so noisy and I rode later using the Tour X,and the difference was amazing.

I think the wind comes over the screen and is channelled either side of the helmet and over the peak much more easily and efficiently because of it's aerodynamic shape

I remember maybe 20 years ago, the Simpson Star Wars was a fantastic, top of the range car helmet that Nascar and F1 drivers used, but it couldn't pass the BS tests for bike use. Why? Because its shape (it had a few sharpish angles around its 'snout') meant that it would dig into the road surface, just as described above.

So, I have to ask the question, if we're all so concerned about buying the very best head protection, why are we considering either of these helmets which deviate from the traditional rounded shape?

Paul G

The main reason the Simpson used to fails BS standarss was on periphial vison. I should know I have had several over the years. They are made for car racing. Bloody good helmets tho, My rx8 did the job when I met Mr Myopic Volvo driver a few years back. I wear a tour-x now and after doing over 40k miles in just under 3 years I comute to work as well as riding to bike rallys and I have to say its been one of the most comfortable lids I have owned in 27 years of riding.
We always used to say you either have a Aria or Shoei shaped head. WHat fits ME might not fit you. I have tried both and always found an Arai fitted better where as My mate swears blind by His Shoei. One reason the likes of Aria and Shoei helmets are more expensive is they actual make different size shells to go with the head sizes Also can you have the cheaper helmets cheek pads and so on changed to tailor the fit ? How well does the inner liner wear. My tour-x shows no sign of wear even tho its been worn every day nealry for the last 3 years.
Yes they steam up but a nose gaurd and some anti fog fix that, Mine has never leaked even after riding to scotland in torentail rain, and most importnatly to Me i have never arrived anywhere or been sat in traffic whishing I didn't have it on My head. For those reason I am happy to have paid what I did for it, and when it comes time to replace it I will be looking at another one unless I find something that is as enjoyable to wear as the tour-x. Now if only I could get a tour-x with a pinlock visor that didnt sound like I had My head up the reheat of a tornada ( but hten thats what ear plugs are for)

erm this tread is sooooo long and so heated I missed out some of it....a question if I dare,, how does the BM Enduro rate then within this fine discussion of helmets??? just thinking as there are many members of the forum wearing them amd they seem to be good value? if a Bm item coould be?

erm this tread is sooooo long and so heated I missed out some of it....a question if I dare,, how does the BM Enduro rate then within this fine discussion of helmets??? just thinking as there are many members of the forum wearing them amd they seem to be good value? if a Bm item coould be?

A mate bought one last year and wore it on our trip around europe for a week.

He has never worn it since,saying it was so uncomfortable and noisy.

I guess you need to try one and see if it suits your head.

All I know is that I bought the Tour X and it is brilliant.

The standard XL was slightly loose around the cheeks,so I bought the next size up in cheek pads and it now fits as though it was tailor-made for me.

Ah, the never ending helmet debate (argument). My take on this is this. In a former life I had the displeasure of having to attend to a number of fatal motorcycle crashes over a twenty year period. Perhaps ten or a dozen. I don't recall a single rider losing his/her life as a result of a head injury. In every case the cause was either a broken neck and/or internal injuries. Whether they wore a £300 helmet or a twenty year old hand me down, their heads didn't get injured, but other parts of their body did succomb.

When people say that they were a £300 helmet because "it's the best they can afford" I wonder where they got the money to buy a £4000 motorbike. Why weren't they looking for a £500 helmet, a £600 helmet, or even more? I think that once you get past £150 (for instance), you are paying for a flash (read 'pavement pizza') paint job and marketing.

My present helmet is an Arai Sz, a white open-face helmet, which suits me down to the ground. It has excellent vision, allows lots of fresh air to get to me, and is pretty well made, even if on hot days it grips a tad too tightly over my forehead. I sliced a few millimetres of polystyrene away and it's OK now.

At the end of the day, if what you have suits you, that's fine. Just don't rant at others who don't agree with your philosophy.:thumb

Ah, the never ending helmet debate (argument). My take on this is this. In a former life I had the displeasure of having to attend to a number of fatal motorcycle crashes over a twenty year period. Perhaps ten or a dozen. I don't recall a single rider losing his/her life as a result of a head injury. In every case the cause was either a broken neck and/or internal injuries. Whether they wore a £300 helmet or a twenty year old hand me down, their heads didn't get injured, but other parts of their body did succomb.

When people say that they were a £300 helmet because "it's the best they can afford" I wonder where they got the money to buy a £4000 motorbike. Why weren't they looking for a £500 helmet, a £600 helmet, or even more? I think that once you get past £150 (for instance), you are paying for a flash (read 'pavement pizza') paint job and marketing.

My present helmet is an Arai Sz, a white open-face helmet, which suits me down to the ground. It has excellent vision, allows lots of fresh air to get to me, and is pretty well made, even if on hot days it grips a tad too tightly over my forehead. I sliced a few millimetres of polystyrene away and it's OK now.

At the end of the day, if what you have suits you, that's fine. Just don't rant at others who don't agree with your philosophy.:thumb

Well said. You pay your cash and take your choice, I'm very supprised that nobody has metioned the car seatbelt type buckle vs double D ring straps. Or the ski boot type thingies that we have sausageside. They fill me with more fear than the shell construction. By the way I have an X-lite that cost half the national dept of Gambia and the interior fell apart after 3 months. Repalced under waranty so no harm done but for the dosh I expected better. I have crashed fairly extensively in my yoooof in a number of different lids and although the lids were toast I'm still here so I think the original specs must be OK. Although many who know me would argue the brain damage issue! I think its much more important to get one that fits corectly and is comfortable. Not the label on the outside or the paint job.

I don't recall a single rider losing his/her life as a result of a head injury. In every case the cause was either a broken neck and/or internal injuries. Whether they wore a £300 helmet or a twenty year old hand me down, their heads didn't get injured, but other parts of their body did succomb.

So do you think the BMW Neck Brace would be a worthwhile investment. Not cheap at about £300 but that combined with a £100 helmet (eg the Airoh)would still be less than a top spec Arai?

If you're a sheep that buys what you see on the TV and have too much money then........

Wouldnt that go for every one that buys an "enduro" style helmet ?
Cant see the advantage of the style, over a normal lid.

Admit your all posuers :D

So do you think the BMW Neck Brace would be a worthwhile investment. Not cheap at about £300 but that combined with a £100 helmet (eg the Airoh)would still be less than a top spec Arai?

I'm sorry but I've just come across this thread and realise I should have replied to it. I have no knowledge of a BMW Neck Brace, never worn one and never seen one, so I can't really comment. I would say that I wonder if it hinders the rider's ability to look over his shoulder? One reason I wear an open-face helmet is than when I wear a full face, the chin guard hits the shoulder armour of my jacket which prevents my head looking past '3 o'clock'. However with advancing age, it doesn't go much further anyway.:eek:

I have one it is great ! not too noisy, not too heavy, the visor gives good sun protection, great all round vision, screen is easy removed with a 10pp if you want to use goggles. a good alternative to the lids afforementioned IMHO:augie.

the Tour x is a good looking lid though. If I am temped to have one on looks alone.

Back
Top Bottom