Recommend hand guards

snoopy

I had the OE suzuki ones on and they broke in the lightest drop known to man. So what would you recommend.

PS) I'm not spending £60 on some when I can get a set of spare levers for a fiver.

FWIW I always do mine up loose/tight enough so that a (good) knock will move them in much the same way as you would your clutch and brake levers.

That way they'll do the job they are designed to do as 'brush guards' and absorb impacts without breaking.

Used the same gurads (cheapo Polisport ones) SM racing for two seasons done this way :thumb2

I'm not convinced by the metal framed ones as it worries me that if they bend they may be dificult to bend back out again :nenau plus they can be boggin' expensive :mmmm

Andres

They moved (because the clamps were crap) and broke.

Since I've got the big bar-ends on and they give it 3inch's of clearance in total will I look daft on the Cumbrian Rally doing without? I'd be taking spares as well.

A.

They moved (because the clamps were crap) and broke.

Since I've got the big bar-ends on and they give it 3inch's of clearance in total will I look daft on the Cumbrian Rally doing without? I'd be taking spares as well.

A.

Not sure I understand?

If the bar clamp and the bar end bolt are equally loose then the guards will move and not break.
If only one is loose then then only half the guard can move and it is more likely to break (as it will twist) than if both fasteners were done up super tight.

Dunno why you are worried about looking daft without them, I'd be more worried about damaging my digits without them :nenau

Andres

I have the aluminium framed ones on the Honda, damned if I can remember which make they are though!:nenau (Cycra?) They have been on the bike for three years, and at the time of purchase were the ones offering the biggest clearance between bar and guard.
The main thing is that they have done a brilliant job, the bike has been cartwheeled at least twice by its inept pilot (that would be me then :eek:) at full speed, and had numerous slow speed drops, including one down a waterfall :eek:
The force of one crash even bent the handlebar clamp mounting bolt in the top yoke. Another required the clamps loosening as the bars were twisted 30 degrees from straight! I use them less as "brush" guards, more for deflecting oak trees from my path.
What I'm getting at, is that the force you would require to bend a proper set of ally hand guards is such that the fact that they were bent would be the least of your worries, IYSWIM.
I consider the price paid to be well worth it, and anything less to be false economy. IMHO :D
Mark

What I'm getting at, is that the force you would require to bend a proper set of ally hand guards is such that the fact that they were bent would be the least of your worries, IYSWIM.
I consider the price paid to be well worth it, and anything less to be false economy. IMHO :D
Mark

That's a very fair point and food for thought :thumb2

Andres

i use polisport plastic ones...stood up to plenty of tumbles so far :thumb2

Forget everything you know and fit the GS handguards. Superb. :thumb2

Best mod on my bike.

I've decided to fit....... 1150GS guards. I know they work. :thumb2

I've just fitted a pair of GS 1150 ones to Tina's XTZ 660 Tenere since they also provide more weather protection than the general off road brush guards.

They really work don't they. The plastic absorbs the battering. Yesterday when the shitsters nicked my bike the blow to the ground snapped the GPS bracket and mirror. Hand guards and levers fine. :thumb

The aluminium ones bend and the Suzuki OE ones just snap. And just £20 delivered for some 1150 2nds...

Tip,
drill a small hole in the bottom so they don't fill up with water :)

Back
Top Bottom