Honda XL600 Advice needed

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody got any experience of Honda XL600s? I've been offered an immaculate and totally original Paris Dakar model for £1500. It's got the 7.5 Gallon tank and looks great. I seem to remember top end problems with the engines but never really took much notice of them.

Are the engines any good?

They're OK but only put out about 25 to 30 bhp so are shall we say sluggish.
Need normal Honda 1000 mile oil changes and can wear bores and heads/rockers etc quite quickly and the running gear is budget. Watch the gold anodised DID rims as they rot and delaminate from the inside. They look immaculate until they fall to bits.
Not a patch on genuine XR600's and the engines aren't as tough as say the Dominator motors for some reason

Watch the gold anodised DID rims as they rot and delaminate from the inside.

Good advice, my Africa Twin wheels did exactly this. Got another set from a breaker in France (good place to pick up used parts for trail bikes....:)) when I was living in Paris.

Nice looking bikes. I always quite liked the 'original' Blue XT600 Tenere that we never got here.

Rob,

The xl600lm is a good bike...both kick and electric start if it has the red engine casings. That price is a tad high and the bike isn't any better than any other 600cc thumper. I had one..and some pleb in the bikeshop I bought it off, replaced a camshaft bearing with the wrong type..and a £350 bill ensuded. As said above...they are getting a little old now...and those gold anodised wheels will be suffering ( easily noticeable ) and I paid £130 for a second hand one ( unique wheel btw any ones off XR's etc etc DON't fit !! )
If it's in good nick then I'd buy it if I were you ... tubeless spoked wheels as well :)

Cheers Kenny :thumb

PS Normal price is around £1,000 give or take £200

Oh..and do make sure the silencer is OK..getting scare..I put an aftermarket jobbie on mine...but with the engine rebuild, wheels, TKC's, silencer etc etc it was getting a tad annoying/pricey fior what I wanted the bike for....still recommend one though :)

xl

iv had 3 600,s all good, cams are ok on the 600 it was the earlier ones...
took loads of abuse and never failed, 1500 seems a lot tho,,,,,
change the oil v often too.
i considered these the best big single around ,till i got a FUNDURO,u,l pay less and get a better ,faster, more economic bike,there,r jus pig ugly,but i luuurv mine

plenty of spares for both makes still

my xl600rd stuffed the exhaust valves into the piston, can't get spare exhaust valves :thedummy:thedummy

it's going on ebay imminently

I've got a ttr 600 now which is 10 times the bike for 2k with 3 1/2 000 miles on it

Rob

good bike stong and quite handsome i thinks. the rims are tubless, good to have kick and electic start.twin headlights ect. BUT THEY ARE PRETTY SLOW as already mentioned. if thats not a problem and you can get it for a decent price (for £1500 it should be immaculate ,really low miles ect) i should think it would be ok.
BUT as already mentioned a decent funduro or late 02 plate xt6oo can be brought.I recently brought an old (1990) DR800s 29 ltr tank model and that goes really well and good prices aswell. i would definatly reccommend a DR800 if you want a single with good smooooth power and very reliable.i dont think theres one made thats any better:augie

:hide:hide

xl600lm

I owned an XL600LM-used it to travel in and around London when I was there and used it to travel to Northern Ireland about every two months. Found it a great bike alough was a bit sluggish top end. I also did 620 miles in one day on it (London-Southampton-followed coast to Lands End, took picture and returned to London via A303). A good looking bike, was one of the first Paris Daker lookalikes. Last i heard of it, it was in North Wales ( Reg No KJI 383). Had it a couple of years and served me well.

XL valves

my xl600rd stuffed the exhaust valves into the piston, can't get spare exhaust valves :thedummy:thedummy

it's going on ebay imminently

I've got a ttr 600 now which is 10 times the bike for 2k with 3 1/2 000 miles on it

Rob

I have just spoken to my mate and he has had new valves and guides fitted by our local Honda bloke with Honda parts, all done last summer!

Can send you the contact details if you are interested, how much would you be selling it for, will ask my mate if he is interested!

cheers
D

xl

They're OK but only put out about 25 to 30 bhp so are shall we say sluggish.
Need normal Honda 1000 mile oil changes and can wear bores and heads/rockers etc quite quickly and the running gear is budget. Watch the gold anodised DID rims as they rot and delaminate from the inside. They look immaculate until they fall to bits.
Not a patch on genuine XR600's and the engines aren't as tough as say the Dominator motors for some reason

bores and cam journels only wear if oil is neglected like any other engine (theres a correct way to read the oil level which not everybody is aware off}i have never seen xl600lm wheels rot.transalp,xrv and nx seem to be the main culprits .build quality seems to be the same between all xl and xr models from the eighties although the xr is up on power 10%.as far as the nx is concerned it does not come close to the xl in power,build quality or off road ability.drop the nx one time and the plastics will go to bits.i have had a lot of rfvc motors apart and the build quality has declined from the original motors.nx,slr and vigor seem to be made to a low budget.out of all the single trail bikes i would go for a xt600 tenere dual start or the xl600lm depending on condition and price.if you have owned these bikes and had them running correctly then you know they are difficult to fault.best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom