Routes and the GPS S-Pilot/BMW Navigator

darren

Hi

Leaving for Greece on Tuesday and been playing with my new toy. Using Mapsource, I planned a route down to Brindisi avoiding motorways most of the way. When I did this, I selected the maps for the route and downloaded it to my GPS. Unfortunately, The route gets truncated after about 500/600 miles and is incomplete? Any ideas?

I know I could just route to eache place as I go, but surely this defeats the object? As I said, I planned this route avoiding motorways for the most part, with some motorway around Italy etc., as an oportunity to make time up if I need to, in order to catch my ferry on Saturday.

Can anyone help, or is the file just too big? By the way maps total about 64mb (Card is 128mb) so it can't be that. Is it the unit that can't take such a big route?

Help anyone? (Can mail file if anyone wants to take a look)

Thanks, Darren

Darren,

Some of the Garmin units truncate routes to a maximum of 30 waypoints, so if you have say 35 waypoints in your route you will only be ‘routed’ to the 30th waypoint.

Upating the firmware in the GPS may help . I had this problem with a GPS V, checked for revisions and found the fix in the latest release. If this is not the solution, let Garmin service know and they might be able to help.

Darren,
If, by truncated, you mean that there's not much detail. That is most likely because some countries will not release the full mapping details to Garmin. I asked them why Spain had very little detail and that was their reason. They can only put the details on the CD-ROMs that they are given.

Darren as you are unable to make the GPS evening @ Brackens give John Hill a call - he of all things Garmin & Touratech he will know why and he'll be happy to help especially as you won't beble to make it down to his do! - The number for Bracken's is 020 7232 1814. :beer:

Thanks everyone for your help. Too late now, leaving tomorrow and loaded all maps for my trip. Not gonna bother with route etc. I learnt the route and will now 'route as I go' on this trip. I picked out some good roads and will let the BM Navigator do the rest. Sorry I can't make the Bracken evening, that would ahve been good.

Howard: My init just stopped routing at 600 miles or so! Then seemed to just rely on basemap detail? It just stopped the turn by turn thing, weird. Will sort it when I get back,

Bye all, wish me a safe trip!

PS Have mailed John Hill and will let you know on my return if I hear anything.

Holiday starts......................NOW!!!

Back
Top Bottom