Airoh S4 - Arai Tour X Copy. Suprisingly Good

snoopy

Picked one up for £120, they are £100 on eBay. I'm really impressed with the quality and overall build. You can convert it into a race helmet using the extras. The ventilation works well, the visor is quite far from face so doesn't steam up and it's relatively quite - though not as good as the System 5.

I'm sure there are those that will say it's not an Arai so don't get one but this is a very good helmet and worth a look if you want the same spec. without the price tag.

PS) The matt black one (shown) is very cool looking.

airoh3136.jpg

I'm sure there are those that will say it's not an Arai so don't get one but this is a very good helmet and worth a look if you want the same spec. without the price tag.

Admittedly you pay an element in the price of an Arai for marketing and racer sponsorship, however you are kidding yourself if you think this is the same spec. as a Tour-X :rolleyes:

Buy the best helmet that you can afford. If this is the best your budget runs to then be happy with your purchase, but don't imagine for a minute that it is as good a helmet as a top of the range Arai.

As the saying goes, if you've got a £120 pound head .........:blast

Mutley, both helmets meet the high-end safety standards. They are made out of the same materials. I'd change the statement to...

If you're a sheep that buys what you see on the TV and have too much money then.......

I'm all for you telling me what on the Arai Tour X is actually better.

Admittedly you pay an element in the price of an Arai for marketing and racer sponsorship, however you are kidding yourself if you think this is the same spec. as a Tour-X :rolleyes:

Buy the best helmet that you can afford. If this is the best your budget runs to then be happy with your purchase, but don't imagine for a minute that it is as good a helmet as a top of the range Arai.

Mutters at the end of the day all we are paying for basicaly, is a lump of expanded polystyrene foam to protect our heads, the outer skin has very little to do other than look pretty and seal the foam. The prices are a rip off at whatever you pay in the UK, my Roof Boxer cost me £180.00 new including delivery from Germany, at the time that was £70.00 cheaper than I could find one in the UK.

Utter bollix, how many people on this site say "great helmet" and then in the same breathe "it leaks in the rain"

Bollix bollix bollix

>Don't pay good money for leaky lids

Pay top money for good lids that work.

Great lid, the Tour x, but mine fell to bits. The screws that hold the beak are made of cheese, it has chipped badly by flying stones, the finish at the vents ain't great. Arai are good, but they are not that good. I'm looking for another lid, and I might not get the tx. I'm looking at the Marushin at the moment.

Actually it would be good if the testing standards were more easy to understand and they were tough.

I think the old BS standard tests were tougher than the present EU thing. Helmets were awarded different level BS standards. Whilst all seem to get the EU standard .. which indicates to me as a test for minimum rather than a tough test to rank.

Would like to know how well they actually protect your head. I am surprised things like Bike magazine don't make it compulsory for test riders to be used as crash test dummies in real life crash helmet test ... they seem to wreck a press bike every other week :D

Mutley, both helmets meet the high-end safety standards. They are made out of the same materials. I'd change the statement to...

If you're a sheep that buys what you see on the TV and have too much money then.......

I'm all for you telling me what on the Arai Tour X is actually better.

The safety standards are finite. Agreed, both helmets meet them. One also goes a bit further.

For example one of the tests involves a penetration test where a pointed weight is dropped on the helmet. The test states exactly where the test is to be made. Some manufacturers will strengthen the helmet specifically at that point. Arai ensure that not only will the shell pass the test at any point on it, it will pass the test on repeated attempts in the same place.

Do a search on this forum for more details as I have to follow the rest of my flock now :blast

Mutters at the end of the day all we are paying for basicaly, is a lump of expanded polystyrene foam to protect our heads, the outer skin has very little to do other than look pretty and seal the foam.

I think you should have a look at a few websites on what the outer shell of a helmet does :rolleyes:

The prices are a rip off at whatever you pay in the UK, my Roof Boxer cost me £180.00 new including delivery from Germany, at the time that was £70.00 cheaper than I could find one in the UK.

What you are talking about here is ripoff Britain, a different argument altogether :topic

Utter bollix, how many people on this site say "great helmet" and then in the same breathe "it leaks in the rain"

Bollix bollix bollix

>Don't pay good money for leaky lids

Pay top money for good lids that work.

What a well thought out and constructed argument, you clearly have a lot to offer both this discussion and the forum. I look forward to your next post with bated breath :rolleyes:

Great lid, the Tour x, but mine fell to bits. The screws that hold the beak are made of cheese, it has chipped badly by flying stones, the finish at the vents ain't great. Arai are good, but they are not that good. I'm looking for another lid, and I might not get the tx. I'm looking at the Marushin at the moment.

There is a fantastic backup service from Arai. You can get vents and screws replaced for free anywhere you see their service tent (normally at race tracks or things like the BMF). Spares can be bought from the web and shops. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles wearing Arais and the finish has always seemed fine to me :nenau

BUT ... is it as BAD as your paranoia is implying :D

Nope it's as good as the safety sticker on it. It passes the ACU gold test and the EU standards so how bad can it be :nenau

I'm sure it's very good value for money, I just don't have a value for money head ;)

I reckon that to do it's job properly a lid has go to fit well, if it don't it won't. I tried a tour-x and it's the best fitting lid I've ever worn. After 2 years of constant use both on and off-road with the visor and goggles mines fairing quite well. Going to replace it soon and it'll be with another tour-x. The only other lid I've owned (and I've had a few :rolleyes: ) that i thought came close on quality was an AGV titech. Would be interested to see what an airoh fits me like though.

For example one of the tests involves a penetration test where a pointed weight is dropped on the helmet...which is completely irrelevent to real world crash scenarios

Fixed :thumb

Here we go again....'my helmet cost twice as much as yours,therefore it`s twice as safe'.......yawn.

By what`s been said up to now,a person is automatically safer in an Arai,even if it mightn`t fit them properly :augie

Arais are priced at the level they are simply because some people,suckered by sales guff like 'Most of the racers wear them' (only because of clever tactics by Arai,not because of any quality or performance issue) are prepared to pay that price...just like BMW kit....not because it`s automatically X amount better.

'Perceived Quality'...it`s expensive,so it must be good/it`s cheap so it must be crap.

The often misquoted Bell Helmets sales line about 'if you`ve got a howsoever many pounds/dollar head we`re ranting about today.....' is nothing more than that....A SALES LINE.

What a well thought out and constructed argument, you clearly have a lot to offer both this discussion and the forum. I look forward to your next post with bated breath :rolleyes:

Bollix bollix bollix;

How many people on this site have a tour X? How many of them complain that it leaks.... (Lots if not most)

Bollix

Fair weather biker maybe mutley. Don't know you but you seem to be on a run with this one today. Or maybe you hold shares in Arai...

Function not fashion...

Here we go again....'my helmet cost twice as much as yours,therefore it`s twice as safe'.......yawn.

By what`s been said up to now,a person is automatically safer in an Arai,even if it mightn`t fit them properly :augie

Thanks for 'fixing' my quote to say something I neither said nor intimated mate, it wasn't even funny either :(

Secondly I haven't said either of the sentences above, you have. A poorly fitting helmet is worse than none at all. If you want to get with the thread then we are discussing whether cheap helmets are as good as more expensive ones. My argument is that you may not get better VFM from an Arai but you do get a better helmet - discuss :p

How many people on this site have a tour X? How many of them complain that it leaks.... (Lots if not most)

I have a tour-x and it only 'leaks' when you ride in the rain with the visor open. The rain runs down the helmet behind the peak and into the apeture. It's physics not faulty design. The Marushin and the Airoh I've seen had visors that didn't fit when closed :nenau

Fair weather biker maybe mutley. Don't know you but you seem to be on a run with this one today. Or maybe you hold shares in Arai...

Function not fashion...

You don't know me and I don't think we've ever met, but if you have a look around the site you'll see plenty of pictures of my bike and I out in all weathers. :p

My brother,being a cheapskate and always on the look-out for a 'bargain',bought one of these Airoh's.

He had it about 2 weeks before admitting it was utter shite-noisy,very uncomfortable,poor finish-everything you would expect for £120 !!.

He has since bought a Tour X !

I rode out of Brussels in May in an absolute monsoon for about an hour in my Tour X.It didn't leak at all.

It's the best helmet I've ever owned,and I've had loads over the years

Why save a couple of hundred quid when it could be your life at risk ?

A couple of years ago I got excited about the Airoh lid, then I saw one....... you get what you pay for!
Bought my daughter the HJC copy of the Tour X, seems to be slightly better quality than the Airoh for around the same money.
Maybe the Airoh will give me as much protection as my Tour X but frankly I don't feel like testing them so I will stick with Arai.

Hey Mutley, I am sticking up for you! :D

Back
Top Bottom