Garmin 176

Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
Has anyone got or had any experience with the Garmin 176 GPS. I’ve heard that these babies although physically big are the dog whatsits when it comes to storing map detail i.e. the whole of the UK and most of Europe down to street level on One 128mb plug in data cartridge.
I’ve also heard Touratech do a handle bar mount for these.

Garmin GPS III

Hey Paul Nice Logo :)

I am also trying to find out about the Garmin products I've not heard anything about the the one you're interestd in but I've heard the Garmin GPS III is meant to be pretty good. I know next to nothng about GPS units so I'm not even sure what makes a good or a bad one!

If anyone can give us some info on either it would be appreciated.

Safe Riding
Simon Thomas:beerjug:

Last edited:
The GPS 176 screen is a lot bigger, it also has the ability to accept Data cartridges up to 128MB to upload the maps onto.
The GPS III+ only has a 1.5MB memory which means I can only get Mid & North Wales map data on to it.
The new GPS V although physically the same size as the GPS III+ has 19MB of memory and the facility to ‘guide’ you turn by turn.
I think the 176 and the GPS V are about he same price but the 176 wins in my books because of the lager screen.

Garmin GPS

I work for a company that use field engineers to undertake our work and my local engineer covers Cheshire, Staffordshire, North & Mid Wales. He has been using one of the Garmin GPS units (the larger screen version (176) for over three weeks and has not looked at a map in all that time. Bear in mind he will have a minimum of 4 jobs per day that can take him all over the place and even extremely remote place (North Wales Forests). I can not think of a stronger reccommendation than that for the Garmin unit.

gps

hi hope this helps

more info @ www.garmin.com/products/bmwNavigator/#

The BMW Motorcycles Navigator is a derivative of the popular StreetPilot III satellite navigation system and is sold exclusively by North American BMW Motorcycles dealers (see button on left side of page for a list of dealers). It is initially offered as standard equipment on the BMW K 1200 LTE, and offers motorcyclists the ultimate in custom-designed satellite navigation.

The BMW Motorcycles Navigator takes the best of GARMIN GPS technology and offers BMW riders exclusive features, such as an internal database of all BMW Motorcycle retailers across North America, a unique audio interface, a customized mounting system, and a 64-MB datacard. This portable satellite navigation system pinpoints the rider's location on a high-resolution, color map and delivers the added benefits of turn-by-turn directions and voice guidance. After the rider selects a destination, the system calculates the best route, develops a directory of turn instructions, and audibly notifies him when he is approaching the next turn or final destination. The Navigator is also waterproof, so adventures are not limited to fair weather.

BMW Motorcycles Navigator. Leave the navigating to us.

Package Contents
Standard:
BMW Motorcycles installation kit
MapSource™ City Navigator CD-ROM
MapSource™ MetroGuide CD-ROM
64 MB data card
USB data card programmer
Remote antenna (GA 26C)
PC interface cable
One United States or Canadian DCA (Detailed Coverage Area—customer selects
one of 10 DCAs, each of which includes multiple metropolitan areas.)
Owner’s manual
Quick start guide

Optional:

Bean bag mount
Deluxe carrying case
8, 16, 32, 64, 128 MB data cards
Power/data cable
External speaker with 12-volt adapter cable
Access to other DCAs
Dash mount

:homer

A few points.

Touratech make handlebar mounts for all the Garmin models. Some aren't in the catalogue yet, but are available.

A US StreetPilot III CANNOT use European data. It's all to do with map copyright. A European version can be loaded with US maps. Maybe this will change with time, but it's the latest info from Garmin.

The 176 hold more street level map, but it's rare to need that much. The 19Mb in the GPS V is enough to do a lap of the world to A road detail.

The features differ quite a bit, but so do peoples needs. You pays your money and takes your choice.

GPS

Hey John,

That sounded very familiar, You must be one of theose clever bolkes "who knows all about tese GPS thingy's":illbe

Thaks for all your help last week.:clap

See you soon
Simon T

Hello

I have been considering buying the 176 from the states.

Can the European maps be unlocked for this model?
Any one have a picture of this monster mounted on a GS?
There is one on eBay as well, any members buy a GPS off eBay?

Its looks very big, and I am not sure if I should do this one
of the street pilot. They both seem to use a lot of juice.

Thanks
jason

gps mounts:
http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts.html#065-0041

I took the plunge and bought the 176 last week and must say I’m impressed.
Unfortunately if you buy from the US you can not use the European map data. Have a look at GPS Warehouse

176a.jpg

176b.jpg

Paul:
It looks the absolute dog's . . . but I can't find details at GPS Warehouse. Do your comments infer that it's not available in the UK? Where did you get yours from? How much? Where from and how much the Touratech mount?
I know little/nothing about these units but have been looking into buying one. I thought I'd made my mind up about the GPSIII+, especially at the realistic prices now offered but you've made me rethink.
Keep us posted with any news now that you're using it on a regular basis.
Oh yeah, I want to use mine as a hand-held as well . . . the 176 looks big but how much does it weigh compared to the III+ ?
Cheers,
Simon

The Touratech mount was from Bracken (020 7232 1814 and ask for John Hill) £50 and the GPS was from GPS Warehouse (click here) £433.

I used to have the Garmin GPSIII+ but this one is so much quicker at scrolling and booting up etc….. even with the 64 Meg data cartridge. You can also configure the screen how you want it i.e. you can control what data is displayed where.

The GPSIII+ weighs 9oz the 176 is 14oz so it is a little heavier.

I’m off to France and Switzerland on Thursday and have loaded the whole of these Two countries down to street level plus the bottom half of the UK. I’ll let you know how it performs when I get back.

Hi Paul
Sorry to go off track but tell me about the handle bars,
nice bit of kit can you get sky:D

cheers
mark

The bars are standard GS items modified by Vern to move the GPS forward, if the unit is fitted to the original cross brace when riding with the Touratech Tank Bag fitted it can not be seen.

Vern ?? Where and how much ??

There must be another GPS thread somewhere, Paul, I posted a query about the 176 - I have been told that it is a Marine unit not a road one and therefore contains a basemap of Marine features not Roads. Can you shead any light on this ?

The modified bars are £45 exchange i.e. you give him your old ones and receive the moded ones or, the modification can be carried out to your original ones, contact via Email

The 176 is a marine unit but, the base map is roads as well as Marine features. Once the data cartridge is in you can upload the Roads & Rec data down to street level :)

Paul:
Sorry to pester you but you are now my GPS guru and I think I'm going to get a 176 (I'll await your tales on your return from Europe).
Apart from the basic unit, what have you bought as extra . . . presumably a power lead for the bike rather than use batteries; memory cards; CD-rom maps; blah blah. How much for all this lot?
Finally, are the software and the process of uploading from CD to card straight-forward? Do you need PC and card interface leads? Are these extras.
OK . . . in short, tell us everything. When you get back I'd be pleased to hear how your set-up fares and what you'd buy/do differently.
Cheers
Simon
PS Have a great trip . . . business or pleasure? Do you know the area? I know the French and Swiss Alps very well if you want any recommendations for biking routes.

The unit £433 comes with bare power/data cable, I’ve wired mine straight into the GS wiring harness so there is a permanent live to the GPS. It also comes with GPS to PC serial data cable. I bought a PC serial/cigarette to GPS cable £33 + 240v ac to 12v dc power adaptor £9. The 64 meg Data Card was £102.

You can get a USB card reader which would allow you to upload the maps to the 64meg card in about 5 minutes but, I just use the serial connector which takes about 2 hours… no problem.

The Touratech handlebar mount was £50 from Bracken.

The Garmin CD’s Road’s & Recreation CD’s I already have but are about £60 each, the Europe Roads & Recreation one would be good for starters.

OK Paul, you're obviously back from the Alpine jaunt. Full road test of the 176 ???
How was the trip. Did you try out any of the routes I recommended?
I'll probably go down to Bracken's on July 30th to the Garmin and Touratech evening that Yosi's organised. You thinking of going?
Simon

Simon the trip was excellent, to ride from mid 30’s to near freezing within an hour has to be done to be believed. We rode most of the passes you talked of plus more.
The GPS was absolutely impressive. We had set routes riding down but used the GPS for a large amount of the passes. We rode from the South east to the North West and then from the North West to Le Harve using no maps just relying on the 176’s capabilities…. Highly recomended.
Alps 2002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom