BMW OFF ROAD LEVEL 1 COURSE

I'm doing Level 1 this weekend 6th / 7th October on a 650GS, ride an 1100GS.
Looking forward to it but I do feel a little bit aprehensive as it will be my first time off road.

I was wondering, for those who have already attended Level 1, is there any bit of kit they wished they had taken or perhaps left behind? I've been lent an Arai Tour-X helmet, goggles and off-road armour and wondered if it would be worth taking it or not?

Just back from offroad skills 1 yesterday and I was also someone who had never ridden offroad before.

Had my Pro-Rallye 2 kit on which was really good and hired boots - you do need proper footwear, otherwise I used my System 5 helmet and lightweight gloves. Got a kidney belt for the first time too, which was really supportive.T shirt and underwear were the only other clothing.

You cannot underestimate the benefits of body armour - I lost count of the times I fell of but nothing apart from pride dented, elbows, hips and shoulders take a bit of a knocking. Don;t worry about water - there is plently of bottled stuff and you find spots to put one or two on whatever type of bike you are riding. Food is very good too with a mid-morning stop for snack & drink and good lunch.

The instructors are all great (but rather insane on a bike) and just watching them is an education, then the next thing you know, you are following them and doing stuff you would not believe, thoroughly enjoying yourself :bounce1
If you are like me (fat, 50 and unfit) you come home totally knackered but feeling rather pleased with yourself :clap

Have a great time.

use their knee guards tucked in ya offroad boots..........i had ago on everybike when i did level one.........love usin the 1200 took all the work out of it.............if they have a spare bike up on the practice ground... they have no hassle lettin you have a go.........until that is when somebody breaks one and you have to give it back.......
the course is mega fun............and all the better for chuckin somebody else bike about................:p...wear every bit of armour that you own........elbow guards, knees, chest shoulder back..........cos you will come off.........or was that just me.................lol and drink lots of water cos you sweat loads..............lol

Just back from level one for the third time, one very bruised hip and a spiral fracture in left hand, but despite all that had a ball. Mind you it was a long ride back to Holyhead with a broken hand, I had got the clutchless gear change down to a fine art...... only using the clutch 14 times in 293km. The instructors are a great bunch of guys, realising that besides wanting to learn we also wanted a bit of craic or mabey that should have read "crack" as in bone.:beer:

I'm doing Level 1 this weekend 6th / 7th October on a 650GS, ride an 1100GS.
Looking forward to it but I do feel a little bit aprehensive as it will be my first time off road.

I was wondering, for those who have already attended Level 1, is there any bit of kit they wished they had taken or perhaps left behind? I've been lent an Arai Tour-X helmet, goggles and off-road armour and wondered if it would be worth taking it or not?

Bring your car. Brilliant for getting home in when you're knackered after the course:thumb2

I did the level 1 course last Saturday and Sunday, I'd never been off road before and was more than a little apprehensive.

What a fantastic weekend, I accomplished far more than I expected to in the two days. Very knackering though and I have a cracked rib after coming off the 1200 GS, during the 'choose any bike' bit, painfull too, especially as I have a cough:eek:. I was on a 650 GS for the course and it's a good bike to use IMO, as it's not too heavy to pick up repeatedly and not too powerfull to get you into any major situations.

The instructors were superb, approachable and realistic about what you can sensibly achieve in the two days.

If you can, try and stay in the Abercrave Inn, as the first evening everyone meets there for dinner.

I understand that all the level 1 training for this year is now completed and the bikes are being sold off soon, to be replaced next March, with new ones. (Including the new 800GS?).

I would like to go back and do the ladies weekend..........cos i was the only female in the group when i went.............but i had a awesome time...still havin hassle with my shoulder...after a off...........one of many i have to say....but it was worth it.........glad you had a great weekend........;)

Did the course on the 12 (like my own) in August and loved it Want to do it again next summer. Initially I wanted to try it on the 650 (wimping:eek:) but the decision was made for me because they only had 1200 bikes left when I could go, so it was in at the deep end rather than miss out :eek::eek:.

I am late forties, 13 stone, 5'8" not fit and never off road before so if I can do it then I reckon most people can:thumb:thumb.

I reckon I got far more out of it that I could use on-road and anywhere else by doing the course on the bike I usually ride.

TP

I did the course on a 1200 as it was closer to my 1150 than the other bikes. I had multiple tumbles, but none quite as effective as Shready's - hope you get well soon!

The one thing that affected me most on the first day was cramp. After the slow-speed riding exercises, I started to get various parts of me cramping up, legs, arms and the fingers in either hand. I had been drinking what I felt was a lot, and even had a Camelbak with me, but in hindsight it still wasn't enough as I only had to go to the loo at lunch. The second day, I chugged down about 3 litres overall, and I hardly had any cramp problems at all. Also, if you're prone to cramp, avoid coffee and eat some bananas as the potassium helps.

The course was fantastic. I'm dying to get some practice in, and I'm already wondering when I can come back and do it again.

I had multiple tumbles, but none quite as effective as Shready's - hope you get well soon!

The one thing that affected me most on the first day was cramp. After the slow-speed riding exercises, I started to get various parts of me cramping up, legs, arms and the fingers in either hand. I had been drinking what I felt was a lot, and even had a Camelbak with me, but in hindsight it still wasn't enough as I only had to go to the loo at lunch. The second day, I chugged down about 3 litres overall, and I hardly had any cramp problems at all. Also, if you're prone to cramp, avoid coffee and eat some bananas as the potassium helps.

The course was fantastic. I'm dying to get some practice in, and I'm already wondering when I can come back and do it again.

Thanks, just got back from the Docs and apparently I have broken 2 ribs:eek: Plus, the pain killers I have been taking (Tramadol) invalidate my insurance:blast

Been given lots of new pills to take, so fingers crossed.

I had cramp on day 1 as well, I was OK on day 2 after drinking lots of water and taking your banana advice:thumb

We did take in a lot of fluids in the evenings too:beerjug: Great company:thumb, pity they stopped serving us, that was a session in the making.

Thanks, just got back from the Docs and apparently I have broken 2 ribs:eek: Plus, the pain killers I have been taking (Tramadol) invalidate my insurance:blast

Been given lots of new pills to take, so fingers crossed.

I had cramp on day 1 as well, I was OK on day 2 after drinking lots of water and taking your banana advice:thumb

We did take in a lot of fluids in the evenings too:beerjug: Great company:thumb, pity they stopped serving us, that was a session in the making.

Bad news about the insurance - how come the painkillers were a problem? Was it because they allowed you to 'soldier on'?

To be honest I'm glad we stopped drinking when we did, it would have been a shame to ruin a good course due to a stupid hangover. I did get suitably merry in the evening, but I was still chugging back the water like nobody's business, and I didn't notice any real after-effects in the morning - result :D

Bad news about the insurance - how come the painkillers were a problem? Was it because they allowed you to 'soldier on'?

The painkillers were in the cupboard, I was prescribed them last year when I broke my arm skiing :blast

I assumed they would be OK. Apparently, they are very strong and you cannot drive whilst taking them, I guess it wasn't an issue when I broke my arm as I couldn't drive then anyway.

Taking full strength Ibuprofen, Paracetamol and some Codeine now, I'm starting to rattle:D

This sounds so much fun and educational too on learning more about handlin the bikes off road, would love to give it a go but will have to wait for now as funds are limited :blast , maybe the later part of next yr and in the womens group as Janie suggest :cool:

Back
Top Bottom