:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

It's not what you ride...... it's how you ride :thumb

I've upet quite a few on the twisties... :eek:
and der Nürburgring... :eek::eek:
on my...
F650GS-Dakar

Are you sure Mick :confused:

Are we not simply rambling in our old age cause we cannae fit on a sports bike anymore....:rolleyes:

I must have been dreaming about the number of times I've encountered them in the way....are you sure you weren't ...:nenau

What else could we fat geriatrics have been thinking of....:rob.

I suggest you Moderate your ramblings sir before you get carted off in a white van...mine is booked for a week on Tuesday BTW...:D

So that will be Sheila needing new boots yet again Mike:D

You really should get her some with nice titanium strips down the outside edges so that she can leave a blinding cloud of sparks behind you....

Sure you're not mistaking me for someone else Kevan..... I'm a 'Fat Geriatric' apparently, rambling on and have 'Failings'...;)

(Just as well her boots are Altbergs, and able to be rebuilt)

Lotsa grand pronouncements about riding ability so far, and without wishing to take anything away from the acomplished riders on GSs or sportsbikes ...................

The GS in it's various guises does flatter the "average rider" on normal roads, but in the hands of an "acomplished rider" - is very hard to beat unless the sportsbike rider is lucky enough to have long straights to gain enough ground.

Al :augie

Sure you're not mistaking me for someone else Kevan..... I'm a 'Fat Geriatric' apparently and rambling on with 'Failings'...;)

(Just as well her boots are ex-Wehrmacht, and able to be rebuilt)

There was something not quite right, there........... fixed :thumb2

Al :thumb

I also ride mainly two up me and the wife
i would rather wave them past
the sports bike are so powerful and i think many people who own/ride them take far too many risks i think it's a man thing
i'm old so what do i know :rob

For Fecks sake

Hear we go,same old shit,fer Christ sake why does what someone wears make any difference on how they ride.
Had a Bm suit ralley thingy for 5 months now,been to France twice (alps) Wales several times been pissed on lots, been bloody hot sometimes ,the suit was great ,Ive been biking for 35 years plus had from belstaff suits too full leathers and know what Id rather ride in ,the suit is a revelation.
and what the feck has age got to do with how quick you can ride thats bollocks,yes I have a GS and also a R6 for my trackdays the're two different feckin bikes.
No I dont wear the Bm suit for the trackdays:spitfire

oooooooh

calm down "dusty" theres no getting away from it when ever i see "that suit" i snigger as its usualy the case of "all the gear no f*cking idea":guitarist not my taste ive got to say a bit to "corporate suite" for my taste. wait for it:thedummy:thedummy

"Bikes are all about confidence, skill, experience etc etc and to be honest sounds like you would of left him on a 125 let alone a GS....."
I quite regularly get overtaken by schoolboys, even girls sometimes. They are on 50cc bikes & are in a hurry to get to or back from school. They posess one quality I do not have.... ' a complete lack of fear.' Don't mess with the kamakazi kids here in France. You could get the better of them but you will only contribute to the already high accident rate. (The same applies to some Fireblade riders)

A GS out corners a Fireblade? Perhaps on a gravel track!

Nope.......... the average bends in the UK :confused:

I'm not talking about the long sweepers - I'm talking about the 60mph twisties.

I've not got a whole heap of experience - 3 yrs and 30,000 miles............. but unless you are McGuiness-esque........ you'll be faster on the GS on those types of roads - I reckon.

Yes, I have a GS (1200Adv) and think it's brilliant :thumb2, But I also have an R-1 that given the choice.............. I would wheel it out the garage every time (It's so sexy - I should keep it in the bedroom :eek)

So I'm not totally anal about GSs - I just acknowledge what they are capable of :thumb2

(Did I tell you - I love my R-1 :kissy2)

Al :thumb2

Attachments

• Sexy.jpg
    Sexy.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,046
I often read of those poor folk who are torn between their current sports machine and the option of a trade in/up to a GS. Now then, let me enlighten you. Our machine is a '52 plate 1150, 27,000 miles. We do most of our riding two up and like to get out when we can. Owing to our chosen style of riding two up (sensible) we dont often have to use the GS in anger .....however, on a recent trip to Filey for chips on the Howden road we were 'troubled' by a Fireblade rider. Now I dont want to stereotype but he was the stereotypical character - all in black, black visor, black helmet, black bike. He shot up our proverbial back end in the middle of nowhere but seemed a bit reluctant to pass. So I turned it up a bit, did a few overtakes which I may not have ordinarily done with SWIMBO on board , and after a short while I looked in my mirrors to see the 'dark one' behind. Now I should say two things here (1) I am an advanced rider - to the highest attainable professional standard - both on and off road (if you get my drift), and (2) I can therefore ride a bike just a bit. Now it became quite apparent that Mr Blade was begining to tie himself up in knots trying to keep up with us. He was the type that lost it on the bendy bits and then raced up on the straights - but just wasnt looking far enough ahead to make his moves in advance of actually carrying them out. In the end he went past us on a clearly visible series of bends which were covered in double white lines. It made me cringe to see him commit himself to a series of moves which were not necessary and totally wrong. We let him go because he turned out to be an embarassment.What Im trying to say is that you should NOT doubt the overall ability and adaptability of the GS. Its an awesome tool and will do most things without any question. The newer models do look nice and Ive heard mostly good reports. Pesonally Ive had great back up from Rainbow and if you are even remotely thinking of getting a GS then you should do it. Ive had tens and tens of bikes over the years and this is trully the first one I simply cannot let go - Rainbow have recently offered me £5250 against a second hand 1200 - so they most certainly do hold their price. :thumb2

The truth is 'dude' the lad behind you was just a shit rider, it's not that the GS is something special because it's not! That coupled with fact that you class yourself as a good rider also ensured you remained in front of him...:thumb

I like yourself have done both ROSPA and IAM tests and never, when I rode a Gixxer 750 did a GS ever stay with me let alone over-take!

Trust me, I've seen a few 'numpties' riding GS's too!

And, as an 'advanced rider' you should know better than to take on one of these 'Sunday hero's' with a pillion too...:nenau

It's boring.....honest!

spoilt!

u lucky barrrrrrstard blackal what a dream combination of bikes:blast or nearly if only u had the 1150adv, still u cant have it all:augie:bounce1

05 1150 ADV.

u lucky barrrrrrstard blackal what a dream combination of bikes:blast or nearly if only u had the 1150adv, still u cant have it all:augie:bounce1

05 1150 ADV.

Oops! :blast Forgot................ I've got a 2004 BoxerCup Replika too........:augie

(I love my bikes:kissy2)

Yeah - the 1150Adv is the ultimate "adventure tool", but I got such a deal on the 1200, that I couldn't resist :nono

Still like the 1150 ADV, though :thumb2

Al :D

The truth is 'dude' the lad behind you was just a shit rider, it's not that the GS is something special because it's not! That coupled with fact that you class yourself as a good rider also ensured you remained in front of him...:thumb

I like yourself have done both ROSPA and IAM tests and never, when I rode a Gixxer 750 did a GS ever stay with me let alone over-take!

Trust me, I've seen a few 'numpties' riding GS's too!

And, as an 'advanced rider' you should know better than to take on one of these 'Sunday hero's' with a pillion too...:nenau

It's boring.....honest!

very true - GS's are slow old dogs against any 600 plus sports bike

I've not got a whole heap of experience - 3 yrs and 30,000 miles............. but unless you are McGuiness-esque........ you'll be faster on the GS on those types of roads - I reckon.

3 years ? whooo. you're completely wrong, by the way.

as discussed adnauseum on lots of threads....heres one f'rinstance .....http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96493

Real differences of opinion on this thread..................

Let me qualify what I have written before:

On the GS, I am sometimes amazed at how fast I got through a bend/corner ...... :thumb2

On the R-1, I am sometimes amazed that I got through the bend/corner so fast - without binning it...... :eek:

......... not down to my ability ( or lack of)............. just "horses for courses" :nenau

Al :)

3 years ? whooo. you're completely wrong, by the way.

as discussed adnauseum on lots of threads....heres one f'rinstance .....http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96493

Pardon me for qualifying my posts..............:blast, and I apologise for having an opinion after such a short time......... (aye - right)

........and apologies if we (or I) are/am boring you, but if we are - stop reading and Foxtrot Oscar :rob

Al :thumb2

(have a nice day, though)

Edit: Just read through the offered thread, and note your position then.........brilliant! How did you ever become a moderator????:

"well thats stirred it up nicely

my point is...that when i read about GS's being much quicker than sportsbikes, i really do have to smile.
its a ridiculous statement.

speeding on the road is for little boys ??

Are you serious ?

No-one rides at the speed limit out of town except for boring OLD bmw riders -
GS riders on the other hand give it a bit of stick when the opportunity arises.

Sounds like you're either too old and boring or on the wrong bike"

Just read through the offered thread, and note your position then.........brilliant! How did you ever become a moderator????:

cos i can usually tell whats right and whats wrong, who's right and who's wrong . ;)

Got nearly the top score in the entrance questionnaire :thumb

oh - and we're allowed opinions, thanks

surely its all about the rider on board,

Ive seen a lad on a recent trip to Scotland getting his panniers down on a F650gs with old mouldy Trail tyres on :eek::bow

I ride my 1200GS at or very near the speed limit and get passed by all and sundry on the road- cars, people carriers bikes the whole shabang

If I had a pocket rocket I would have a tinted visor and all the gear for safety, But I would still ride the same on the road, This doesnt make me a bad person or a crap rider it just makes me sensible IMO

Best of luck to you all who ride fast and have no chicken strips but for me Its al about getting to the destination and I dont mind being 15 minutes late.

I also ride alone so I dont get suckered into riding at someone elses pace which I have done before - and crashed as a result :eek::D

Jesus I sound boring dont I, but im not really :augie:D

very true - GS's are slow old dogs against any 600 plus sports bike
As usual it really does depend on how you go about measuring these things. I propose that your quote above is incorrect. When accelerating from 30mph to oooh lets say 85mph. While the GS is pouring torques all over the place and progressively steaming towards 85mph's the 600 is scrabbling about trying to either get the motor spinning up to suitable rpm or trying to keep the front wheel on the ground so steering is possible. By the time the 600 has caught up the GS is slowing for the next obstacle :thumb2

AND

a GS, due to it's excessive weight can take some corners more quickly because it flattens bumps and remains composed whilst a sports bike is being thrown offline by suspension designed for a smooth race track :thumb2

They are all bikes, bikes are good. Each suiting the environment that was considered in it's own design brief.

AND

I have a GS so therefore the GS is better than all the other bikes ever made. So ner :D

Back
Top Bottom