Metallic noise from left side of bike

snoopy

Buggered if I know what this new problem is, I've got a loud metallic sound from the left side of bike (think it's coming from engine). It only occurs sometimes when accelerating (hard-ish) in lower gears.

It's an 52 plate which I thought had the new auto-cam chain tensioners. Any ideas?

Sprocket nut isn't loose, chain is set-up correctly and nothing else is loose so it's got to be from the engine... :nenau

have you lubed the chain recently ;)

seriously are you getting any metal swarf anywhere? I had a knocking on a ZZR600, it would disappear at higher speeds, when I finally worked out what it was I could have cacked myself as it was one of the wheel bearings and the knocking was the nuts holding the rear sproket on hitting the swing arm... didnt take long to work out the problem, but could have been nasty

Oil change recently and no bits in it. It's not drinking much either. Performance is like out the factory. Maybe a bearing has gone somewhere and is resonating. Since I haven't changed any - where should I look?

Bike has done 7,000m now (if previous owner didn't disconnect the speedo. :rolleyes: )

The DR-Z camchain is on the righthand side of the engine.

The camchain should last about 15-20k miles before there's no more adjustment left in the auto-tensioner. Then it all sounds like a bag of spanners.

Do you have a sprocket case-saver fitted? Have a look to see if the outer edge of the chain is catching.

Greg

Does it make the noise when the bike is running but stationary?

If it does, it isn't the above and could well be the camchain. Have a careful listen.

Greg

I reckon it's at about 6-7000rpm's in 2nd & 3rd gear. It's only happening occasionally and appears to be less-frequent when the bike has warmed. Definitely left side of bike as well. Only happening when bike is moving.

:nenau on this one.

Yeah, turned over and started fine.

I was praying there was no damage from running with no or very little oil. :eek: but the crank couldn't have been dry as it was still dripping (although took 1litre+ oil to get it back to the min level after sorting the leak).

PS) I like the inferred "you" - I prefer "it" as I didn't have a choice in the matter!

Yeah, turned over and started fine.

I was praying there was no damage from running with no or very little oil. :eek: but the crank couldn't have been dry as it was still dripping (although took 1litre+ oil to get it back to the min level after sorting the leak).

Yeah, but, even if it wasn't dry it may well have lost pressure to the main bearings which could have been enough to do some damage :nenau

I think the fact that it only started making the noise after you dumped your oil (presumably at some speed if you were on the M1) would point to a link - I'd get it listened to by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Good luck!

Andres

Sorry; after you dumped your oil should read after it dumped its oil :D

It's still there. Running fine so I'll just ignore it .... and hope...... :augie

I know it's not the same bike but on a DR650 it best to remove the upper chain roller.... it sounds like your chains knackered.

I'd park it somewhere where it's easy to nick...:blast

Chain is nearly brand new DID O ring.

Noise is inside the engine not from chain, otherwise I'm unable to narrow it down. Feck am I taking the engine apart it can blow up then I'll ebay for one. :thumb2

How do I check, I'm thick when it comes to engine internals.

Also, only 2nd/3rd gear near max torque (6-7krpm)

The problem has been fixed.

Ever since it was nicked the rattle has stopped. :nenau :mmmm

Now it's really been fixed. :thumb

Fitted Supermoto wheels and the noise has gone, it's the bearing in one of the wheels, not too sure which yet.

Back
Top Bottom