Considering a GS....read this

GSdude

Reaction score
I often read of those poor folk who are torn between their current sports machine and the option of a trade in/up to a GS. Now then, let me enlighten you. Our machine is a '52 plate 1150, 27,000 miles. We do most of our riding two up and like to get out when we can. Owing to our chosen style of riding two up (sensible) we dont often have to use the GS in anger .....however, on a recent trip to Filey for chips on the Howden road we were 'troubled' by a Fireblade rider. Now I dont want to stereotype but he was the stereotypical character - all in black, black visor, black helmet, black bike. He shot up our proverbial back end in the middle of nowhere but seemed a bit reluctant to pass. So I turned it up a bit, did a few overtakes which I may not have ordinarily done with SWIMBO on board , and after a short while I looked in my mirrors to see the 'dark one' behind. Now I should say two things here (1) I am an advanced rider - to the highest attainable professional standard - both on and off road (if you get my drift), and (2) I can therefore ride a bike just a bit. Now it became quite apparent that Mr Blade was begining to tie himself up in knots trying to keep up with us. He was the type that lost it on the bendy bits and then raced up on the straights - but just wasnt looking far enough ahead to make his moves in advance of actually carrying them out. In the end he went past us on a clearly visible series of bends which were covered in double white lines. It made me cringe to see him commit himself to a series of moves which were not necessary and totally wrong. We let him go because he turned out to be an embarassment.What Im trying to say is that you should NOT doubt the overall ability and adaptability of the GS. Its an awesome tool and will do most things without any question. The newer models do look nice and Ive heard mostly good reports. Pesonally Ive had great back up from Rainbow and if you are even remotely thinking of getting a GS then you should do it. Ive had tens and tens of bikes over the years and this is trully the first one I simply cannot let go - Rainbow have recently offered me £5250 against a second hand 1200 - so they most certainly do hold their price. :thumb2

Agree entirely, have had many similar encounters, the weekend before last the latest on the way to meet HRH Oonyack at Tyndrum..

Two Rice Rockets, off like scalded cats on a straight...under't feet on the twisties......:nenau

Or as Mrs CC said over the intercom "Oh no, Here we go again!".....:D

CC- you just love playing with them...............:nono

I love my sports bike, and also my GSA, but have to admit - on the sports model - I need smooth roads (and know that they are smooth) to corner with the confidence that the GS suspension gives.

Al :thumb2

Yup,traded in me loverly Tiger for a 1150 last saturday........i love her alot already and she aint got a name yet.

using a name more elaborate than "the bike", "the GS" etc is seriously bad taste, methinks :nono

(bit like calling a Suzuki GXR 1000 - "Suzi" :barf)

(enjoy the bike, though :thumb)

have to agree

on the road the GS is awesome although I know for a fact I would be quicker on a litre sports bike then my GS although the GS would be more fun :)

On a track I'll take the sports bike any day please. Bikes are all about confidence, skill, experience etc etc and to be honest sounds like you would of left him on a 125 let alone a GS, must say it is good fun going round the outside of a full race rep on the road with a frindly wave.

on the road the GS is awesome although I know for a fact I would be quicker on a litre sports bike then my GS although the GS would be more fun :)

I'd be surprised, to be honest............. mid-bend bumps in the road unsettle a sports bike, whereas the GS suspension just soak them up :nenau

Al :)

What like this lot?

GSdude..........

Know what you mean, nothing better than giving this lot a run for there money :bounce1

Attachments

• power%20rangers%20mystic%20force%20007%208.jpg
    power%20rangers%20mystic%20force%20007%208.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 26,475

On a twisty road the GS's kick ass! On a straight a litre sportsbike will always be much faster, but it's just a straight line..... I gave up sports bikes years ago and wouldn't go back and if it were for a track day 750 max, no scratch that I'll just use the GS as usual.

And the configuration of a GS is So good thats why it wins the tt every year regardless of the rider and obviously that would be why they are so widely used in Moto-GP ...............................No wait a minute ..................
Its the usual ramblings of fat geriatrics who can no longer ride sports bikes because of there own failings

So you like your new bike .

Brilliant :thumb

But why does that all of a sudden make everyone elses choice Sh1te???

And yes I think the GS is a great bike as are many others . Including Sports bikes .

easy men

why oh why ,chill out and just ride ,and whats wrong with black visors ? 90%of gs / tour x riders have black visors .and so they should as they are coooooool as .even more so if you wear it on a gsxr 1100 / c 90

Im one of them blacked out sportsmachine riders, but i just bought a GS as well :thumb2

And the configuration of a GS is So good thats why it wins the tt every year regardless of the rider and obviously that would be why they are so widely used in Moto-GP ...............................No wait a minute ..................
Its the usual ramblings of fat geriatrics who can no longer ride sports bikes because of there own failings

And yes I think the GS is a great bike as are many others . Including Sports bikes .

I second all of that, well said:thumb

JDH

Me too.....:thumb

I have to agree, coming from a sportbike background. My last bike before getting GS'd was an R1 stupid fast and there is no way a GS would keep up with it. However, once i picked up my GSA everything just felt right. I stopped riding my R1 and eventually got rid of it. I am now much more confident in the corners on the GSA than i ever was on the R1. I recently went out with my brother in law and a mate of his. Both ride Ducati's, one on a 1098s and the other on a 916 and both race in the thunder series so are very experienced on the track. Needless to say their opinions of the GSA changed as the day progressed. We ended up at Pirbright bends where I started to pull away from the pair of them and was grinning from ear to ear under me Tour-x as me pegs touched down......:eek:
Don't get me wrong these boys new what they were doing and had they been on Jap bikes they would probably have dealt with the tighter corners better. For me though the GS feels how a bike should, the upright position is more natural, more comfortable, gives a better field of vision and is easier to turn. I guess you pays yer money and makes yer choice......:thumb

Spot on........... I posted much the same a month or so ago on another site - Say what you want................ John McGuiness knows his onions/bikes*

(*delete where applicable)

As for the folk that love to quote the "powerrangers" - I'm sorry.............. There is nothing more anal than a BMW rider complete with BMW Rallye Suit (most of whom think a beer run to Tescos is an adventure :augie)

Me? Love my GS1200A, but also love the sports jobby :thumb

I love sports bikes, ridden a few and owned a few in my time, the GS is an outstanding bike and in many ways outperforms the ZX10 I used to own....ask my two friends on their litre things, they got fairly whooped up in the corners, fair enough they had me on the straights but when a sports bike twats about in the corners, get the spotlights on with full beams, he'll soon get the feck out of the way :rolleyes:

:D

GS, sportsbikes, customs, whatever! ridden em all.. love em all. :clap

My Tuppence worth

I own a Blade ride it o.k ish, I think many a GS rider would struggle to stay with me (yet there are many more faster riders out there than me) But my GS is FABULOUS its just different,,,,thats why this lucky bugga has both, they give me the best of both worlds, if I had to pick only one........it'd be the GS....

be kind to all riders unless they ride like ...well I cant/should'nt say prats...so I will say that ride like they aint doing bikers a service.

:rob

The roads are full of useless newbie/born again/deluded sports bikes owners - it's your ability that kept you ahead of the 'Blade, not the ability of your GS.

Whatever modern bike I've ridden, I've always stuffed 99.9% of the sportsbike riders I've come across on the twisties, whether it's on my dog slow R850R, my wobbly Aprilia Caponord, my VFR's or my K1200S.

However, I have no doubt whatsoever that the same rider would be much quicker on a 'Blade than he would be on a GS on any road other than an extremely bumpy, twisty backroad in the Dales or Highland etc. - it's horses for courses. The GS is far too softly spung and under damped as standard to provide any serious competition. :thumb

Agree entirely, have had many similar encounters, the weekend before last the latest on the way to meet HRH Oonyack at Tyndrum..

Two Rice Rockets, off like scalded cats on a straight...under't feet on the twisties......:nenau

Or as Mrs CC said over the intercom "Oh no, Here we go again!".....:D

So that will be Sheila needing new boots yet again Mike:D

You really should get her some with nice titanium strips down the outside edges so that she can leave a blinding cloud of sparks behind you...........
they'd act like a beacon for the lesser riders behind you to show them the correct lines.:clap

Back
Top Bottom