Considering a GS....read this

Speed comparisons

I sometimes ride (my 1200GS) in company with a friend on his Fireblade; We are both quite experienced. Whether he leads or I lead, the strange fact (to some) is that our speed is much the same; It is not the performance of our bikes that is the limiting factor....is it ever?......but how fast we feel we can ride in safety and without annoying other road users. (It would be a different matter on a track or down a muddy lane - but that is not our scene.) Oh, and there is that slight problem of speed cameras, radar etc;

Thanks one and all for your blogs. I now pronounce this thread deceased.....it is an ex - thread....an 'as been, and as such should now be ignored. Now wheel on the next unlucky contestant. Regards as ever..:cool:

Thanks one and all for your blogs. I now pronounce this thread deceased.....it is an ex - thread....an 'as been, and as such should now be ignored. Now wheel on the next unlucky contestant. Regards as ever..:cool:
Don't take it too hard :D
It's not closed either ;)

Are you sure Mick :confused:

Are we not simply rambling in our old age cause we cannae fit on a sports bike anymore....:rolleyes:

I must have been dreaming about the number of times I've encountered them in the way....are you sure you weren't ...:nenau

What else could we fat geriatrics have been thinking of....:rob.

I suggest you Moderate your ramblings sir before you get carted off in a white van...mine is booked for a week on Tuesday BTW...:D

You know dammned well Mike that the older I get the faster I was... must be true... I've got the T shirt :D

:beerjug:

:rob

took the cbr out for a spin today, down a road that's great on the dakar, but as i found out utter crap on the cbr, suspension just couldn't cope with the bumps. Was cornering slower on the cbr than the dakar :blast

The straights on the other hand :augie I'd leave the dak in the dust.

Farmboy, it was me, i wish :D

Seriously, you can chuck the 650's around a fair bit more than you'd expect. Not touched a pannier yet but it's close :bounce1

I often read of those poor folk who are torn between their current sports machine and the option of a trade in/up to a GS. Now then, let me enlighten you. Our machine is a '52 plate 1150, 27,000 miles. We do most of our riding two up and like to get out when we can. Owing to our chosen style of riding two up (sensible) we dont often have to use the GS in anger .....however, on a recent trip to Filey for chips on the Howden road we were 'troubled' by a Fireblade rider. Now I dont want to stereotype but he was the stereotypical character - all in black, black visor, black helmet, black bike. He shot up our proverbial back end in the middle of nowhere but seemed a bit reluctant to pass. So I turned it up a bit, did a few overtakes which I may not have ordinarily done with SWIMBO on board , and after a short while I looked in my mirrors to see the 'dark one' behind. Now I should say two things here (1) I am an advanced rider - to the highest attainable professional standard - both on and off road (if you get my drift), and (2) I can therefore ride a bike just a bit. Now it became quite apparent that Mr Blade was begining to tie himself up in knots trying to keep up with us. He was the type that lost it on the bendy bits and then raced up on the straights - but just wasnt looking far enough ahead to make his moves in advance of actually carrying them out. In the end he went past us on a clearly visible series of bends which were covered in double white lines. It made me cringe to see him commit himself to a series of moves which were not necessary and totally wrong. We let him go because he turned out to be an embarassment.What Im trying to say is that you should NOT doubt the overall ability and adaptability of the GS. Its an awesome tool and will do most things without any question. The newer models do look nice and Ive heard mostly good reports. Pesonally Ive had great back up from Rainbow and if you are even remotely thinking of getting a GS then you should do it. Ive had tens and tens of bikes over the years and this is trully the first one I simply cannot let go - Rainbow have recently offered me £5250 against a second hand 1200 - so they most certainly do hold their price. :thumb2
Hi I know a lot of proffesional riders as per GS Dude who have GS's..... just goes to prove it aint always the bike... I have ridden both 1100 and 1300 Pans from my lot and love them.... still rather hace a GS for all round fun, looks and the very people who ride them... Usually find riders with a GS tend to be long term bikers. Not just pass a test, have a scare, give the goverment some statistics and bugger off to a car.

I found this post intererestin as I less than a wk ago changed over from a lovely R6 to my 650 gs, shame I was not well off as would of kept both of them, such is life. Anyway the R6 was flash, fast, a pose machine, all in black it did look smart but I was amazed at how different the gs handled especially on the bends and our poor stated roads when I returned to the Island, its just a totally different ride, yes, naturally its not so quick off the mark and it took a while for my brain to engage that the excelleration was not so good but on the whole I am pleasantly surprised, its so much more comfortable and the corners are a breeze, I find that I can just chuck it into a corner with so much more confidence and itg leans pretty well too. I've had a bit of stick from people as to why I have changed to such a bike, your R6 was lovely etc etc but all I will say to people is dont knock a beemer until you've tried one, they really do dress to impress, I am pleased with mine, its just so different, as one person has already said, horses for courses :thumb2

I found this post intererestin as I less than a wk ago changed over from a lovely R6 to my 650 gs, shame I was not well off as would of kept both of them, such is life. Anyway the R6 was flash, fast, a pose machine, all in black it did look smart but I was amazed at how different the gs handled especially on the bends and our poor stated roads when I returned to the Island, its just a totally different ride, yes, naturally its not so quick off the mark and it took a while for my brain to engage that the excelleration was not so good but on the whole I am pleasantly surprised, its so much more comfortable and the corners are a breeze, I find that I can just chuck it into a corner with so much more confidence and itg leans pretty well too. I've had a bit of stick from people as to why I have changed to such a bike, your R6 was lovely etc etc but all I will say to people is dont knock a beemer until you've tried one, they really do dress to impress, I am pleased with mine, its just so different, as one person has already said, horses for courses :thumb2

Didn't want to prolong this thread but here goes.

I don't think people here are knocking the Gs series of bikes! IMHO it's more about a true appraisal of the pros and cons, by owners many of whom have a great number of years ownership upon which to base their views, rather than just believing what journalists have to say about their performance and handling.

IMHO no one bike ticks all the boxes, but a Gs comes closest, but it's no sports bike and don't kid yourself that is. A well ridden sports bike will out distance a well ridden Gs on the roads in GB other than on the worst road surfaces.

My tuppence worth to drag it out abit more..........................

Apart from my 07 GSA i currently own an 99 R1, 1989 GSXR750RK (pure circuit bike), 1989 CBX750 and a Honda Monkeybike.

I havent got a twat suit, Im still in full leather whatever bike i ride (even on the monkey!) and yes i do have a blacked out visor.

There is no way in hell that any GS will keep up with my sportsbikes on almost any road. Yes, in the real world the GSA soaks up the bumps and keeps the bike more stable in corners, giving you more corner speed, thats it!! I would be faster going in and faster coming out and thats before ive even hit a staight line.

Yes i love my new GSA, but get some perspective guys, the GS is a funduro!!

There is no competition between bikes, they are simply built for different styles or reasons in riding, there should be no competition, so what if one guy rides an R1 and another rides a GS or whatever it may be, they are all great in their own personnal way, one is built for the race track another for comfort and another for off road riding and so on, you cant say that one is better than the other they are simply different thats all :mmmm

Bleedin' 'eck, some peeps on here are no better than what Sports Bike riders are accussed of........" my bikes better than yours" ......... "judging peeps by their appearance"........blah blah blah :mmmm

Anybody riding a bike should be applauded in my book :thumb2

And as for a so called experianced rider purposefully taking another rider out of their 'comfort/safe zone' you should know better - how would you have felt if the rider had had an accident. And what exactly did you stand to prove :nenau

I love my GS and it is the PERFECT bike for ME but to say it's superior than a Blade/R1/whatever when it comes to being hustled along.......yeah right :mmmm

Andres

I pulled out of Snetterton circuit once, behind a Norton Commando.

This guy accelerated up to about 100 mph and stayed there apart from the odd roundabout etc.

I actually wondered if his throttle had stuck open.

If he was overtaking a truck and there was one coming the other way, he just made them swerve out the way.

Somehow I kept him in sight until the A11 then gave up.

this proves that the Commando is the fastest road bike.

:blast

"horses for courses"

No one would argue that a GS of any size is more suitable for IOW roads than an R6. However the same applies to any road that has a speed limit that cannot be 'safely' exceeded;

I get owned on my 1200GS by just about everything on the road. I'm 30 years old but I ride like a bitch. I'm not really into pushing bike to the limit though, just enjoy the freedom of riding and think the bike looks cool. Plus, I hate wearing biker clothes. The more 'gear' I have to put on, the less I enjoy biking. I think I'm actually a harley rider who doesn't like harleys:nenau

Turbo or not Turbo.....!!!!!!

........ just to add here, My prior bike to My GSA was a self built turbo Spony, I totally love My GS and have upset many many sports riders in last 18mths, they will have to bury Me with this one...!!!!!!!

why oh why ,chill out and just ride ,and whats wrong with black visors ? 90%of gs / tour x riders have black visors .and so they should as they are coooooool as .even more so if you wear it on a gsxr 1100 / c 90

Just check, black visor, black jacket, n years of ridin tuned up streetfighters, also collected the fines. yup got the lot!!!

Av just got me R 1100 GS, n a love it ,
its the combination of a big durt bike like me xl600 wi the fun of me gixer 1100 slabfighter , all rolled up in one n the best thing is, me bloody neck doesnt hurt at high speeds . exelent front screens.
Its the amount of gear ye can get to go around the world an back or just to the lakes for the weekend.
mines done 72000 n its still in good nick , so ive been converted from an X fighter hooligan , to a comfy gs riding nutter, (oh dear here goes the neighbourhood.)
to end this post before ye drop to sleep , its a great allrounder n a look foreward to meetin the rest of the community on the rides out.
ugg.

Never trust a man who tells ye hes, an MOT tester , stikkle bricks n leggo is his knowledge of bikes.. one in the eye SILVERBACK....ahaaha ugg.:monkeypiz

Just check, black visor, black jacket, n years of ridin tuned up streetfighters, also collected the fines. yup got the lot!!!

Av just got me R 1100 GS, n a love it ,
its the combination of a big durt bike like me xl600 wi the fun of me gixer 1100 slabfighter , all rolled up in one n the best thing is, me bloody neck doesnt hurt at high speeds . exelent front screens.
Its the amount of gear ye can get to go around the world an back or just to the lakes for the weekend.
mines done 72000 n its still in good nick , so ive been converted from an X fighter hooligan , to a comfy gs riding nutter, (oh dear here goes the neighbourhood.)
to end this post before ye drop to sleep , its a great allrounder n a look foreward to meetin the rest of the community on the rides out.
ugg.

Never trust a man who tells ye hes, an MOT tester , stikkle bricks n leggo is his knowledge of bikes.. one in the eye SILVERBACK....ahaaha ugg.:monkeypiz
least my eye aint colorblind,do ur own wirein, id like a laugh

Back
Top Bottom