Need some buying advice please

Mrs Radar_UK

I'm going to look at a 2001 F650 GS (Y reg) this weekend

Having never owned a BMW before I just wondered if there was anything in particular I should look out for?

The bike sounds ideal for me, the only thing which bothers me a little is that the owner has serviced it himself for the last 2 years, apparently there's no BMW service history at all. I looked on his webpage and he's had all sorts of BMW's Guzzi's and has been servicing and maintaining his own bikes for 25 years, he does regular touring all over the UK and Europe so I suspect it has been very well looked after - I've attached pics as well. Am I worrying over nothing about the service history?

These are the details of the bike...

The bike is in good condition, it is in Titan Blue Metallic on a Y plate (2001) with 38,000 miles and very reliable. It was serviced just prior to the trip around France in June.

It has:

ABS
Heated Grips
BMW Tall screen – adjustable a la Trevor’s modification
Wrap around Hand Guards
Scottoiler
Pannier rails
Power socket
BMW Expanding panniers
Pannier inner bags – very useful and smart
BMW rack to take the standard BMW top box
Wunderlich low front mudguard
Recent front & rear tyres – Metzeler Tourances, plus new quality tubes
Just had the steering head bearings replaced
Standard height seat
MOT til end of February 2008, tax end of August 2007

Bad points - not much to report: some minor scratches to the aluminium of the panniers, lacquer flaking on the Wunderlich lower mudguard and the engine finish on the right seems to be raised in places, though this does not ‘feel’ like flaking lacquer, there's also some lacquer come away in obscure under engine places which have been cutback and repainted.

Price £2000 or £2200 with the luggage

BMWRHS.jpg

BMWLHS.jpg

BMWengine.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Looks very clean. You might want to ask what he lubes the chain with, and has he had to change out any valve shims (done during valve adjustment). What is the frequency of oil/filter changes? What oil has been used?

Sounds OK, maybe a little expensive. My 03 with 44000 miles went for £2000 back in February. However, check chain & sprockets for wear, especially the front one, rear suspension linkage bearings (mine were replaced with the chain at about 30000 miles), and fork sliders for any sign of pitting and subsequent seal leakage. If any of those need doing, then go in with a lower offer. Hope this helps and good luck.

get him talking about what is involved in servicing the bike. It should be clear fairly quickly if he knows what he's talking about.
If he's the right sort of bloke then its probably have had more attention to detail from him than at any dealer you care to mention.

I'm going to look at a 2001 F650 GS (Y reg) this weekend

Having never owned a BMW before I just wondered if there was anything in particular I should look out for?

The bike sounds ideal for me, the only thing which bothers me a little is that the owner has serviced it himself for the last 2 years, apparently there's no BMW service history at all. I looked on his webpage and he's had all sorts of BMW's Guzzi's and has been servicing and maintaining his own bikes for 25 years, he does regular touring all over the UK and Europe so I suspect it has been very well looked after - I've attached pics as well. Am I worrying over nothing about the service history?

These are the details of the bike...

The bike is in good condition, it is in Titan Blue Metallic on a Y plate (2001) with 38,000 miles and very reliable. It was serviced just prior to the trip around France in June.

It has:

ABS
Heated Grips
BMW Tall screen – adjustable a la Trevor’s modification
Wrap around Hand Guards
Scottoiler
Pannier rails
Power socket
BMW Expanding panniers
Pannier inner bags – very useful and smart
BMW rack to take the standard BMW top box
Wunderlich low front mudguard
Recent front & rear tyres – Metzeler Tourances, plus new quality tubes
Just had the steering head bearings replaced
Standard height seat
MOT til end of February 2008, tax end of August 2007

Bad points - not much to report: some minor scratches to the aluminium of the panniers, lacquer flaking on the Wunderlich lower mudguard and the engine finish on the right seems to be raised in places, though this does not ‘feel’ like flaking lacquer, there's also some lacquer come away in obscure under engine places which have been cutback and repainted.

Price £2000 or £2200 with the luggage

BMWRHS.jpg

BMWLHS.jpg

BMWengine.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

38000mls £2200 inc panniers is a bit steep in my book.

It does look in good condition though.

If you like it go for it, but try haggaling the price closer to £1900 including panniers.

£2200 is IMO an ok price, but right on the high side for a private sale.

Val.

PS: I have a standard/low seat in good con if your looking to swap for the high one.

F650GS 2004 54 Plate

If you're after something a bit newer for a bit more money, I'm about to put my F650GS up for sale having owned it just under 2 years
Its done 12000 miles has full service history form Clarks of Rednal and is in Black.
Heated Grips
Wundrlich Ergo high screen
Hand Guards
S W Motech Crash bars
Genuine BMW Tank Bag

New chain and sprockets at the last service as well as a new head stock bearing.
Would be looking for a touch over 3000 GBP.
Am away from home this weekend so have no pics but if you are interested I can post some next week.
Wasn't planning to advetise till later in the week but oh well.

I know of this bike. The chap that is selling this visits this site but frequents the f650.co.uk site.
I don't know much about what he has done to it but for that price you cant go wrong. The engine paint flaking is due to the age really so dont worry about that. The rotax engine is bombproof so as long as you dont ride it like you stole it (like I do) it will last donkeys years.
Most of us with the F650 do our own servicing really its an easy bike to maintain and fix. I wouldnt be worried but would double check to see if the electric are in good condition.(mine are a mess hehe)

good luck

My advice is to go for the twin spark, its alot more livelier and easier on fuel consumption.

As the bikes gets older, the re-sale value of the twin spark will always be more favourable.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it was very helpful.

I decided not to buy this bike in the end and have bought a lovely 2003 650 off Noddy Made Me instead as it has full BMWSH and he has every receipt and bit of paperwork for the bike from new.

I'm picking it up in the week, can't wait! :D

Hi to C & Lee,
Have posted on H on W section, great to meet you both and look forward to seeing you in the week.
Johnp your bike has a new owner:thumb2 Celeste has kindly offered to remove the chicken strips for me:augie . I did try and explain that i had only just passed my test and i think shes let me off:nenau :D

Back
Top Bottom