How to make a Canbus GPS cable for a 1200GS

Stumpy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You will need

1 BMW canbus plug(If you have trouble finding one PM me I can get them)
1 GPS power cable
Small amount of 4-5 mm and 3-4mm heat shrink
solder
soldering iron
heat gun
wire strippers
wire cutters

189002981-M.jpg

189003012-M.jpg

Unroll the GPS cable and cut off the inline fuse. The canbus system will protect the GPS unit. If you really really want to keep it in but I don't feel there is any need.

189003049-M.jpg

Thread the end of the GPS cable though a piece of 5-6mm heat shrink about 15 cm long then bare the ends of the wires

189003083-M.jpg

On the BMW socket there are 3 yellow wires numbered 1,2,3.

1 is negative/earth
2 is spare/pulse
3 is positive/ live

Cut number 2 short but not too short you want to be able to tuck it in the heat shrink later. Trim 1 & 2 thread on the 3-4 mm heat shrink as shown

189003212-M.jpg

Tin and solder the wires Black to wire 1 Red to wire 3

189003237-M.jpg

Cover the joints with the heat shrink and gently play the heat gun over them

189003357-M.jpg

Slide the larger piece of heat shrink up over both joints remembering to tuck the tale of wire 2 in the top and repeat with the heat gun

189003328-M.jpg

Thats the cable complete:thumb

The cable plugs into a matching socket attached to the wiring harness located around the headstock. It is covered with a black blanking plug and can be hard to find. The blanking plug has a sprung clip at its base which needs pressing while you remove it.

189003468-M.jpg

Regards

Stumpy

Great pictures, really clear. But wotz it for ????? Wotz the benefit?????
:confused:

Hiya

It provides an easy "switched" feed for any sat nav systems. As the socket is in the headstock its fairly easy run for the cable. no running wires under the tank to the battery etc. Easy to remove once you sell the bike etc

Stumpy

Thanks for the guide. It didn't take long to make up the cable, and I could easily get to the Canbus feed without removing any panels :thumb

Thanks Stumpy

Managed to get a canbus plug from Southport Superbikes who keep them in stock:blast
So with your excellent instructions I should be able to accomplish the task:thumb:thumb

Couldn't rsist

Errr.....who should be able to accomplish the task. :augie

;)

:D

Of course I knew BTBR would do a perfect job:bow:bow with tea and biscuits of cours:D Mind more impressed with his pedal cycles than any GS:thumb
Thanks, Alan.oh and it all works:clap:clap

Maybe someone could start selling these already made up. For people like me who are crap at anything technical. Plus I would have to go out and buy a soldering iron, and all the other bits.

power_connector.jpg

part number 80 00 0 611 656 (£8.52)

i'm about to buy some of these and do this myself. i went to a dealer today and they denied all knowledge of this part, but i'll be taking a print of that in next time.

gingercoastie, the problem is that they are often different for each GPS. if i can find a source of the plugs i'll make you one. you'll have to post me your cable and £8.52. geeks have soldering irons :)

I ordered my Zumo this morning, when it comes I will pm you for the address.

Brilliant info, thanks very much. :thumb2

i'm about to buy some of these and do this myself. i went to a dealer today and they denied all knowledge of this part, but i'll be taking a print of that in next time.[/QUOTE]

I phoned Coopers of Tunbridge Wells re this part, about 6 weeks ago. Spoke to a really helpful mechanic who told me the specific part varies depending on the GS model year - but to come along (about 70 mile round trip), they'll order the part and show me where it fits on the bike.

I eventually got there a couple of Saturdays ago, no sign of the mechanic nor the guy on the service desk that I normally deal with - only 2 very unhelpful gents who told me this part did not exist, that if I wanted a second (gps) accessory socket then they'd have to fit it - £100 plus the vat. Ker ching!!! No thanks, shan't be using them again! :spitfire

Brilliant info, thanks very much. :thumb2

I phoned Coopers of Tunbridge Wells re this part, about 6 weeks ago. Spoke to a really helpful mechanic who told me the specific part varies depending on the GS model year - but to come along (about 70 mile round trip), they'll order the part and show me where it fits on the bike.

I eventually got there a couple of Saturdays ago, no sign of the mechanic nor the guy on the service desk that I normally deal with - only 2 very unhelpful gents who told me this part did not exist, that if I wanted a second (gps) accessory socket then they'd have to fit it - £100 plus the vat. Ker ching!!! No thanks, shan't be using them again! :spitfire
If it's just the yellow end that connects to the bike - if you become a subscriber to this site you can PM Stumpy who can probably help ;)

If you need the end that plugs into your sat nav post up what model you have and someone may be able to help.

I found the cable for my garmin 2610 at Amazon for a very reasonable price!

nice thread! Wheres the best place to get a heat shrink kit from? Halfords?

Thanks

Tony

canbus cable

Hiya
I wonder if you could get me one of those canbus plug thingies please

nice thread! Wheres the best place to get a heat shrink kit from? Halfords?

Thanks

Tony

I've bought various diameter lengths from ebay cheaper than I could find at Auto Electricians etc,

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=heat+shrink

Hiya
I wonder if you could get me one of those canbus plug thingies please

Go to your nearest BMW Motorrad dealer - all the part numbers, everything you need to know here:

GPS Sat Nav Power Connection ....'how to' article
:)

I never botherered with the plug., I just ran a little solder over the ends of the satnav wires to make them stiff and they pushed into the contacts in the headstock socket. Then just pushed the dust cover back in place with the wires running salong the edge and covered the socket with self amalgamating tape.

A bit basic but it must have taken all of three minutes and has worked perfectly for the last two years.

Back
Top Bottom